Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 01:41 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,420,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
Engine light was on in my 2013 Avalanche.I have a OBD meter so I knew exactly what the problem was.
Brought it to the dealership for a fix and when I got the bill I was charged $120 "diagnostic fee"
Previously I've never been charged for that....takes two minutes to plug in the meter and read the code.
Also...ever sat in the waiting room for an oil change and watch the parade of techs come out because they've found some mysterious problem?
Techs get %5-%7 for upsells.Filters,fluid changes ,belts.....anything they can get away with.
They didn't cover the full estimate before you agreed to have the work done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 02:29 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,659,590 times
yeah lets complain about every little fee the shops charge, forgetting that the mechanic gets a part of that diagnostic fee.

remember that just because a code reader spits out, using my merc as an example, a fuel pressure sensor issue, does not meant the sensor is the problem. it only means that is the system being affected. in my case is was a faulty sensor, but there are a number of tests the mechanic is supposed to run to find that out. the code reader only narrow down the process. in the old days the mechanics and the shops didnt charge for diagnostic time, and often times the the diagnosis was far more difficult than the repair itself.

for instance one of my college professors spent about 100 hours trying to find an intermittent miss in a car, and he finally got a wiring diagram out and traced the wiring and eventually figured out that the solenoid that ford used was the problem on that particular car.

as for dealerships having the car for long periods of time, remember they have more than just your car there to work on. you might make an appointment, but chances are that there are still 50 to 100 cars ahead of you. its the nature of the dealership.

Old 01-17-2019, 04:33 AM

24,512 posts, read 18,020,565 times
I watched a Subaru dealer charge a woman $150 for replacing a missing fuel cap. $120 for the diagnostic. $30 for a fuel cap. I thought that was a bit excessive for 5 minutes of labor.

Old 01-17-2019, 05:48 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,744,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I watched a Subaru dealer charge a woman $150 for replacing a missing fuel cap. $120 for the diagnostic. $30 for a fuel cap. I thought that was a bit excessive for 5 minutes of labor.
So why didn't you do it yourself?

Old 01-17-2019, 07:19 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,420,698 times
If you are diagnosing yourself you should fix yourself. Why go halfway? The overhead to actually diagnose your car isn't free, they still have to pass up other work, buy the scanner, have a tech scan, etc...Also, you are free to ask about diagnostic fees before they do any work and you can take your business elsewhere if you feel they are charging too much.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:36 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,393,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
So why didn't you do it yourself?
Lady probably brought the car straight to the dealer when the CEL came on - didn't have to stop for gas on the way. By the time they found out what it was, she had already signed the papers for the diagnostic fee.

It's a "sunk cost" psychology that gets people to commit to repairs and not shop for estimates. Not only "we don't work for free!".

Old 01-17-2019, 12:59 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,744,757 times
Yeah, if you take your vehicle to a place that charges for diagnosis and sign on the dotted line... you do tend to get charged for diagnosis.

No reason she couldn't check her own codes and make her own repairs. But she chose otherwise.

Old 01-17-2019, 03:13 PM

30,703 posts, read 79,429,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
y

as for dealerships having the car for long periods of time, remember they have more than just your car there to work on. you might make an appointment, but chances are that there are still 50 to 100 cars ahead of you. its the nature of the dealership.
THat is mismanagement by the dealership. If there are 30 cars ahead of me, they shouldn't schedule my car to be there until it is 3rd or 5th in line or better yet, 1st in line. Good private mechanics can figure this out. So can pretty much every other business in the world. How would it go over if you arrived for your doctor appointment and they said there are 50 people ahead of you, you need to sit here for the next three days and wait turn we get around to your turn.

Old 01-17-2019, 03:19 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,393,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Yeah, if you take your vehicle to a place that charges for diagnosis and sign on the dotted line... you do tend to get charged for diagnosis.

No reason she couldn't check her own codes and make her own repairs. But she chose otherwise.
You can't know everything. What you don't know, common sense tells you not to attempt to fix it if you don't understand it. She had no way to gauge the severity of the issue and no idea where to begin troubleshooting.

I'd even go so far as to speculate she may have trouble Googling using proper terminology to get the right answers.

Think of this, and time-value of money. What does she do for a living? How much money is she losing by spending a few hours searching, buying a scanner, referencing codes, then applying the troubleshooting steps one at a time?

That... vs. $150. If you make $40/hour, that's half a day in a climate controlled office, or half a day outside messing with your car not getting paid.

Old 01-17-2019, 03:55 PM

30,703 posts, read 79,429,689 times
I am starting a new business. I will read your codes and look the result up on google for you and tell you the most likely reason for the code. My rate is $1,440 an hour. Sign up fast, I have decided I only need to work ten hours a month, so I will only accept select customers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive