U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:29 AM

16,291 posts, read 25,831,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
It’s a new vehicle touch it let dealer fix it why would anyone try to diganose a problem when it’s a new vehicle under warranty its up to the dealer to fix not for you to figure out. Don’t even open the hood just take it in.
Yup, I'm not doing a thing. This is on the dealer. (And I'm a girl, so... )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:38 AM

1,713 posts, read 2,093,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I have a 2018 Subaru Crosstrek. It's less than a year old.

It's been horribly cold the last few days (e.g. 1 degree Fahrenheit) but I work from home, so the car's been sitting outside in that cold for the last two days.

Today I had to run to the grocery store. The car started without a problem and off I went. I was in the store for 15-20 minutes and when I came out, my car wouldn't start. No sound of the engine trying to turn over. Nothing. I'm guessing that it's not a battery issue because my Android Auto and radio came on, no problem. But the car wouldn't start.

I flipped through the owner's manual to see if I could find a "trick" to this. Nope. Tried to start the car again. Nope to that too.

I put the key in the ignition with the Android Auto and radio on while I called Subaru CARE to help me. While I was waiting to get connected to an agent, I tried to start the car again. SUCCESS! And I went home.

Any idea what this could be? Did it make a difference that I was running the battery for a few minutes while trying to reach Subaru CARE and that's why it started?

I have synthetic oil in it, if that makes a difference to your thoughts on this.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks very much.
This sounds exactly like the early stage of starter motor failure. Intermittent unpredictable failure is typical of a starter motor going away. What is a little puzzling is starter failure with the car that new, but not unheard of. Next time it happens if tapping on the starter brings it to life a bad starter will be confirmed. Should be under warranty.

Old Yesterday, 07:41 AM

3,137 posts, read 1,837,806 times
bad connection I expect. if its a new vehicle its the dealers job to fix it as I assume its still under warranty.

Old Yesterday, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
This sounds exactly like the early stage of starter motor failure. Intermittent unpredictable failure is typical of a starter motor going away. What is a little puzzling is starter failure with the car that new, but not unheard of. Next time it happens if tapping on the starter brings it to life a bad starter will be confirmed. Should be under warranty.
I'm not touching (or tapping) anything. I'll let the dealer deal with it. Thanks for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
bad connection I expect. if its a new vehicle its the dealers job to fix it as I assume its still under warranty.
Yup, it is. I'll have my next 6-month checkup in March so, unless it happens again between now and then, I'll have them check it out in March. I'll print out this thread for them -- yup, I'm THAT GIRL who comes with self-diagnosis before a checkup.

Old Yesterday, 08:50 AM

1,348 posts, read 859,268 times
Quote:
I'm not touching (or tapping) anything. I'll let the dealer deal with it. Thanks for the input.

Yup, it is. I'll have my next 6-month checkup in March so, unless it happens again between now and then, I'll have them check it out in March. I'll print out this thread for them -- yup, I'm THAT GIRL who comes with self-diagnosis before a checkup.
Donít be THAT girl (or person). A lazy tech will follow your lead and not run a complete diagnostic test.

Tell them the sysmptoms and conitions and frquency. Make sure it gets noted in your repair records. Also, I would not wait until March as the temperature may not cooperate for diagnosis.

Old Yesterday, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
Donít be THAT girl (or person). A lazy tech will follow your lead and not run a complete diagnostic test.

Tell them the sysmptoms and conitions and frquency. Make sure it gets noted in your repair records. Also, I would not wait until March as the temperature may not cooperate for diagnosis.
Good points! Thank you!

Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
try this:
if you can, start your Subaru at home.
let it run for 10 minutes and turn it off.
take the key out and go back in your house.
attempt to start it 30 minutes later.

bottom line...try to replicate the problem.
Quote:
Thanks, Turkeydance. I'll do that tomorrow, for sure. Thanks!!
I tried to replicate it a couple of hours ago. Same weather conditions, etc, but it didn't happen this time. Probably because the car was at home rather than in a parking lot away from home.

Regardless, I'll give all the details to the dealer and let them figure it out.

Thanks again.

Old Yesterday, 02:27 PM

1,330 posts, read 371,237 times
Look up any recalls on your particular car. If there are any (like the relay issue) you can take it in right away. The recall is reason enough for them to do something. You dont need to get stranded for a recall.

Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
Look up any recalls on your particular car. If there are any (like the relay issue) you can take it in right away. The recall is reason enough for them to do something. You dont need to get stranded for a recall.
Thanks, Harry. I just checked. The only recall is for the floor mat retention bracket: the floor mat can move and interfere with the gas pedal or brake.

Old Yesterday, 03:06 PM

3,026 posts, read 1,524,563 times
Loose battery connection in all likelihood. Just needs tightening of connection bolts on battery usually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or