U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 08:58 PM

5,612 posts, read 6,582,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Yes I did. Great acceleration. Couldn't afford the oil. Was burning more than a quart of oil a day.
Yeah, those motors have been run far more than the miles on the odo imply. Most would probably benefit from changing out the piston rings and honing the cylinders. The ring sets are cheap enough, it's the labor that's a killer...someone who can do the work himself would be OK. I've done pistons and rings in smaller motors, but the big ones are more of a project with all the extra crap you have to remove to get the heads off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2019, 09:08 PM

526 posts, read 462,745 times
There is a local guy who buys the all of those high mileage Crown Vics that he can lay hands on. He converts them into customized "Donks". Flashy painted bodies about 4 feet off the ground, riding on huge 24 or larger inch chrome wheels. He can't keep enough on hand to meet the demand. I'd love to know what kind of profit he's turning per car.

Old 01-14-2019, 01:05 AM

2,589 posts, read 951,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Has anyone here looked into buying a retired police cruiser at auction?
(or actually bought one, or knows of someone who did)

It seems like an affordable way to obtain a sturdy vehicle.
Have you seen how rough cops have to use their cars on the road performing maneuvers an average car would never be asked to do? I'd say they are pretty hard on the shocks, suspension, tie rods, ....

Can you afford a paint job and tires?

Old 01-14-2019, 01:27 AM

536 posts, read 59,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Has anyone here looked into buying a retired police cruiser at auction?
(or actually bought one, or knows of someone who did)

It seems like an affordable way to obtain a sturdy vehicle.
I'd think about that very carefully.

Although these are movie clips, police cars go through hell on the roads.
Exhibit A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz81ZO0qfvI

Exhibit B

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GwdlLJw9q0

Exhibit C

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX6tBHXyaRY

Old 01-14-2019, 05:29 AM

2,985 posts, read 2,743,699 times
They never get shut off either due to all the computers, electronics having to be restarted. The hr meter on them has to be off the charts, mileage might be high, but meter/timer is much higher.

Old 01-14-2019, 05:52 AM

17,185 posts, read 18,580,981 times
Buy the detective models. They usually were driven a lot easier than the cruisers. I have friends who are cops ad they drive the hell out of those cars. Just remember at some point some lunatic spit, pissed, crapped and vomited all over themselves in the back of that cruiser.

I would buy the Grand Marquis version. Usually driven by older people and you can find clean not abused ones for not much more than buying a cruiser.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:27 AM

1,283 posts, read 1,267,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Buy the detective models. They usually were driven a lot easier than the cruisers. I have friends who are cops ad they drive the hell out of those cars. Just remember at some point some lunatic spit, pissed, crapped and vomited all over themselves in the back of that cruiser.

I would buy the Grand Marquis version. Usually driven by older people and you can find clean not abused ones for not much more than buying a cruiser.
This ^

My only other suggestion is buying one used by a state police/highway patrol agency. They usually only see highway miles and very little stop-and-go traffic.

California Highway Patrol used to pull their patrol cars out of service <100,000 miles. They were repainted, fully serviced, new tires (if necessary), and smogged. A lot of smaller police departments purchased the retired CHP vehicles for detective and administrative staff use.

Old 01-14-2019, 01:43 PM

1,243 posts, read 537,074 times
Here's a low-mileage (too low??) beauty:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-Ford-Cr...r/303025813938

I'd like to give it a home, but I'm not in buying mode yet.

Old 01-14-2019, 03:00 PM

16,914 posts, read 10,402,388 times
Buying one is a crapshoot, you can either get a great car or one that has been ridden hard and put away wet. Taxi companies grab these up and put another bunch of miles on them, so there must be some value to them.

Most police cars are serviced fairly regularly and when repairs are needed, they are done. I worked at a body shop years ago, and we had the city contract to repair damaged cop cars, and no expense was spared to make them right.

Not sure how the newer cop cars will hold up, the old Crown Vics were like tanks.

Old 01-14-2019, 03:33 PM

7,417 posts, read 15,626,474 times
The spousal unit looked into them a few years because he's always wanted a Crown Vic and that seemed to be a way to get one affordably. but he gave up on the idea because of heavy wear and tear concerns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive