U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 08:20 PM

7,091 posts, read 6,284,717 times

Advertisements

My cars dont even have a place to plug in a code reader.02 plus fuel plus spark =go.High altitude jets in the carb.
Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:24 PM

2,010 posts, read 470,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Dad being in the business was always asked to recommend shops... the ones he recommended were always small family owned with generations working there.

Not one of these left...

They specialized... Mayfield Auto Electric Fuel and A/C, Kelly's Front End Shop, Jim's Smog, Bob's Muffler Shop, Hermann the German Transmission Shop, Kellum or Len's two body and fender shops... he also had a Larry the radio guy, Vic's Speedometer shop, and Steve's upholstery... these were all shops owned by the person with the name on the sign.

The only chain he used was a local tire shop but that stopped when the manager retired... within weeks everything had changed... 3 years later the shop was closed and it had been one of their top regionally.

The manager of the tire shop opened up his own shop about 15 miles away... I still go there and so does my extended family... it is like having a friend in the business... he said the new bean counters wanted more production and up selling... he said he already had top numbers and many repeat customers... they wanted to see 25% more...
Reminds me of a guy locally that my grandpa trusted with his truck The shop owner had worked for a Mazda dealer for 17 years before going solo.

Brought in his 1987 Mazda B2000 (still less than 100k miles) for a peculiar RPM surging when the a/c compressor was engaged. The carburetor was very finicky and after an adjustment, the issue was resolved.
Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or