U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 01:37 PM

4,638 posts, read 11,704,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
A fully loaded Malibu, had better luck w/a 1979 Toyota Corolla...and the 2000 Tundra.
Malibu has 70K miles, entire front suspension including electronic steering replaced. Had to replace entire valve cover for the PCV valve, stereo receiver went out, wires too short on the BCM module when they built the car. The last one was recalled, only they missed thousands of GM vehicles. I filed an NTSB complaint, and was ignored after my mechanic performed GM's exact fix for the problem.

Even my 72' Challenger didn't need tie rod ends, at over 100K miles.
Thanks for the info! It goes to support my conclusions about GM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 01:46 PM

2,076 posts, read 490,614 times
Can't really speak for sedans, but as far as trucks go, Dodge really hit the ball out of the park with the build quality of their interiors starting with the 2nd generation Dodge Ram starting in 1994.

Ford was not far behind in 1996 with the F150 (and 1999 for the Superduty).

But for some reason GM trucks kept building crappy interiors through 2007, I'm willing to argue for 2013/14.

It is absolutely inexcusable for radio and HVAC button labels to peel off, even up and over 200,000 miles. It is inexcusable for interior door handles to just fall off. And I've never seen as many leather seats split at the seams as I have in GM vehicles.

Old 01-15-2019, 03:09 PM

1,007 posts, read 499,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
Thanks for the info! It goes to support my conclusions about GM.
Never again.
Little wonder why so many Camry's are still on the road.
My Aunt has an 04', she's only had 1 major repair in 15 years; I've had a dozen in less than 10.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:21 PM

820 posts, read 333,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I will say this, it is more common for cars to go higher mileage today than before, so I think you are getting more value that way. However, have you looked at the price of vehicles today? In 1971, I remember seeing advertisements for cars like the VW Bug, Pinto, and Vega for around $2,000 NEW. Adjusted for inflation that is $12,600 now. So what basic, vehicle can you buy today NEW for $12.6K?
The base model Mitsubishi Mirage ES has a list price of $13,395 plus destination charges. Is it a great car? No. But it is much better than the Pinto or Vega was. And it comes with a 10-year/100k-mile powertrain warranty. Is there a cheaper new car sold in America? I don't know.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:11 PM

97 posts, read 11,640 times
I just got a new one. New to me, anyway. It has some modern dodads that I thought I would never need, but the blind spot monitor stopped me from sideswiping someone in the dark and rain. There was a lot of glare and I just didn't see him. I had a Mazda 3 before, and it went 286 thousand miles with very few repairs before it started smoking. Hopefully, I'll have the same luck with this one.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:29 PM

793 posts, read 321,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
My wife and I both drive Subaruís neither one of them have any of the new tech in them. Mine has 332K on it. My wifeís car has 201k on it. Sure cars have warranties on them and as long as the dealer feels that your call falls under said warranty thatís great. And what happens when itís not? I donít think cars necessarily last any longer then they did say 20 years ago, people are much less likely to maintain them, more likely because itís a generational thing. Everything is disposable, cell phones, TVs, you name it. When you have a repair bill that costs as much as two or three car payments something is wrong.
Is this like an infomercial for Subaru, without the dogs? That incredible that you have two Subaruís with that sort of mileage!

We have a 2015 Forester thathas about 30K miles on it and if we can get about 150K miles without any major repairs, I will be thrilled. Perhaps my expectations are a little low but Iíd be really happy if our cars lasted that long.

Years back, I always bought from US manufacturers and had nothing but problems. A GM vehicle with the transmission failing at around 60K miles and the dealer telling me, itís nomal wear! Thatís when I switched to Hondaís and never had a major repair, actually no repairs just normal service items, brakes and oil changes.

Iím thinking cars are more reliable today than they were 20 years ago, at least that my personal experience.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:53 PM

2,005 posts, read 1,663,219 times
I like this guy’s videos a lot.
I think car companies are also realizing that they can’t keep up with all of this “tech” crap being put into cars now either, which is why I think they’re now just sticking a screen on the dash instead of trying incorporate the screen into the design of the dashboard. Cheap piece of plastic screen screwed into the top of the center stack, easy to replace under warranty, cheaper to design overall dashboard. I personally hate it and think it just looks cheap and an afterthought.

I have a previous generation mercedes E350 sedan. A 2014. It has one screen in the dash, and my all time favorite button in the car is the one let’s me turn it off at night while leaving the system run in the background (stereo, navigation). Press it once, goes dark. Press it again, comes back on. You’d be amazed at how much more enjoyable it is to drive without the screen on, especially at night. In my opinion, that car had the best implemtation of “tech” of any car I’ve seen. The new version of the E series is a joke video game if you ask me, totally gone the route that the YouTuber is speaking about, and will be utterly useless in 10 years, whereas mine will still be complementary of the car. Why? Because my older version is an accessory to the car itself, instead of the tech being the large part of the car overall. In mine, you don’t need it to enjoy the car. In the new one, you do need it.

Cars are just getting stupid these days if you ask me. Over-programmed toys that all look like smoother edge anal probes that a proctologist would use on your worst day.
Not everyone wants to wear an iWatch. There are those of us who still prefer a nice and basic stainless steel Seiko, or leather band timex. I’d rather my doctor tell me my blood pressure is high and I’m overweight than my “tech” gadget!

Old 01-15-2019, 09:36 PM

12,773 posts, read 8,432,307 times
I remember my mom had an 85 “ believe it was” with the digital dash. When the dash finally went out the electronics on the car went down too. These days everything is tied into that info center and like man said in the video, automakers have no plans for software updates. Which makes then to some extent throwaways.
Or you can pay thousands of dollars to get it replaced.

Now maybe 5-10 years from now things will be better but for now for me I’ll pass on all this technology.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:02 PM

12,773 posts, read 8,432,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Is this like an infomercial for Subaru, without the dogs? That incredible that you have two Subaruís with that sort of mileage!

We have a 2015 Forester thathas about 30K miles on it and if we can get about 150K miles without any major repairs, I will be thrilled. Perhaps my expectations are a little low but Iíd be really happy if our cars lasted that long.

Years back, I always bought from US manufacturers and had nothing but problems. A GM vehicle with the transmission failing at around 60K miles and the dealer telling me, itís nomal wear! Thatís when I switched to Hondaís and never had a major repair, actually no repairs just normal service items, brakes and oil changes.

Iím thinking cars are more reliable today than they were 20 years ago, at least that my personal experience.
Iíve heard Subaru mechanics and fan boys claim the the 2.2 liter is a better engine then the 2.5.

Yes, the 2.5 had some head gasket problems our 01 gaskets had to be replaced, no more issues with that now.
One thing I have noticed though is while my wifeís car is five years newer the engine in mine sounds smoother then hers. Around here Subaruís are King Iíve seen Subaruís that weíre rusted buckets because they were from 30 years ago, but damned if they were still running.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:06 PM

1,582 posts, read 324,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
True but repair cost are triple of what they were 30 years ago, even 20.
Being that most cars now have the first tune up after 100k instead of yearly that means one tune up after around 8 years with average mileage versus 8 tune ups...

Last edited by USMC1984; 01-16-2019 at 12:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or