U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:18 PM

1,158 posts, read 356,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
Was this actually diesel? Diesel, for most intents and purposes isn't explosive at all. Many diesel vehicles might not get shut off at all for days or weeks at a time during the coldest part of the winter. I'm pretty sure most truck stops don't have an issue with this.
I worked at a tree farm when I was younger and we used to leave diesel trucks and tractors running all the time as we fueled them. No issues whatsoever.

We also didn't walk away and leave them unattended though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:32 PM

4,600 posts, read 1,523,972 times
Pretty sure there was a long, long, contentious thread on this topic within about 6 months. With a contingent that strenuously argued the danger was completely blown out of proportion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
I worked at a tree farm when I was younger and we used to leave diesel trucks and tractors running all the time as we fueled them. No issues whatsoever.
Diesel is far less prone to vapor ignition than gasoline.

Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM

12,032 posts, read 8,006,266 times
I've seen someone vaping while driving the whole cabin was filled with white mist. How the hell could he see.

Old Yesterday, 08:07 PM

3,244 posts, read 871,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post

We also didn't walk away and leave them unattended though...
Many Semi trucks always stay running 24/7 in colder climates my brother never shut his rig off Diesel gells up when cold. I used to have to spray either starting fluid into the intake of the company trucks they were Ford L7000 Diesel to start after sitting all night in cold weather these trucks did not have block heaters. It took forever to get them going. So we just let them run all the time after that. Never shut off when getting fuel either, i alyfilled up my cars plenty of times with car still running with gas when it was cold out and had my kids in the car, never had a problem and i still do it today and sit in my vehicle while running when the temperature is in the single digits never a problem.

Old Yesterday, 09:12 PM

1,351 posts, read 859,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Just a few months ago an inattentive customer and a faulty nozzle caused a very dangerous incident at the same service station. The customer locked the nozzle open and walked away while it was filling. The nozzle didnít click off when the tank was full. It just kept pumping fuel. Fire trucks and hazmat had to be called out and the station was closed until all the nozzles were tested and replaced. If the customer at that time had left the vehicle running then this would have resulted in a massive fire.
So the station did, in fact, have at least one faulty nozzle that did not properly shut down when the filler tube was filled. Perhaps more than one was found to be faulty in the testing, is that correct?

Old Yesterday, 09:23 PM

3,353 posts, read 1,435,838 times
Anybody here ever try to light gasoline with a cigarette? Or a bullet? Even a tracer round?

Like a lot of things, it works much better on teevee.

Not that you should smoke while filling up. Just saying it's not as big a deal as a lot of people think.

Old Yesterday, 10:25 PM

14,175 posts, read 9,041,087 times
How is running the engine a hazard? I am sure I have done it a lot when it is 5 below but I have never walked away.

Old Yesterday, 10:29 PM

4,600 posts, read 1,523,972 times
...and thread history repeats itself.

Old Today, 06:30 AM

3,859 posts, read 1,319,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Anybody here ever try to light gasoline with a cigarette? Or a bullet? Even a tracer round?

Like a lot of things, it works much better on teevee.

Not that you should smoke while filling up. Just saying it's not as big a deal as a lot of people think.
That's because it's the vapor that is flammable.

Old Today, 06:42 AM

2,203 posts, read 2,195,043 times
Filling my tank with the engine running has never even crossed my mind. You are also not supposed to use your cell phone while filling either, again, not a concern for me. My biggest concern at the pump is when someone uses the pump as a parking spot to go into the store while there are cars waiting to fill up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or