U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:00 PM

25,344 posts, read 60,702,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post

And BTW, the OP mentioned that he has a code reader. So why is he at the dealership at all seeings how he can do this job himself? I mean, he thinks it should be free... so why isn't *he* doing this 2-minute job that's worth $0?
If I have a code, I read it and see what it is. then I do some diagnostics and decide whether i want to fix it or take it to a shop. Usually that depends on the weather and how soon I need the vehicle back on the road.

When I take it in to a shop I tell them what I want them to fix and I tell them I am not paying for any diagnostics. I will take the risk. I have more faith in my own experience than their desire to throw the most expensive parts at a problem and see if that fixes the problem (or at least the parts with the most mark up).

When you go to a mechanic and especially to a dealership they have people with little knowledge greet you and write down the problem. then they have the cheapest "mechanic" they can find guess what part needs replacing and try it. If it does not fix the problem, they replace the next guess and the nest. then they charge you for all the work, parts plus 100% or so mark up and also for the time they spent guessing.

The experienced mechanics are mostly in management and they rarely touch a car.

Independent places can be different,but many of them have their own problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:04 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,160,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You must not have had many diagnostics done. A fee for that has been standard, at dealerships and most independents, for a couple decades. Many places will waive it if they do the repairs.
Dealerships and repair shops will normally apply the cost of the diagnostics to the repair if you have it done there. Otherwise you could take the vehicle in, have them diagnose it, and then repair it yourself at home. Some people also leave after hearing the cost of the repair. The shop would have had their mechanics take their time to diagnose your vehicle, and they would have made nothing.

Old Yesterday, 07:02 PM

2,971 posts, read 1,078,235 times
Here's an idea. If a shop charges $125 to do a diagnosis that can be done for $5, open up a shop down the street doing them for $10. Undercut all the competitive business, and still have a 100% markup. How come nobody else has thought of that?

Old Yesterday, 07:20 PM

2,010 posts, read 470,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Here's an idea. If a shop charges $125 to do a diagnosis that can be done for $5, open up a shop down the street doing them for $10. Undercut all the competitive business, and still have a 100% markup. How come nobody else has thought of that?
Because AutoZone does it for free?

Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM

2,487 posts, read 2,884,900 times
Wait till you need them to check your TPMS. Mazda wanted something like $300 just to check why my light is blinking. I asked if they could just change them out and hit reset. They refused, cuz y'know, they need to test it first. Needless to say, my TPMS light is stuck on now. From everything I read, it's due to age, nothing else. Now I just keep an eye on my tire pressure the old fashioned way.

Old Yesterday, 07:28 PM

4,122 posts, read 3,816,120 times
Just spend $10-20 and buy a Bluetooth scanner that works with your phone from Amazon.

I bought this https://bafxpro.com/products/obdreader for $12 on Prime day and it can be purchased for about $20 any given day and works just fine with Torque Pro, Car Scanner, and a couple other apps. No waiting in line at autozone or other parts store for the same result you can get anywhere. If you want more feature like Mode 6 data, expect to spend $50-100 and if you want ABS, Airbag and the ability to rest oil lights or access the cars BUS system, spend $2-300.

The only rip off I hate with dealers is the $75 to program a key fob or and they do it in all of 3-5 minutes, in which it really didnt require anyones long time and labor to do so.

Old Yesterday, 08:18 PM

3,271 posts, read 879,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Just spend $10-20 and buy a Bluetooth scanner that works with your phone from Amazon.

I bought this https://bafxpro.com/products/obdreader for $12 on Prime day and it can be purchased for about $20 any given day and works just fine with Torque Pro, Car Scanner, and a couple other apps. No waiting in line at autozone or other parts store for the same result you can get anywhere. If you want more feature like Mode 6 data, expect to spend $50-100 and if you want ABS, Airbag and the ability to rest oil lights or access the cars BUS system, spend $2-300.

The only rip off I hate with dealers is the $75 to program a key fob or and they do it in all of 3-5 minutes, in which it really didnt require anyones long time and labor to do so.
Then why donít you complain when youíre dr only spends 5 min wit you and charges you a outrageous off call and then you have to pay another off call to get your test results.

Old Yesterday, 09:07 PM

15,744 posts, read 15,702,148 times
Go to a major parts-store if you want a free scan.

Most repair-shops charge for diagnostics and scans, many times waiving the charge if they do the repair.

Old Today, 12:27 AM

3,425 posts, read 1,447,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
You can't know everything. What you don't know, common sense tells you not to attempt to fix it if you don't understand it. She had no way to gauge the severity of the issue and no idea where to begin troubleshooting.

I'd even go so far as to speculate she may have trouble Googling using proper terminology to get the right answers.

Think of this, and time-value of money. What does she do for a living? How much money is she losing by spending a few hours searching, buying a scanner, referencing codes, then applying the troubleshooting steps one at a time?

That... vs. $150. If you make $40/hour, that's half a day in a climate controlled office, or half a day outside messing with your car not getting paid.
Not sure where you think we disagree.

I'm not saying she has to fix her vehicle herself. I'm just saying that if she can't or won't... then it's gonna cost some money.

Old Today, 05:53 AM

3,271 posts, read 879,941 times
It is what it is we can’t do anything to change how people run their business so pay for the service or don’t and do it yourself and fix it yourself if you think you can, if not pony up and pay the man everything isn’t free in this world you don’t work for free do you. Do you complain when you have to pay your doctor for a 5 min office call or it just about dealerships. There both in business to make money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or