U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would there be a market for mass produced simple basic cars?
yes 39 44.83%
no 48 55.17%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 07:09 PM

7,095 posts, read 4,618,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Tata wants to sell cars here but canít because they canít pass front and side impact test.
I looked at Tata, for example here: https://www.zigwheels.com/newcars/Tata. Their cars are "modern", in the sense of electronics and related conveniences. They're basically a lower-price, lower-performance version of Korean subcompacts already sold in the US.

Instead, I'd be more interested in something like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindustan_Ambassador. It's basically a Morris Oxford Series-III. Beautiful little car, which (as most beautiful little cars go) could use an engine swap. Maybe a Toyota 22R?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 07:15 PM

15,767 posts, read 15,743,763 times
Yeah, if cheap enough.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:51 PM

7,865 posts, read 2,492,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I'd say so. So yes, cable breaks would be a no no.
Look at how many of us bought Volkswagen Bugs. And they often had cables breaking. I always carried a couple spares of each with me and knew how to splice a clutch cable, to get one extra use out of it. Outside of the drive-train, there wasn't anything I couldn't and didn't fix and I'm good with wood and fiberglass, not so much with mechanics.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:30 PM
Status: "In the chilly hours and minutes of uncertainty" (set 13 days ago)

1,218 posts, read 518,491 times
A modern ultra-simple car might copy some VW-bug features:

Air-cooled engine, so no radiator or water pump.

Engine in the rear, driving the rear wheels, so no drive shaft needed, and no CV joints in the front.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:39 AM
sub

568 posts, read 303,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
Oh mygosh yes I would buy one. Hand window cranks, manual lock with the key, huge engine bay, bench vinyl seat that does not recline... a thousand yeses. My old '85 Dodge truck was like that with its inline 6 cyl. As basic and generic as it could get. Had it 20 years and could fix anything on it. Unfortunately you cant get that type of vehicle any longer. Just seems with every little thing they add for convenience add's another grand to the cost. ...But with EPA and safety rules these days I get it.

Of course I love my modern '17 Tacoma and all of the conveniences that come with it, but sometimes... ya know?
Yep.
If I needed a pickup, what you had in that Dodge would be ideal.
It's one of the reasons I don't particularly like trucks anymore. I like them simple and utilitarian. Regular cab, 8 foot bed.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:55 AM

5,051 posts, read 5,123,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Instead, I'd be more interested in something like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindustan_Ambassador. It's basically a Morris Oxford Series-III. Beautiful little car, which (as most beautiful little cars go) could use an engine swap. Maybe a Toyota 22R?
Again, the local population did not want a modern 1950's car and the Hindustan (Morris) was discontinued. Even 3rd world folks with limited funds don't want a cheap dated car.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:52 AM

9,002 posts, read 9,838,989 times
Something that has changed alot is the amount of time people spend in their cars. Someone who bought a car in the 40's told me that after 15,000 miles your car was old and worn out. People in sales like I was are doing at least that every year. Some parts of the country commutes are 2hrs one way. I could see something like club cars for short trips or everyday use if cities created special trails or roadways for them. That would be my concern for lightweight passenger vehicles, the insurance would be too high.

Old 01-23-2019, 10:01 AM

12,077 posts, read 8,052,267 times
Americans in general especially millennials prefer cars loaded with useless tech far from being simple. Simple cars means buying used cars from the late 90s or early 2000s.

Old 01-23-2019, 10:08 AM

294 posts, read 50,874 times
Roughly how much added cost does a modern emissions systems add to the manufacturing cost of an otherwise bare bones car?

I assume it would entail electronic ignition and electronic fuel injection and a catalytic converter, plus appropriate electronics to control everything for various load conditions, etc.

Does the total added cost (less the cost of stuff being jettisoned such as carburetors) total more than, say, $3,000 per vehicle?

Old 01-23-2019, 10:19 AM

294 posts, read 50,874 times
Personally, I'd love a vehicle that was designed with a much longer service life in mind. That is probably a combination of components designed to last longer (where feasible) plus design-for-maintainability.

For example, I remember a Pontiac Sunbird was NOT designed for maintainability - for example, you had to loosen the motor mounts and tilt the engine in order to change the spark plugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or