U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-21-2019, 07:21 AM
 
7,760 posts, read 1,931,885 times
Reputation: 5433

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I'd say that dovetails with the supposed Henry Ford comment that, had he asked what people wanted, they would have replied "Faster horses."

The flying car of ten thousand sf magazine covers (and about that many PopMech and PopSci covers as well) is one thing. It's possible there's a workable design in between flying lozenges and the current airplanes that can fold up for highway travel. But it's not going to be cheap nor will it replace the ground vehicle.
When I hear the term 'flying car', I think of hovering cars, like the Landspeeder in star wars or the type of vehicles in the movie "Fifth element'...vehicles that hover, not really 'fly'.


Regarding the cost, Im not sure they would be so much more, Ive read plenty on how anti gravity will probably work one day and even how the old Indian 'Vimhanas' (spelling?) were constructed, it is basically solid state technology, Not as high tech, exotic, as one might assume, the real catch to these types of vehicles, if this type of power source is possible, it would be extremely bad for big industries like oil and gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-21-2019, 08:21 AM
 
Location: Floribama
13,984 posts, read 30,098,337 times
Reputation: 12561
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
When I hear the term 'flying car', I think of hovering cars, like the Landspeeder in star wars or the type of vehicles in the movie "Fifth element'...vehicles that hover, not really 'fly'.


Regarding the cost, Im not sure they would be so much more, Ive read plenty on how anti gravity will probably work one day and even how the old Indian 'Vimhanas' (spelling?) were constructed, it is basically solid state technology, Not as high tech, exotic, as one might assume, the real catch to these types of vehicles, if this type of power source is possible, it would be extremely bad for big industries like oil and gas.
I always think of Back To The Future II. You didnít see any wings or propellers on those cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2019, 09:00 AM
 
Location: HoCo, MD
4,052 posts, read 7,704,537 times
Reputation: 4338
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I cannot view the OP videos, so I searched the net. I could not find one video or even one picture (that was not CGI) of this thing flying - or even driving... Does anyone have another video link?

Until then, I just say "Moller."
Heh. I've been following Moller Intl' on and off since I read an article about the man in the late 90's. Then it really peaked my interest when his Skycar was in a Clive Cussler novel. That said - 20 years later, it hasn't really gone any further than prototypes...I don't believe they've even done any flying without a tether.

Would love to see them succeed though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2019, 09:29 AM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
55,701 posts, read 39,333,175 times
Reputation: 27815
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

I know they can, had one fly across my path about chest high while on a motorcycle at 60 mph. Judging by its size would've been a very expensive way of getting dinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2019, 09:32 AM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
55,701 posts, read 39,333,175 times
Reputation: 27815
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
When I hear the term 'flying car', I think of hovering cars, like the Landspeeder in star wars or the type of vehicles in the movie "Fifth element'...vehicles that hover, not really 'fly'.


Regarding the cost, Im not sure they would be so much more, Ive read plenty on how anti gravity will probably work one day and even how the old Indian 'Vimhanas' (spelling?) were constructed, it is basically solid state technology, Not as high tech, exotic, as one might assume, the real catch to these types of vehicles, if this type of power source is possible, it would be extremely bad for big industries like oil and gas.

Kinda like those 200 mpg carburetors big oil bought up and kept off the market?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2019, 09:37 AM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
25,389 posts, read 60,775,649 times
Reputation: 28177
They already have flying "cars" Or at least flying boats that can also go on a road if it was allowed. the technology to make flying cars is already there. However there are problems to resolve that will keep them impractical for mass production and use for many decades. First and foremost is the fact there is no practical way to stop or turn sharply while flying. A really good driver might be able to spin around and use the thrust to stop in a hundred feet or so. That is not going to pass safety muster. Problem is you need a lot of fraction to stop or turn quickly and the whole point of flying is reduced friction. then of course you need to figure out three dimensional lanes so we do not end up with millions of collisions. Plus you need to be able to enter and exit lanes, travel at different speeds, etc. Computers might one day control all that as long as there are no human operators to do unexpected things, but we are not there yet. We still need air traffic controller humans just to handle a few thousand airplanes. A hundred million flying cars is beyond our capability right now and for the foreseeable future. And, what do we do when the internet goes down for an hour?

Then of course you have the noise problem. . . . also places to land and take off from. i wonder if you can use them in a parking garage? I certainly would not want ot be walkig to my car with 20 flying cars in the same garage with me, I would get blown right through the wall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2019, 09:38 AM
 
Location: USA
14,693 posts, read 7,847,493 times
Reputation: 10765
We will not be seeing flying cars anytime soon. You see how a lot of people drive today. Do you really want to let them fly? You wanna fly? Go down to you local airport FBO, hire a CFI, and go fly and get your certificate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2019, 09:50 AM
 
Location: The Driftless Area, WI
2,147 posts, read 768,544 times
Reputation: 4435
I can't wait to experience rush hour with a million flying cars all converging on The Loop in Chicago at 8AM every day. It'll give new meaning (and excitement) to the term "Flyin' the Ryan.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2019, 09:52 AM
 
7,760 posts, read 1,931,885 times
Reputation: 5433
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Kinda like those 200 mpg carburetors big oil bought up and kept off the market?
Gee, I wonder why govt would need to create 'The Invention Secrecy Act of 1951'?


Have you ever read about this, what its purpose was/is? The act has 2 main objectives, both are pretty interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2019, 09:55 AM
 
7,760 posts, read 1,931,885 times
Reputation: 5433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
They already have flying "cars" Or at least flying boats that can also go on a road if it was allowed. the technology to make flying cars is already there. However there are problems to resolve that will keep them impractical for mass production and use for many decades. First and foremost is the fact there is no practical way to stop or turn sharply while flying. A really good driver might be able to spin around and use the thrust to stop in a hundred feet or so. That is not going to pass safety muster. Problem is you need a lot of fraction to stop or turn quickly and the whole point of flying is reduced friction. then of course you need to figure out three dimensional lanes so we do not end up with millions of collisions. Plus you need to be able to enter and exit lanes, travel at different speeds, etc. Computers might one day control all that as long as there are no human operators to do unexpected things, but we are not there yet. We still need air traffic controller humans just to handle a few thousand airplanes. A hundred million flying cars is beyond our capability right now and for the foreseeable future. And, what do we do when the internet goes down for an hour?

Then of course you have the noise problem. . . . also places to land and take off from. i wonder if you can use them in a parking garage? I certainly would not want ot be walkig to my car with 20 flying cars in the same garage with me, I would get blown right through the wall.
If all the 'UFOs' people report today are really secret experimental aircraft/ technology, then, we DO indeed have the technology to make hover/flying cars a reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top