U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:31 PM

2,010 posts, read 474,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
??

Model over tires as you can put whatever tires you want on the model you desire.
Tires are easy to find, it's the right truck that's difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:51 PM

2,668 posts, read 2,511,857 times
IMO BF good rich all terrain tires are junk, especially for any kind of off road use, others love them though.

I'd go with a quality mud/snow tire personally. I've had really good luck with Goodyear duratrac wranglers. Great in the mud and snow, even not being siped/studded. They wear nicely too. A BF Goodrich all terrain can't even hold a candle up to the duratrac in comparison.

Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM

1,884 posts, read 790,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
IMO BF good rich all terrain tires are junk, especially for any kind of off road use, others love them though.

I'd go with a quality mud/snow tire personally. I've had really good luck with Goodyear duratrac wranglers. Great in the mud and snow, even not being siped/studded. They wear nicely too. A BF Goodrich all terrain can't even hold a candle up to the duratrac in comparison.
I would agree. I love the look of the ATs but I have had issues with them in the past with tread separation. I have actually had the steel belts rust and cause delimitation of the tire. The Duratracs have had zero problems on my Land Cruiser.

I have had good luck with the BF Goodrich MTs but they are loud. Even worse than the Dunlops MTs I use today.

Old Yesterday, 03:32 PM

2,459 posts, read 913,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Used, up to $20k. I will be driving it from the Lehigh Valley area of PA to the eastern Adirondacks, every weekend. Need a crew cab for comfort for 4 people. I'll be putting BF Goodrich All-Terrains on them day 1.

I like the Tundra as I have good luck with Toyota's but $20k doesn't get you much. Any year/model that is particularly reliable and comfortable in the Big Three trucks?
Any truck model would be fine. If there is deep snow and drifting on the roads, buy actual winter tires and a truck that has higher clearance. If you get caught in a drift a 4x4 might help but nothing will help if you hit the deep snow in a ditch. A winch might be a good accessory.

Northern Canada here. Ford F-150 runs well.

Old Yesterday, 04:39 PM

4,632 posts, read 11,693,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post

The Duratrac is definitely more aggressive than the KO2s and will get you further off road, but they 'act' more aggressive too (way more highway noise, worse handling).

Old Yesterday, 05:03 PM

2,010 posts, read 474,468 times
Quote:
The Duratrac is definitely more aggressive than the KO2s and will get you further off road, but they 'act' more aggressive too (way more highway noise, worse handling).
BFG lost me when they released the KO2. Ugliest sidewall with the tread creeping over the shoulder.

Perfectly happy with the Goodyear Wrangler A/T.

Old Yesterday, 11:39 PM

819 posts, read 331,007 times
Quote:
Lastly, most people don't want a diesel.
Then most people are fools. Diesels are great! Big ones, little ones, in cars or trucks.

Old Today, 11:00 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,298,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Any truck model would be fine. If there is deep snow and drifting on the roads, buy actual winter tires and a truck that has higher clearance. If you get caught in a drift a 4x4 might help but nothing will help if you hit the deep snow in a ditch. A winch might be a good accessory.

Northern Canada here. Ford F-150 runs well.
Use common sense, too. We recently saw yet another case of My Truck Has 4WD So I Can Drive Fast near our house. The guy went off the side TWICE within 0.1 mile. First time, someone with a PU pulled him out. Then he drove into the ditch on the other side. That time, the other driver said he would not be able to get him out. The stuckee had to call a tow truck to do it. The ditch is all torn up there and will be a mess to repair come spring.

The driver claimed he was going only 15 mph. Problem was, he should have been idling along at 5 mph max.

Old Today, 11:06 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,298,704 times
The Goodyear Wranglers I had shifted belts.

I have had good luck and performance with BFG AT KOs. I am on my second set, bought late 2013.

Old Today, 11:17 AM

9,267 posts, read 7,361,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

Here we go again.

If by "a couple" you mean 25, then you may be correct. Do I need to give you some more links to another dozen Dodge Rams in snow country that are 10 years old and have no rust on them. To the contrary you would be hard pressed to find one ten years old or newer that has any rust on it at all.

I can start with my 2009 Ram if you like. I park it outside. Drive it on salted roads daily. Drive it about 30,000 miles a year. Drive through snow or water, slush mud etc up to the running boards. Pull stuck cars and trucks out of the ditch or wherever they are stuck several times a year. Drive around on industrial construction projects a few times a year. Take it off road for fun a couple of times a year on average. I wash it maybe four times a year, sometimes less. The paint has a lot of little scratches from branches, rocks logs etc. Of course it must be completely rusted out right? Some holes anyway? A least a little rust? None to be seen anywhere? When it is clean, other than the scratches in the paint, it looks brand new. Why that is impossible. It is a miracle truck!

Oh wait that is normal?

What, nearly every truck from the past decade has little or no rust at all? How is that possible?

Maybe this is not 1992? How did that happen?

So sorry - 1992 ended and the world moved on.

This is not your Stonepa's Dodge truck anymore.

Yeah, my 1999 dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab has a little rust on it, in areas where dust and dirt accumulate and can not be cleaned without disassembly. The dirt holds moisture, causing minor rust. It isn't enough to have any effect on the viability of the truck, though. It still gets me where I want to go, and brings me home, even with over 400,000 miles on it. It ain't pretty, but it isn't butt ugly, either.

My 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited has over 188,000 miles, and no rust at all. But then, it came from Northern Nevada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive