Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 12:36 AM

1 posts, read 585 times

Advertisements

Where do you buy the automotive accessories? Could you please give me some advise about how to choose a store or brand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 08:09 AM

15,708 posts, read 20,239,147 times
Depends on the vehicle.

Old 01-18-2019, 08:19 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,744,757 times
Yeah, that's a pretty broad question. We'd need to know the vehicle and what sort of accessories to provide anything like a useful answer.

But like more and more Americans, I but a lot of my stuff on Amazon these days. The convenience and customer service are great. Plus you can read reviews, research part numbers, etc. and get a pretty good idea of the quality before you buy. Rock Auto is also great.

I work on my on my own and other people's vehicles all the time, and these days I just don't go to parts stores that much. Unless I need a part *now*, I can almost always get a better and less expensive part online. And for automotive fluids... as much as I hate Walmart, it is the cheapest by far. And their selection these days is pretty good. Covers 90% of what I need.

Old 01-18-2019, 08:53 AM

30,703 posts, read 79,429,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Yeah, that's a pretty broad question. We'd need to know the vehicle and what sort of accessories to provide anything like a useful answer.

But like more and more Americans, I but a lot of my stuff on Amazon these days. The convenience and customer service are great. Plus you can read reviews, research part numbers, etc. and get a pretty good idea of the quality before you buy. Rock Auto is also great.

I work on my on my own and other people's vehicles all the time, and these days I just don't go to parts stores that much. Unless I need a part *now*, I can almost always get a better and less expensive part online. And for automotive fluids... as much as I hate Walmart, it is the cheapest by far. And their selection these days is pretty good. Covers 90% of what I need.
I am pretty much exactly the same. I could have written this post. except the part about Walmart. Their fluids are cheaper, but i will not go into Walmart. the price difference is not worth it. Walmart is evil.

Besides the time difference between auto zone and Walmart makes up for any price difference. Autozone is three miles away, I can part virtually at the door and be in and out in five minutes. Walmart is seveen miles away plus another half mile driving around the parking lot looking for a space. I do nto go into Walmart but I ado use stores like Meijers or target which are similar. You are not going to get in an out of any of them in five minutes. Half an hour is lucky. So, to me, between the evil of Walmart and the extra time involved, it is not worth it to save $2.89 on oil.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:00 AM

17,487 posts, read 17,349,511 times
This depends upon the accessories. What type of accessories are you talking about? Floor mats, stereo head unit, speakers, rims, hubcaps, seat covers, steering wheel covers, windshield shade, etc? For minor accessories you can get by with things from Walmart or Autozone. Some accessories are better at higher end places or from the dealership. Some accessories I wouldn’t bother to buy based upon personal experience. Flip down visor shade that attaches to your visor is hit and miss. Most I’ve tried didn’t work well nor last.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:18 AM

24,301 posts, read 16,977,085 times
Who here remembers the JC Whitney catalogs?

They always had all kinds of cool and quirky things.

I remember buying my girlfriend a "blinky the cat" it was a stuffed white cat with red eyes that you would place on the rear shelf of your car and wire it into the back lights and the red eyes would blink when you used your indicator.

Too funny.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:46 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,799,854 times
My choices are based on:
What I need done, vs what reviews say they actually do, vs what kind of budget I have, vs what warranty they come with, vs their manufacturers reputation, vs their ability to actually work in my car, vs dealer/factory installed alternates.
As mentioned above, this is a pretty broad question. Folks may be able to provide more help with specific details.

Old 01-18-2019, 01:02 PM

3,317 posts, read 2,305,541 times
The only auto accessory I've purchased was a tonneau cover for my truck bed. I went to the F-150 forums and read up on which brand and style was recommended and had a local dealership install it.

Old 01-18-2019, 01:44 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,170,949 times
Fuzzy Dice Emporium.

Old 01-18-2019, 03:39 PM

2,430 posts, read 2,429,140 times
Rock Auto and Ebay are often good places to buy auto parts. I haven't entered a brick and mortar in years. I don't know how they're staying in business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive