U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 06:03 PM

2,408 posts, read 4,448,626 times

Advertisements

I have an older Honda. In the past year it became harder and harder to insert the key into the front left door. It seemed like there was something in the hole or something was broken inside. The keys worked okay in the other places (the trunk or ignition, or the right door).

It got worse so I went to a locksmith today because my body shop is closed on Saturdays. They dismantled the door and the guy said a piece of metal was sticking into the hole, making it harder to insert the key. It seems to be okay now.

Is it possible to open the cylinder that contains the keyhole? I imagine that's how you get out a foreign object.

The guy said Hondas have this problem especially, the keyhole tends to get worn out, have you ever heard that?

Another thing I learned is that many locksmiths work on car locks and not just buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 06:30 PM

680 posts, read 1,580,472 times
We had a similar problem with a 2008 Honda Fit. Never really solved it, just using the keyfob button as an alternative.

Old Today, 06:41 PM

2,607 posts, read 1,159,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I have an older Honda. In the past year it became harder and harder to insert the key into the front left door. It seemed like there was something in the hole or something was broken inside. The keys worked okay in the other places (the trunk or ignition, or the right door).

It got worse so I went to a locksmith today because my body shop is closed on Saturdays. They dismantled the door and the guy said a piece of metal was sticking into the hole, making it harder to insert the key. It seems to be okay now.

Is it possible to open the cylinder that contains the keyhole? I imagine that's how you get out a foreign object.

The guy said Hondas have this problem especially, the keyhole tends to get worn out, have you ever heard that?

Another thing I learned is that many locksmiths work on car locks and not just buildings.
Did you try a little graphite on the key or squirted into the hole? One thing to try is to rub the key with a pencil and see if it operates smoother. The graphite powder you buy in a tube can be quite messy, so be careful if you go that route.

Old Today, 07:31 PM

10,106 posts, read 14,462,268 times
Lock has cylinder with small pins that match key shape. Key aligns them so that cylinder can be turned. One of those pins got dislodged.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive