U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would there be a market for mass produced simple basic cars?
yes 47 45.63%
no 56 54.37%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 03:50 AM

1,484 posts, read 651,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
The '88 Samurai, the cheapest of the model run, was $8k before options, tax, and destination charges, not $4k, and no one was getting them for $2k or less new. Sorry. Today , accounting for inflation, that Samurai would run $17k.

nope they were 48 hundred here in texas and other places they were as high as 7k(like in cali) the average was 6k. and even accounting for inflation with modern manufacturing technology they should be cheaper to make now than they were then (just like a basic desktop computer cost you $2,000 in the 80's you can get for $250 today) also a new "Suzuki jinmy" (what they were called everywhere else) you can get in India(their biggest market outside of japan) for "5.5 lakh" that's "$7,728 USD" as they did not stop making them they just stopped selling them in the good ole USA. but they still sell well in most of Asia, India, Africa and parts of south America. as they are still very simple(easy to work on) and durable.

https://www.drivespark.com/four-whee...es-025882.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN0Kzeg3zLY

Last edited by cyphorx; 02-01-2019 at 04:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 04:29 AM

13,396 posts, read 9,488,783 times
The OX, flat pack truck, is one attempt to make a DIY 3rd world friendly vehicle.

THE OX • OX Global Vehicle Trust

http://oxgvt.com/wp-content/uploads/Transmission.jpg

Old 02-01-2019, 05:31 PM

198 posts, read 33,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
nope they were 48 hundred here in texas and other places they were as high as 7k(like in cali) the average was 6k.
No. I looked up and researched MSRP, you're just misremembering them.

And the point is, you can't make a safe, emissions legal car NOW that is cheaper in 2019 dollars than these cars were in '80s dollars. NOT. GONNA. HAPPEN. You wanna cheap $2000 car, go buy a used beater and quit arguing about things you obviously don't know anything about.

Old Yesterday, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
No. I looked up and researched MSRP, you're just misremembering them.

And the point is, you can't make a safe, emissions legal car NOW that is cheaper in 2019 dollars than these cars were in '80s dollars. NOT. GONNA. HAPPEN. You wanna cheap $2000 car, go buy a used beater and quit arguing about things you obviously don't know anything about.

I know about cost reductions by using robotics(they don't get paid vacation,lunch breaks, workman's comp or pension plans) I understand moore's law, I know that they are currently selling them for around $7K USD(just no longer in USA and a big chunk of Europe) and thats WITH many modern gadgets stuffed in, take out all the unnecessary stuff that is not needed to make the car go from a to z and they could easily slash their current price. the MSRP is the manufacturers SUGGESTED retail price, so back then dealerships would go over or under MSRP which is what gives people haggle room. and the reporter stated in that clip FROM 1986 that they were going for $6,800 and that clip was from Florida, here in the DFW part of Texas they averaged $4,800(no radio or AC) without trade in and the sidekicks were a bit more(those were cheaper in Oklahoma for some reason which I guess is why a lot of the sidekicks here had Oklahoma dealer plates).

Now granted this does not happen as much today because MOST buyers are more informed thanks to the internet(dealerships lowering the price of one car to get people on the lot and jacking up the price of others that they spend all their time trying to actually sell you when you show up).

I came really close to buying one, until a neighbor offered to sell me his mustang for $700, anyway I went in to buy a samurai because of a commercial I saw plus I had friends who had them and I drove one of them and really liked it and it was a new car it would only take me 4-5 months to pay off(I've always been frugal even in highschool lol), I show up and the salesman tried REEEAAALLYY hard to sell me a sidekick fully loaded(they had no base model sidekicks) which is how I got the mustang I went home and was going to come back and buy from a different salesmen the next day because his up-selling pissed me off, I got home and told my dad about it when he was outside talking to a neighbor and I learned he was selling his mustang.

Old Yesterday, 05:50 AM

14,826 posts, read 7,908,902 times
A friend of mine bought a Samurai new, from a dealer for $5K. He put it on his credit card.

I'd like to see a STRIPPED Jeep Wrangler again, like the old CJ's. Yes, I know there are more DOT, and EPA regs though, but I mean everything else. It can be done. My 2003 TJ Wrangler Sport is as basic as it gets. The only "computer" it has runs the fuel injections and I guess the emissions. No multi function display, no power windows, or locks. It is very basic, jet if sold new would meet all the regulations except for the back up camera, which is a joke anyway.

Old Today, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
A friend of mine bought a Samurai new, from a dealer for $5K. He put it on his credit card.

I'd like to see a STRIPPED Jeep Wrangler again, like the old CJ's. Yes, I know there are more DOT, and EPA regs though, but I mean everything else. It can be done. My 2003 TJ Wrangler Sport is as basic as it gets. The only "computer" it has runs the fuel injections and I guess the emissions. No multi function display, no power windows, or locks. It is very basic, jet if sold new would meet all the regulations except for the back up camera, which is a joke anyway.

yep the less tech dependent the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or