Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 10:01 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,055,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
You do realize you can still control your lights manually right?

I leave the light setting on "on" on my wife's car. Her headlights and fog lights are on every time she drives, day or night. The car automatically shuts them off after she turns the ignition off.

I do, but apparently nobody else realizes this.
That sensor was the first thing to break on my car, heat from the sun on dash probably does them in prematurely. Don't need it, so not replacing it.
Second thing to break(drop once and done)were the cheap keyless fobs, so I got rid of those; and now use a physical key.

And then there's the sealed tranny, which is nonsense:
Modern Maintenance Tips: Dealing with Sealed Transmissions

"In other words, the dream of a lifetime sealed transmission was, in the end, little more than a fantasy. This is just another example of how things that work great on paper fail miserably in the real world."

I can only add that anyone who truly thinks a 2019 is better than a 19...pick any year vehicle, is most likely a car salesman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 10:08 AM

949 posts, read 572,763 times
The 100 million lines of code that keep it running.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:28 AM

5,342 posts, read 14,140,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
The whole center stack in my MIL’s Equinox stopped working. Luckily it was under warranty when it quit, because it would’ve been over a grand to fix.
GM-the last manufacturer I would buy from.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
I do, but apparently nobody else realizes this.
That sensor was the first thing to break on my car, heat from the sun on dash probably does them in prematurely. Don't need it, so not replacing it.
Second thing to break(drop once and done)were the cheap keyless fobs, so I got rid of those; and now use a physical key.

And then there's the sealed tranny, which is nonsense:
Modern Maintenance Tips: Dealing with Sealed Transmissions

"In other words, the dream of a lifetime sealed transmission was, in the end, little more than a fantasy. This is just another example of how things that work great on paper fail miserably in the real world."

I can only add that anyone who truly thinks a 2019 is better than a 19...pick any year vehicle, is most likely a car salesman.
What make of vehicle if you don't mind my asking?

I am not a car salesman, but I truly think almost all 2019s are better than almost every 19.. ever produced. I grew up in the 70's and 80's and I have to say I think the vehicles from those decades are the sorriest P.O.S. ever produced.

Ya, you could maybe fix them yourself and they were much simpler and blah blah blah. You had better be able to fix them yourself as they were going to need fixing/parts on a regular basis.

I have two 2011's that were purchased brand new. Every electronic item on them still works as new. One has been parked outside since day one. I live in MN where we have extreme weather. I had to replace one transfer case and that is it after 8 years and a combined 212,000 miles between the two. Neither are GMs.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:41 AM

35,067 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Overly complicated computer interfaces.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:49 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,139,412 times
Quote:
I usually run a vehicle for about 10 years where it will have at least 150k on the odometer. Never had to replace a water pump yet.

Ive never had one fail on me either, but I know quite a few people that have to have them replaced on their Ford 3.5L FWD and it was $2000 and others where it cost them $1000 on their Toyota 3.5L V6.

Wont even start on these garbage CVT transmissions that are not really fixable, so they run $4-5K plus to replace.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Ive never had one fail on me either, but I know quite a few people that have to have them replaced on their Ford 3.5L FWD and it was $2000 and others where it cost them $1000 on their Toyota 3.5L V6.

Wont even start on these garbage CVT transmissions that are not really fixable, so they run $4-5K plus to replace.
I wouldn't buy a vehicle with a CVT either.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:08 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Have you ever had to replace one?
Yes, on the Prius the center console costs $2000 to replace. I found one on Ebay for $500. I could go without it since steering wheel controls can perform some of it. I much rather replace knobs and buttons than Computer and LCD screen.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:05 PM

4,952 posts, read 3,055,358 times
Quote:
What make of vehicle if you don't mind my asking?

I am not a car salesman, but I truly think almost all 2019s are better than almost every 19.. ever produced. I grew up in the 70's and 80's and I have to say I think the vehicles from those decades are the sorriest P.O.S. ever produced.

Ya, you could maybe fix them yourself and they were much simpler and blah blah blah. You had better be able to fix them yourself as they were going to need fixing/parts on a regular basis.

I have two 2011's that were purchased brand new. Every electronic item on them still works as new. One has been parked outside since day one. I live in MN where we have extreme weather. I had to replace one transfer case and that is it after 8 years and a combined 212,000 miles between the two. Neither are GMs.

A fully loaded Malibu, had better luck w/a 1979 Toyota Corolla...and the 2000 Tundra.
Malibu has 70K miles, entire front suspension including electronic steering replaced. Had to replace entire valve cover for the PCV valve, stereo receiver went out, wires too short on the BCM module when they built the car. The last one was recalled, only they missed thousands of GM vehicles. I filed an NTSB complaint, and was ignored after my mechanic performed GM's exact fix for the problem.

Even my 72' Challenger didn't need tie rod ends, at over 100K miles.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:18 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
I don't know about that...I'll say that if cars were always as reliable as they are now, AAA wouldn't get off the ground. The only way they were "better" is that they were easier for a shade tree mechanic to wrench on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive