U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 01:55 PM

13,682 posts, read 43,669,072 times

Advertisements

I think trading in a car that needs brakes and tires is nuts. Brakes and tires are wear items. If the car is otherwise sound, do the brakes and tires, and go on.

I rather suspect the OP is not a DIY kind of guy, and does not really know much about cars, from his posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 03:08 PM

1,983 posts, read 825,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Hey guys,

I'm completely torn on my car situation and thought I would post here to see if someone could help sway me one direction or another.

I'm driving a 2010 Toyota Camry with 165K miles on it. The car is at a point where it needs some major TLC.
I'm looking at probably needing a complete brake job, new tires and my power locks don't work. So maybe 2K in repairs right there.

Even worse, the car makes a thumping sound when driving slow, rides very rough at fast speeds with my hands shaking or vibrating on the steeling wheel. A friend told me it could be as bad as needing a new rear suspension. I looked online and all that could cost me another 2K. So I'm looking at maybe 5K total.
Also I read that Kia have more leg room which is important for a tall guy like me.

Is it really worth sinking that much money into a car that has pretty much no resell value or just trading up and getting a new used one? I found a 2016 Kia with only 43K for 13K here. I bet I could talk them down to an even 10K after my trade in. That would only put me paying out 5K more than if I keep the old car and fix it up. OTOH, the car engine is solid and could hold up for much longer.

Course the other thing is I've always been a Camry guy and trust their reliability. I read that Kia's are less reliable. Would that even be that much of a factor back in 2016?
Wait - all that on a 2010 Camry that is barely broken in? Brake job is a normal maintenance item and not that expensive. The thumping sound could be many things but is most likely your bad tires. Door locks could be a simple fuse as they don't break on Camrys.

Take it to an independent Toyota repair shop, get it all fixed, and live your life. That Camry should last a long time.
I wouldn't trade a Camry for a Kia ever.

Old 01-18-2019, 05:22 PM

1,456 posts, read 593,353 times
It's a personal choice. Buy a newer car if you like, keep the old one and fix it if you like. Or buy another old one of the same make and model with lower mileage for a lot less than $13,000.

When my 2008 Crown Vic got to 175,000 miles I sold it for $2650 and bought a 2011 Crown Vic with 89,000 miles for $4500.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:06 PM

12,736 posts, read 8,679,168 times
Time for a new Vette brett.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:19 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,152,975 times
Fix it up best you can and sell it. You only live once, unless you have other beliefs. Get a new one, with all the options you want and enjoy it.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:42 PM

1,370 posts, read 620,511 times
The suspension stuff may be bad struts. If they have never been replaced, they probably need it now.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:43 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,839,663 times
don't get it fixed at the dealer. indy shop all the way

Old 01-18-2019, 07:05 PM

15,832 posts, read 15,826,458 times
I would get estimates for the stuff you know needs attention. Either way, you are going to be sinking money into a depreciating asset.

The thumping while driving my be something as simple as a mismatched or damaged tire.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:24 PM

10,804 posts, read 25,928,762 times
I'd look for a newer Camry, Avalon, or Lexus ES if you wanted a newer vehicle, not a KIA that will be near the end of the warranty soon, as it truncates to 5/50 if you purchase it used, unless it's CPO. And, if it's CPO, forget negotiating down to $10k, since there's not that much markup in the car, and they will add in the cost of the extended warranty, or extending the warranty beyond 5/50. For that reason, KIA and Hyundai are best bought new for not much more, and at a lower interest rate if you want to finance it.

I agree that I'd find a good independent mechanic, because tires and brakes are a wear item. I'd never consider getting rid of a car for that alone. Power locks can be a simple fix, especially if all of them are out. If one of the doors is not working, it could be an actuator, which is not a prohibitively expensive fix. Talk to an independent mechanic to get the issues diagnosed, since it may not be $2k.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-18-2019, 07:35 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,488,472 times
If you can do DIY repairs and your goal is to save money, then the choice if obvious. Fix the car. This car isn't even 10 years old yet. With a few minor repairs, it's got *a lot* of life left in it.

If you're paying somebody else to do it... the choice is less obvious.

What's your goal here? Are you trying to minimize operating expenses? Or do you want an awesome new car?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive