U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-15-2019, 08:52 PM
 
742 posts, read 396,011 times
Reputation: 1124

Advertisements

The diagnostic fees charged by shops are ripoffs, pure and simple. It takes 5 minutes to run a scanner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-15-2019, 10:40 PM
 
Location: trapped in the body of a dying animal
3,409 posts, read 1,443,886 times
Reputation: 3637
Cool. You'll have no problem fixing it yourself then
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:40 AM
 
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
3,260 posts, read 878,124 times
Reputation: 2690
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappjohn View Post
The diagnostic fees charged by shops are ripoffs, pure and simple. It takes 5 minutes to run a scanner.
Like others said then if you feel that way than fix it yourself that way you won’t be ripped off as you say because in your opinion everyone should do stuff for free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:39 AM
 
Location: Cebu, Philippines
2,966 posts, read 1,074,171 times
Reputation: 5650
dupe

Last edited by cebuan; Yesterday at 06:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:49 AM
 
Location: Cebu, Philippines
2,966 posts, read 1,074,171 times
Reputation: 5650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post

They are pushy and need to make money at your expense.!
So, what contrasting principle did you think was the foundation of the free market economy?

Multiple choice: For what reason do wealthy investors risk their capital to open oil change shops?
( ) So you can sleep knowing you have clean fluids
( ) So the wealthy investors can have acccess to your money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:57 AM
 
Location: Meredith NH
1,497 posts, read 2,190,759 times
Reputation: 2523
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
This thread is just one more example of why I'm a *former* mechanic.
Already suspected that the way you were jumping on me but you would have liked me for a customer.
I've never complained about hourly rates or big mark up on parts because I know they have a lot of overhead.
Also,very appreciative of good work.A good tech in any business is someone to support and tell your friends about.
I do stand by my OP however because code readers actually make their work easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:00 AM
 
37,569 posts, read 39,138,803 times
Reputation: 15131
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Code readers have only recently become cheap, so now it seems outrageous given how easy it is to pull codes, but a decade or so ago nobody had them unless you wanted t pay $300-500 for one.

Even if it was $1K I would find a $125 charge for this to be excessive. The reason something like this would cost so much is proprietary tech, e.g. the port might be patented. As I recall a common ports will be mandated, I believe USB. You'll be able to do this with phone soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:44 AM
 
4,122 posts, read 3,815,054 times
Reputation: 3174
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappjohn View Post
The diagnostic fees charged by shops are ripoffs, pure and simple. It takes 5 minutes to run a scanner.

Some of those dealer scan tools can cost $1000-5000+, and do way more than autozones own just like this example.


https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...HEMAPO7HCW2YQD




I think $120 is just the hourly labor rate they are charging people. I think $50 to scan seems more fair to me, but if it actually has to be narrowed down, then the $120 makes sense.


A P0171 & P0174 code is a common one many people get about running lean and could be:

  • A faulty fuel pressure regulator.
  • A weak fuel pump.
  • A clogged fuel filter.
  • A faulty powertrain control module.
  • A vacuum leak.
  • Faulty injector(s)
  • Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
  • A faulty mass air flow sensor.
My cause were worn intake manifold gasket and thats not even listed above, others is a pinpole leak in a rubber hose, that sometimes requires a smoke machine to find that vacuum leak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:09 AM
 
Location: trapped in the body of a dying animal
3,409 posts, read 1,443,886 times
Reputation: 3637
If diagnosis should be free, then you folks won't mind doing it yourself. Right?

Lemme know how that works out for you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM
 
37,569 posts, read 39,138,803 times
Reputation: 15131
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
If diagnosis should be free, then you folks won't mind doing it yourself. Right?

Lemme know how that works out for you

Having been in business myself I understand the overhead of operating a business, I have no problem with someone charging me reasonable amount of money if they need to use a specialized tool. $125 is not resonable given the cost of these units and the time involved.


That said when a USB connector is available shortly I'll just be able to download the inevitable open source software that will be available and just use my laptop...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top