U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 06:28 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,551,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
It is never which brand.

It is always the miles and condition. Brand means nothing..

Note that some GM trucks have/had driveshaft vibration issues. Google it.

Also some of the GM 5.3 engines had lifter issues.
To your point though, I've never had a GM vehicle that lasted more than 100k or so without major issues. Last Chevy I had was falling apart at 83k. I've had several Toyotas that last well over 200k with no issues whatsoever. I do think brand matters for longevity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 06:29 PM

3,270 posts, read 879,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNkvASxfEWQ

As you can see, it's diesel and does just fine.
Ever seen that tv show Ice Road Truckers all Semi trucks have a diesel you just leave it running all night or plug in the block heater in very cold weather. You will use very little fuel letting you pickup run all night, my brother never shuts his Semi off in the winter months. Same engine but smaller in size in a pickup and you will have more power in a diesel to handle dirt roads.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:55 PM

11,468 posts, read 11,818,258 times
If you want a comfortable ride, buy a Chevvy. If you want to get there, buy a Ford.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:04 PM

6,395 posts, read 3,469,049 times
Dodge with the coil spring suspension will give you the most comfortable ride, although I don't know when they were first introduced. My Chevy Silverado is pretty comfortable, as was my 2001 GMC Sierra. Stay away from diesels if you're not towing anything. Too many people get way too wrapped up over diesels.

Old Yesterday, 01:11 AM

2,301 posts, read 2,817,131 times
When hitting the used market, unless you are in love with a certain brand/year because of styling, then ignore brand and go for the vehicle that looks and runs the best for the price you can afford.

My 07 4.7 ram is still going. I just bought a Ford supercab F150 with the ecoboost. I have always liked V8's in trucks but that little 6 impressed me enough on the test drive that I went ahead and got it because the truck had the rest of the features I liked. I bought it for a good MPG "work truck" but I've been so happy with it I use that instead of my dodge to tow my 21ft center console and my Fiesta is just parked as that F150 has been my daily driver as well. So I wouldn't rule out those.

All of them are of similar quality now days, so the most important , IMO, is the one that has the features you like, has been well maintained and taken care of, and fits in your price range.

Old Yesterday, 02:50 AM

8,624 posts, read 7,618,052 times
https://www.ebay.ca/b/4WD-Crew-Cab-P...01/bn_59499649

This will show you it is possible to meet your goal. I would recommend you stick with big 3, as it is a lot harder if you have mechanical trouble outside big cities. I would stick with gasoline power as diesel hard to find off main interstate highways and bigger cities. Good luck.

Old Yesterday, 05:22 AM

13,957 posts, read 30,060,491 times
If you do find a Tundra just remember the 4.7 (2009 and earlier) uses a timing belt that has to be changed every 100k miles. The 4.6 and 5.7 engines use a chain.

Old Yesterday, 05:44 AM

12,222 posts, read 6,354,048 times
I’d try to find something that hadn’t seen anything but smooth pavement. That kind of use puts a lot of wear on the suspension and things like ball joints. Heavy vehicles that see a lot of pot holes and washboard eventually see suspension issues.

Old Yesterday, 05:47 AM

10,080 posts, read 8,258,304 times
A horse, obviously.

Old Yesterday, 09:25 AM

25,346 posts, read 60,702,639 times
Get what you like. Just be patient.

After looking for a long time, I found A RAM Laramie being sold at an auction selling off the assets of an electrical contacting company that went bust.

It was not cheap but it had the key things I wanted (RAM Boxes, Sunroof, Bench seat in front). Bluebook private sale was $27,000. I bought it for $18,000.

I have put that thing through hell and it is doing fine 85,000 miles and five years later. Lots of little things break (it is a Dodge after all), but The drive train is problem free so far and performs admirably. Other than the Ram Boxes and secret storage compartments all over. I could have bought basically the same truck in Ford, Chevy Toyota models (except the Toyota would cost more and probably would not have been owned by a construction company). THe various brands are barely any different. All will serve your purpose well. PIck which one you like best and then start searching for a good deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive