U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 10:54 AM

5,012 posts, read 5,095,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
I ended up stopping at a nature preserve and changing it. No mess.
OP HAS CHANGED THE OIL.

Might be time to move onto other subjects.

Unless someone asks what happened to the old oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 11:01 AM

861 posts, read 663,171 times
Its silly that people would get so ancy of changing oil. I have never once in my life see a car break down because they didn't change the oil. The rule of changing oil is as about as legit as spending 3 months salary on engagement ring. Regular oil should be changed every 12k miles and synthetic 20k miles. If you go over a bit, its no big deal. I knew a girl who had 240k miles on her car (She bought used at around 100k) and never changed the oil once. The car had no issues.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:07 AM

339 posts, read 75,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
I change mine every 8-12k miles, I drive alot. It's coming up for the time to change it on my road trip. What places would be good to do it at? Assuming I don't make a mess.
I had the first recommended service done to a vehicle by a dealership while traveling. Easy. Other than myself, not sure I trust anyone else.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:17 PM

11,469 posts, read 11,818,258 times
In an emergency, one of the oil change shacks will do. Be sure to inspect the work. Check the filter to make sure they installed the right one (Oil Can Henry put the wrong filter on a vehicle the one time I used them) and check the dipstick.

Next time plan ahead, so you don't have to have service done on the road. If I'm going to put 5,000 or 10,000 miles on a vehicle away from my home base, I make sure it's serviced before I leave. Oil, brakes, tires, air in the spare, new air filter, new greases in the gearboxes, transmission fluid, etc. It's not that I anticipate problems. You could turn the key and drive any of my vehicles across the country and back. It's just a cheap insurance policy that makes you go through the vehicle and do a thorough pre-trip inspection.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:40 PM

2,009 posts, read 470,521 times
I'd be suspicious enough of a shop getting their hands on my car so far from my home address - anything short of an actual emergency - that I'd run Mobil 1's 20k mile oil just to avoid it.

If you have a newer car, still under warranty, and want to be a good citizen that sells your car with CarFAX documenting all of your maintenance, Google a large dealership nearby.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:57 PM

1,961 posts, read 814,908 times
I believe, many years ago, it was recommended to change oil every 1000 miles. Imagine what a road trip was like back then. (source, late husband who was born in 1940).

Old 01-15-2019, 01:02 PM

13,626 posts, read 43,456,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Myself, I wouldn't worry about goimg a thousand miles or so over change interval, if there is only a negligible number (2 or 3) of cold starts in the overage.

Here is your answer - long trips, road trips, are very easy on oil. I definitely would not go with a local Jiffy Lube in some remote place, if/when they screw it up, it complicates getting your "fix" paid for.

If you are really worried about it, consider, if your filter is easy to access, just changing the filter only, you can do this with the engine stone cold just fine, get a quart of the same oil, put some in the new filter, screw it on, and quit worrying.

Old 01-15-2019, 01:05 PM

12,223 posts, read 6,354,048 times
You can also buy a cheap oil extractor for $10.00 at Walmart, suck the oil out, and put new. Running two oil changes through an oil filter won't hurt anything. Even with Ace Hardware markup, the Pennzoil one is only $12.99. I'd rather do that then let some unknown quick oil change place touch my car.

One of my must-haves on my next car is the oil filter on the top so I can trivially DIY oil changes.

Old 01-15-2019, 01:29 PM

3,270 posts, read 879,941 times
Take it to a dealer quick oil change not expensive and not everyone wants or has the time to do it themselves, and you don’t have to worry about getting rid of old oil or laying on your back or getting dirty. The days of expensive oil changes at the dealer are no more most hav quick oil change bays.

Old 01-15-2019, 01:51 PM

5,765 posts, read 6,612,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I believe, many years ago, it was recommended to change oil every 1000 miles. Imagine what a road trip was like back then. (source, late husband who was born in 1940).
That was back when gas stations offered a lot more services. You could probably get your oil changed while you filled up your tank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or