U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 08:36 PM

5,012 posts, read 5,098,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
In Pennsylvania that thing will be rusted out in just a couple of years.

The Tundra is a good bet.
Not if the vehicle is oil undercoated every year. Zero rust on my 17 year old truck up here in hill and mountain country (with heavy salted roads).

There are multiple threads about oil undercoating here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 08:41 PM

14,628 posts, read 7,821,906 times
Jeep Comanche.

Old Yesterday, 05:40 AM

12,223 posts, read 6,360,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Not if the vehicle is oil undercoated every year. Zero rust on my 17 year old truck up here in hill and mountain country (with heavy salted roads).

Lanolin works better. Fluid Film is the most common brand. All the plow and yellow construction equipment guys I know use it. And steam clean all the salt off in the spring.

Old Yesterday, 11:01 AM

4,632 posts, read 11,693,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
$20k for a crew cab and 4x4? That won't even get you a 10 year old truck that's a 2500/3500, especially diesel.

Sweet spot is about a 2006 Ford Superduty with a lift already on it. Most will have about 200,000 miles but the Power Stroke Diesel will hold up for a long time to come. With 6-7" of lift (and better tires than BFG AT) you will spend about $15k.

For reasonable prices I'd search private sales on Facebook Marketplace first, then Craigslist, THEN if you must shop dealers or just want to, ALWAYS use CarGurus.com
The OP is not looking for a 2500/3500.

Old Yesterday, 11:34 AM

1,884 posts, read 790,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post

How does that prevent the doors, cab ends, rear wheelwell lips, bumpers, and tailgates from rusting out? Frames and suspension? Sure. But painted sheet metal? I've never seen a solution that works on that.

Old Yesterday, 11:39 AM

1,884 posts, read 790,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

Here we go again.

If by "a couple" you mean 25, then you may be correct. Do I need to give you some more links to another dozen Dodge Rams in snow country that are 10 years old and have no rust on them. To the contrary you would be hard pressed to find one ten years old or newer that has any rust on it at all.

I can start with my 2009 Ram if you like. I park it outside. Drive it on salted roads daily. Drive it about 30,000 miles a year. Drive through snow or water, slush mud etc up to the running boards. Pull stuck cars and trucks out of the ditch or wherever they are stuck several times a year. Drive around on industrial construction projects a few times a year. Take it off road for fun a couple of times a year on average. I wash it maybe four times a year, sometimes less. The paint has a lot of little scratches from branches, rocks logs etc. Of course it must be completely rusted out right? Some holes anyway? A least a little rust? None to be seen anywhere? When it is clean, other than the scratches in the paint, it looks brand new. Why that is impossible. It is a miracle truck!

Oh wait that is normal?

What, nearly every truck from the past decade has little or no rust at all? How is that possible?

Maybe this is not 1992? How did that happen?

So sorry - 1992 ended and the world moved on.

This is not your Stonepa's Dodge truck anymore.
I never understand what planet you live on. Or what you define as rust. Earlier this fall I posted pictures I took during a 15 minute span of time at a gas station in Cleveland. Every damn Ford and Dodge truck was rusty, even a slab sided Ford with the current body style. And several Ford Fusions, an Edge, and and an Escape. And my definition of rust is everything from severe paint bubbling to giant gaping holes in the sheet metal. Iron oxide or aluminum oxide. Maybe the salt they use in Detroit is the magic non-corrosive stuff.

This is my last response to your posts.

Old Yesterday, 12:43 PM

2,010 posts, read 474,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
The OP is not looking for a 2500/3500.
OP is not not looking for a 2500/3500. If someone told me I could get an HD within my budget when I was originally okay with a 1500, I'd get it! Holds value longer...

Old Yesterday, 01:28 PM

3,999 posts, read 2,215,346 times
Tires over model

Old Yesterday, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
OP is not not looking for a 2500/3500. If someone told me I could get an HD within my budget when I was originally okay with a 1500, I'd get it! Holds value longer...
Most people only want a 2500/3500 if they need serious towing and/or payload.
Most people don't want to buy a 20+ year old vehicle with 200k miles as you suggest.
Lastly, most people don't want a diesel.

Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Tires over model
??

Model over tires as you can put whatever tires you want on the model you desire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive