Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 11:00 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,679,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
If all the 'UFOs' people report today are really secret experimental aircraft/ technology, then, we DO indeed have the technology to make hover/flying cars a reality.
Yes, people building prototypes that can barely hover and fly around a wheatfield (if that... if there is ever a full physical model at all) prove that zippy craft that can hover, change direction rapidly and outrun F-18s and SR-71s exist.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 12:09 PM

68,281 posts, read 54,065,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Gee, I wonder why govt would need to create 'The Invention Secrecy Act of 1951'?

Have you ever read about this, what its purpose was/is? The act has 2 main objectives, both are pretty interesting.

An act created by politicians does nothing to validate the existence of such things as a 200 mpg carburetor. Show me the work of engineers and physicists confirming such a unit is possible for 'normal' everyday vehicles as opposed to bicycle tired entrants in some efficiency contest driven by 98 lb students.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
An act created by politicians does nothing to validate the existence of such things as a 200 mpg carburetor.
But, see, the super secrecy means we have no idea at all what's been spirited away to those spooky warehouses.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:16 PM

68,281 posts, read 54,065,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
But, see, the super secrecy means we have no idea at all what's been spirited away to those spooky warehouses.

Yeah, I guess the alternate laws of physics leading to things like teletransporters MUST be kept secret to keep transportation industries afloat. Who'd wanna sit on an airplane for 19 hours on the way to Singapore when you could just go online and say 'beam me down Scotty' ?

Old 01-21-2019, 04:27 PM

18,822 posts, read 27,268,040 times
So far, it's all a single man in the shop deals or "we need your investment/down-payment" deals.
Think about it.
Where you going to take off from?
Where you going to land?
Who will go to pilot school to get license?
Who will create new airborne lay pilots traffic rules?
How this will influence regular, established air traffic?
How will you police those flying cars?

And so on and so on

This is strictly impractical exercise in engineering or money scamming. Show a carbon box with something moving VERY slowly, add to this a quick vid with promising CGI and ask for donations, as those are, basically, donations. I say so as proud ELIO car t-shirt owner, to the tune of $100 sign up donation. 6/3/2014 and they are still in development stages and still asking for funds.

Those flying cars will have to be VTOLs only to be any practical use and only for some open space low to none arial traffic areas. Sure, drug smugglers might be interested, why not. But, otherwise, it's a common joke that been around for way too long.

Just like one of those, and if militaries didn't proceed, you seriously expect civil folks to win this game?

Old 01-21-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
And so on and so on
True, and good points in the argument... IF we can build them, what will be the downstream/collateral issues?

As there is basically no way to build the archetypal "flying car," it doesn't really matter whether we have traffic cops with jetpacks or not.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:16 PM

6,972 posts, read 4,822,259 times
Don't they already have boats and things that can hover?

I want a flying car that doesn't go a million miles a minute and doesn't cost $140,000. I want a flying car that looks like a car (not a plane) that will rise up and hover to about 6-10 feet, do about 70mph, and be small enough to park in a regular parking space. I also want room for my dog and groceries, AC and a CD player, convertible top, and have it use air for fuel. I also want to be the only one to own one so I can fly up and over everyone in a traffic jam. Oh, it also needs to be dual use for service as a regular car and I only want to pay about $2000. Or less. Lots less. Maybe get it for free. Yeah, that works.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:47 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,152,402 times
This wouldn't be the first flying car to actually work, if it does work. It already became reality 60-70 years ago. The problem has always been the same: The flying car isn't a very good car nor a very good plane.

To answer some of the recent questions in this thread, most are not designed to take off or land without a runway. You've got to have a pilot's license to fly one, and you'd need a runway (either private or public) to take off and land. In flight you follow Federal Flight Rules; on the ground you follow state or city driving regulations. It's not that far-fetched. But they don't make a lot of sense.

The one posted by the OP says it sells for $140K, flies up to 190 mph or drives up to 125 mph on the road. That sounds pretty good. I don't think it'll happen. Even if it did, that $140K would likely be kit price and not include avionics, engine, prop, etc. If it flies 190 mph that's probably downhill, and if it drives at 125 mph that's just until a wind gust sends you into the ditch or worse. WHY would anyone design a flying car, where weight is a primary consideration, to hit 125 mph on the road? Makes no sense to me.

Even if it did all the things it's supposed to do, would you really want to drive that thing in rush hour traffic on slick roads? Would you even want to park it in a public parking space? Can you imagine the "body shop" price to repair getting rear-ended?

Even for a flat $140K, I'd prefer a nice little zippy $100K airplane and $40K in my pocket for Hertz rentals. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:46 PM

4,163 posts, read 4,401,636 times
They already exist and are in use in Dubai - probably not as most people would think of them....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbImqlqdozk

Old 01-21-2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
They already exist and are in use in Dubai - probably not as most people would think of them....
No, that's exactly as most people think of them - a one-off prototype that can't possibly survive into a real market, in Dubai or Dubuque or anywhere else. Great score, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive