U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 05:50 PM

13,957 posts, read 30,060,491 times

Advertisements

I still think the sub forums are stupid. My iPad goes to ‘merged threads’ automatically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 06:28 PM

1,539 posts, read 2,919,464 times
I HATE the sub forums. I never look there.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:12 PM

7,425 posts, read 2,793,471 times
Some of those brand sub forums go weeks between posts.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:29 PM

2,002 posts, read 470,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSaturn View Post
Everyone, please remember that we have brand-specific sub-fora, where you should place any thread whose topic is related to one specific brand of vehicle. We frequently move threads from the general Automotive forum to the sub-fora. If you're posting about Fords, post in the Ford sub-forum. Want to write about Toyotas? Do so in the Toyota sub-forum. Etc.

Thanks!
Sounds like moderators know just enough about cars to make things difficult for forum users.

Plenty of reasons someone may want to post something brand-specific in a general forum:

1. Gearheads may favor one brand over another, but their knowledge is not limited to a single brand. Reaching out to a larger audience before the thread is pigeonholed into obscurity helps the OP get more answers, faster.

2. Threads about a customer's vehicle (of any one brand) may ask seek input about universal parts (tires, wheels, headlights, wipers, aftermarket accessories) or subjects (gas mileage, general scheduled maintenance, style-specific truck/SUV/convertible questions) not specific to a single manufacturer.

3. Different brands under the same umbrella have users that drive vehicles which may contain identical parts. If I drive a Chevy Silverado and am experiencing a shake in my steering column at highway speeds, I want the GMC Sierra drivers to know about it, too.

GM = Chevrolet, GMC, Cadillac
Ford Motor Company = Ford, Lincoln
Volkswagen Group = Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, VW

Old 01-15-2019, 07:34 PM

823 posts, read 208,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
There isn't enough traffic in here to justify a forum for each brand. All it does is fragment the discussion so that only three or four people ever look at many of those sub forums.

We don't need mora fora
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I thought the brand fora were where the threads go to die.
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
I HATE the sub forums. I never look there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Some of those brand sub forums go weeks between posts.
Agreed a thousand times on all these points. The sub forums are carp and anything posted there is banished to the cornfield of ignore-ville. Posting there is like walking into an empty room and shouting to yourself.

I don't even bother anymore.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:41 PM

39,607 posts, read 14,687,142 times
We have some real comedians here.

Seriously, folks, the moderators have nothing to do with creating sub-fora. That's the Administrator's bailiwick. I move several Automotive threads each day which are reported by members. There is plenty of traffic in the sub-fora to justify their existence. If you're not reading them, then you may be missing out on some really good threads.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:57 PM

2,002 posts, read 470,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSaturn View Post
We have some real comedians here.

Seriously, folks, the moderators have nothing to do with creating sub-fora. That's the Administrator's bailiwick. I move several Automotive threads each day which are reported by members. There is plenty of traffic in the sub-fora to justify their existence. If you're not reading them, then you may be missing out on some really good threads.

While forum users on a mission can search titles and posts, the simple browsers like to be shown new content and sometimes won't know it until they see it.

While alphabetizing a library card catalog may be quality time spent for a person with OCD, many users you see post before me seem to enjoy a subject-driven layout with less rabbit holes.

While neither of us may be administrators, you are one step closer to them, and have a better chance at your input being considered than any of us. Pass it up and you may be rewarded!

Old 01-15-2019, 08:38 PM

39,607 posts, read 14,687,142 times
Point taken.

Y'know, you can start a thread in About The Forum to discuss this further. Perhaps other members, mods and senior mods will chime in with their thoughts.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:57 PM

34,559 posts, read 53,071,853 times
Yup! I agree with ddm2k

Looks like most if not all were created 2007-8 and some didn't go beyond 2-3 pages.
I don't care for those subforums, but hard pressed would enjoy (maybe) only few of them, but in a different order.
Perhaps: American, European, Asian and luxury/exotic cars, trucks and SUV's.
Would add: parts and repairs, DIY/troubleshooting/general maintenance.

Or other suggestions...
World, Europe, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Exercise and Fitness, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 01-15-2019 at 11:11 PM..

Old 01-16-2019, 05:06 AM

2,000 posts, read 2,199,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Sounds like moderators know just enough about cars to make things difficult for forum users.

Plenty of reasons someone may want to post something brand-specific in a general forum:

1. Gearheads may favor one brand over another, but their knowledge is not limited to a single brand. Reaching out to a larger audience before the thread is pigeonholed into obscurity helps the OP get more answers, faster.

2. Threads about a customer's vehicle (of any one brand) may ask seek input about universal parts (tires, wheels, headlights, wipers, aftermarket accessories) or subjects (gas mileage, general scheduled maintenance, style-specific truck/SUV/convertible questions) not specific to a single manufacturer.

3. Different brands under the same umbrella have users that drive vehicles which may contain identical parts. If I drive a Chevy Silverado and am experiencing a shake in my steering column at highway speeds, I want the GMC Sierra drivers to know about it, too.

GM = Chevrolet, GMC, Cadillac
Ford Motor Company = Ford, Lincoln
Volkswagen Group = Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, VW
Building on #3 above, newer multi-speed transmissions are strewn across the brands. Example, Ford and Chevy both use the same new transmission in their Pickup trucks.

ZF transmissions are found in many brands from many different countries, so a discussion of a ZF transmission would be able to span many of the sub-fora and would be a disservice to cram into a specific one.

To be quite honest, when I'm searching something related to a specific brand I go to forums dedicated to that brand. Most often, posters in those CD specific sub-fora often suggesting a visit to a brand dedicated website for a specific range of expertise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or