Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 05:48 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
1993-1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee had this as part of the VIC unit below the climate controls. There was no CANBUS, there was no OBD2!!!
Yep, Pontiac had that going back to 1987 in the 6000STE and the Trans Am GTA. I’m sure other GM cars like the Trofeo and Riviera had it as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 06:16 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Their price

Exactly...just about ready to order a new truck and wow....

Old 01-27-2019, 07:42 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
Anyone remember when GM came out with On Star and they could unlock your doors for you?
I seem to recall a story where someone’s car was stolen and the police called On Star and they shut the car down.

Now I’m not one whose big conspiracy theories but if a hacker got a hold of a cars info system, would they be able to use that system against the owner somehow? Or once self driving cars were more abundant, what then?

Old 01-30-2019, 09:12 PM

709 posts, read 656,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Anyone remember when GM came out with On Star and they could unlock your doors for you?
I seem to recall a story where someone’s car was stolen and the police called On Star and they shut the car down.

Now I’m not one whose big conspiracy theories but if a hacker got a hold of a cars info system, would they be able to use that system against the owner somehow? Or once self driving cars were more abundant, what then?

It's not a conspiracy; it's very easy to hack into car computer systems.

Why it's not a very popular thing to do, I don't know. But I wouldn't be surprised if/when it becomes commonplace.

Old 01-30-2019, 10:36 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,823,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
This isn't true. Modern cars aren't any more difficult to work on than old cars, and they're far more reliable than they've ever been in history.
Pfft there are cars out there where you gotta remove a wheel and fender liner, maybe even unbolt and jack up the engine to change a spark plug. Two decades ago or so, you mighta needed an extention and a swivel or two and call it a mother effer.

Old 01-30-2019, 11:27 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,823,013 times
Biggest probls with modern cars is practically every thing. For two dollars I can get two small parabolic blindspot detection devices. I could play bluetooth, Pandora, XM Radio, iHeart Radio on the SINGLE DIN radio I installed. The only thing it didn't do was play CD and act as a CB/Scanner. No need for anything more than that. Back up camera; make the damn thing easy to look out the back of and screw the camera. Only two trucks at my job have back up cameras, the rest are just as easy to back up without... and these are 26' straight trucks I drive. I can understand independant climate control in a house, but not the small.space of a vehicle, stupid. If the center consoles of most cars weren't like steamer trunks and dressers; a normal, doesn't break almost never hand brake wouldn't be in the way of ones sock drawer. Crap like the Tundras "4WD" (Read traction control and abs), powered doors(just fling the damn minivans door like the rest of us did), at this point it's a miracle if one can turn off the DRLs. Just all stupid. Lack of packages, options are based on trim levels versus actually just getting what you want. Go ahead with the self driving cars; it's been a long time since most people have actually driven a car anyway. They just put fuel in it, steer it and hold the accellerator down like a video game without worry of slamming in to something because the car is self aware and will brake for you and it'll park for you.

I hate new cars and the lazy slackasses that enjoy that crap.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:10 AM

259 posts, read 268,357 times
Yea, lets get rid of power steering, brakes, locks, and windows too -- they're turning us into wimps =)

Old 01-31-2019, 12:57 PM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Pfft there are cars out there where you gotta remove a wheel and fender liner, maybe even unbolt and jack up the engine to change a spark plug. Two decades ago or so, you mighta needed an extention and a swivel or two and call it a mother effer.
Two decades ago, there were cars that you had to remove wheels and fender liners to change plugs (Subarus) or had to basically unbolt the steering column (V6 90s S10s)

Old 01-31-2019, 12:59 PM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rso092 View Post
It's not a conspiracy; it's very easy to hack into car computer systems.

Why it's not a very popular thing to do, I don't know. But I wouldn't be surprised if/when it becomes commonplace.
It's not popular because you have to be physically connected to the OBD2 port to do so.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:59 PM

45,382 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Two decades ago, there were cars that you had to remove wheels and fender liners to change plugs (Subarus) or had to basically unbolt the steering column (V6 90s S10s)
I believe that the 1980ish Monza required pulling the engine to replace a spark plug (V8).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive