Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 03:05 AM

994 posts, read 968,129 times

Advertisements

I change mine every 8-12k miles, I drive alot. It's coming up for the time to change it on my road trip. What places would be good to do it at? Assuming I don't make a mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 03:46 AM

45,380 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Have it changed before you go.

Old 01-15-2019, 03:52 AM

Ive been on the road since Friday. I changed it about 11k ago and just want to change it soon. I dont know if the residence I'll be at allows car work or Id wait and do it there.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:17 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
How many more miles until you get back home?

Are you running cheap conventional or full synthetic?

What's your car's computer say about the remaining oil life?

Old 01-15-2019, 05:29 AM

5,672 posts, read 5,882,381 times
Dealer near by? Worse case, Jiffy Lube near by? (God I cant believe I even mentioned that!)

Old 01-15-2019, 06:01 AM

672 posts, read 443,051 times
If you want t do it yourself go to wally world and buy a gallon of oil and an aluminum turkey roast pan and change it in the parking lot. Pour the old oil in the empty jug for recycle and throw the pan away.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:12 AM

6,361 posts, read 4,187,402 times
Personally, I would not drive over 10K miles without have the oil and filter changed and always use synthetic oil❗️

It’s about the most important thing you can do to protect the health of your engine.

Get it changed at one of the major oil change franchises if on a road trip.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:18 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
Myself, I wouldn't worry about goimg a thousand miles or so over change interval, if there is only a negligible number (2 or 3) of cold starts in the overage.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homelessinseattle View Post
If you want t do it yourself go to wally world and buy a gallon of oil and an aluminum turkey roast pan and change it in the parking lot. Pour the old oil in the empty jug for recycle and throw the pan away.
That was my plan I was thinking of going to a park and changing it there. Have an enclosed drain pan. I use mobile one 5/30 extended performance I don't pay attention to the oil life display because that wants you to change it about every 3,000 which is a waste of money.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:10 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
How many more miles until you get back home?

Are you running cheap conventional or full synthetic?

What's your car's computer say about the remaining oil life?
The car's computer oil life monitoring system is completely irrelevant. It is actually just a predetermined software program that simply takes the amount of time, miles and how it was ran since the last time it was reset and turns the light on accordingly when the algorithm reaches a certain calculation. It had no way of knowing what type of oil you used, whether it is synthetic or conventional, if oil technology has improved since the program was written nor does it have any way of actually measuring the oil's viscosity or contaminate level. Basically, the oil life light is useless other than being an idiot light for those that don't maintain their cars properly and it reminds them they should be changing their oil regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Personally, I would not drive over 10K miles without have the oil and filter changed and always use synthetic oil❗️

It’s about the most important thing you can do to protect the health of your engine.

Get it changed at one of the major oil change franchises if on a road trip.
I also use Mobil 1 advanced synthetic and have been using it for years. I have a truck I bought new and at the first oil change I used Mobil 1 advanced synthetic and like the OP, I start looking for a good time to change my oil after 12,000 miles. I typically change it between 12,000 and 13,000 but at times have gone to 14,000 to 15,000. The truck now has over 500,000 miles on it and still runs so quiet you can barely tell the motor is running. I pulled the valve covers and oil pan off to replace the gaskets at around 375,000 miles and the inside was amazingly clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
That was my plan I was thinking of going to a park and changing it there. Have an enclosed drain pan. I use mobile one 5/30 extended performance I don't pay attention to the oil life display because that wants you to change it about every 3,000 which is a waste of money.
I wouldn't worry about it. I would just wait and change it when I got back home. A thousand or two miles over your normal interval isn't going to hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive