U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 12:24 PM

3,197 posts, read 1,448,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Agree with the Kia Soul- not too much money for vehicle that's going to be used lightly and the compact and sub-compact crossovers are popular with a lot of older drivers because the seat height is easier to get in and out of than a sedan. The Subaru Crosstrek is a similar niche in many ways but is significantly more expensive than the Soul
My wife's Aunt who is in her 80's bought one. It was cheap and does the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 12:34 PM

4,765 posts, read 7,295,640 times
^^^
Kia Soul is a good little car and the slightly raised profile would be great. Unfortunately to get any of the desired safety tech requires option packages resulting in a $27,500 list price!

Old 01-16-2019, 12:42 PM

682 posts, read 1,589,361 times
So I am in the exact same situation, except my mom is hanging on for dear life to her 1996 Camry, which is in need of replacing. We found that most sedans (Corolla, Camry, etc.) were too low and difficut to get in and out of. She test drove a Rav4 and liked it and then test drove a Forester and liked it better. She wants a base model with no (or as few as possible) options/features. Used cars are often fully featured, so I'm trying to get her to test drive a 2019 Forester base model, since her local dealer has plenty. Also, dealers can turn off various features if desired.

Old 01-16-2019, 12:47 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,193,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriatica View Post
So I am in the exact same situation, except my mom is hanging on for dear life to her 1996 Camry, which is in need of replacing. We found that most sedans (Corolla, Camry, etc.) were too low and difficut to get in and out of. She test drove a Rav4 and liked it and then test drove a Forester and liked it better. She wants a base model with no (or as few as possible) options/features. Used cars are often fully featured, so I'm trying to get her to test drive a 2019 Forester base model, since her local dealer has plenty. Also, dealers can turn off various features if desired.
Good advice. Sums it all up. The rest of the posts are nice but not applicable.

Ease of entry and exit plus visability (windows) are of prime importance to most this age.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:22 PM

Whew!

$2,500 repair estimate. State Farm and Mom says fix it.

Dodged that bullet this time. Let’s hope she stays accident free for a few more years.

Thanks for all the advice, hopefully others in a similar situation have also been made at least aware of what to consider when thinking this through.

To the above poster the new Forester will be a great car for your mom, raised height for easy seat access, great visibility, very solid chassis and all the EyeSight safety suite standard (hopefully its gongs and lights are somewhat able to tone down for less distraction).

We would consider it ourselves if it wasn’t so dang slow. I drive a WRX so am a bit spoiled with accessible power and driving fun

T

Old 01-17-2019, 09:27 AM

25,606 posts, read 61,089,305 times
Get her a Dodge Demon or Hellcat. Enroll her in a racing driving school at the nearest track. Let her have some fun. If she goes out in a blaze of glory, she has not lost much and at least had a blast for a while.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Get her a Dodge Demon or Hellcat. Enroll her in a racing driving school at the nearest track. Let her have some fun. If she goes out in a blaze of glory, she has not lost much and at least had a blast for a while.
Haha! Indeed! We should all have one final hurrah of unadulterated thrills at the end. Thelma and Louise style with your best bud if nothing else.

I definitely would like to experience 800 V8 hp before I die. I would probably crash and burn like so many who have tried and have gotten schooled about physics. But if I ever win the lottery then racing driving school will be my silly splurge that’s for sure!

Old 01-17-2019, 11:46 AM

3,197 posts, read 1,448,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Get her a Dodge Demon or Hellcat.
This ^^^^
Have her buy your dream car, then hope that you outlive her!

Old 01-17-2019, 12:35 PM

25,606 posts, read 61,089,305 times
On a more serious note, some years ago, my father (88) and several of his friends went around and tested dozens of different models of cars to see which affordable cars are the easiest to get in and out of for stiff older people. They all agreed the Buick Encore (Chevy Traxx- but old people buy Buick, not Chevies), was the easiest to get in and out of for them. They all drive Encores to this day. Dad is on his third or fourth lease his friends have all stuck with the same car as well. They have sold several other friends on the Encore once they try it out.

I do not love that car. I think it is cheap, under-powered, ugly, and the back seats are basically worthless. Road noise is bad, but Dad cannot hear it anyway. I like that he has Onstar, a backup camera, and all the other electronic gobbledy **** which seems to work very well. Is suits him perfectly, so it may be worth gritting your teeth and taking a look at it. . I do agree it is likely the best car for an older person who cannot afford a Demon.

Old 01-17-2019, 02:05 PM

7,435 posts, read 15,640,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
To the above poster the new Forester will be a great car for your mom, raised height for easy seat access, great visibility, very solid chassis and all the EyeSight safety suite standard (hopefully its gongs and lights are somewhat able to tone down for less distraction).
My 70something parents love their Forrester- easy entry and exit even when Dad was rehabbing a knee injury, easy to park, comfortable seats, space for groceries and other light loads and while it's 0-60 is kind of slow, they do feel that the surface street 0-30 is quite zippy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or