U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would there be a market for mass produced simple basic cars?
yes 39 44.83%
no 48 55.17%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-21-2019, 12:34 PM

12,483 posts, read 9,482,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
Not saying that you HAVE to get such a car, just asking if there is a market. as often as I hear people complain about how its harder to work on your own car these days, I feel there is a market.
I hope not. I had asthma as a child and I really hope that cars without emission control don't come back.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 12:47 PM

13,778 posts, read 12,612,557 times
There is no mass market for those things.

Even as of now, the lowest cost cars do not sell well.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:58 PM

9,020 posts, read 16,003,952 times
Quote:
lol actually hugo's were a huge hit, I remember seeing those things everywhere, same with the original Hyundai, and the GEO metro. they were cars that more people could afford. yes they were usually bought for kids going off to college(a cheap car that would be under warranty), or as an affordable second family car. and yes they were the but of "he got cleaned out in the divorce" jokes(like the line in the Kanya West song "gold digger" the went "see him on TV any given Sunday, wins the Superbowl drives off in a Hyundai"), but they were everywhere.
Sure, they sold well. But they were way more than your $2000 target 30 years ago, they certainly couldn't be sold for that now.

If fact, if you break down the numbers, looking at the Yugo as an example, the base model sold for $3990 when it was rolled out in 1986. Accounting for inflation, that would be roughly $9000 today. And when you factor in the EPA and safety features that didn't even exist then but are mandatory now you're probably looking at something in the $13,000 range which is what a Nissan Versa or a Chevy Spark runs.

Old 01-21-2019, 01:00 PM

55,778 posts, read 39,365,996 times
Quote:
By simple and basic, I mean none of the bells and whistles of modern cars, no computer systems, advanced emissions systems, modern braking systems, electric window controls, etc etc etc.

just a basic motor that comes in 3 , 4 or 8 cylinders, manual tranny, drive shaft and 4 wheels. a car that anyone with a $50 ratchet set can work on and fix the majority of problems that may come up(no specialized parts). that could be sold for under 2K new.

I have a young cousin in college who did a report on the average cost to build a car factoring in money spent on R&D, labor and materials, the cost of each part. if you strip away all the bells and whistles with todays modern production technology a Functional car or truck could be built for under 1K.

I'd like to see that report, doesn't sound realistic.

Old 01-21-2019, 01:08 PM

2,715 posts, read 2,133,022 times
Quote:
By simple and basic, I mean none of the bells and whistles of modern cars, no computer systems, advanced emissions systems, modern braking systems, electric window controls, etc etc etc.

just a basic motor that comes in 3 , 4 or 8 cylinders, manual tranny, drive shaft and 4 wheels. a car that anyone with a $50 ratchet set can work on and fix the majority of problems that may come up(no specialized parts). that could be sold for under 2K new.

I have a young cousin in college who did a report on the average cost to build a car factoring in money spent on R&D, labor and materials, the cost of each part. if you strip away all the bells and whistles with todays modern production technology a Functional car or truck could be built for under 1K.

Is healthcare a bell or a whistle?

Old 01-21-2019, 01:16 PM

6,420 posts, read 3,499,229 times
Not in the US. But Tata is building one in India for the masses.

Old 01-21-2019, 01:16 PM

187 posts, read 30,043 times
Quote:

BTW, looking at the pic you used in the OP, the air ride system on that hot rod cost over $1500 by itself, the tubular Mustang II based front suspension costs about the same. You're at $3k in parts alone in that picture and we've only discussed the front suspension.

Computer systems are easy to deal with, I do it all the time. Advanced emissions systems are necessary, a legal requirement and I HOPE that we don't go back to heavily polluting systems. Modern braking systems are MUCH safer (I like stopping. I don't think the motto: if the brakes don't stop you, something will" is a valuable goal, dude).

Again, the report your cousin did is full of factual fallacies. Post the report here and we can prove it.

Old 01-21-2019, 02:19 PM

37,689 posts, read 39,240,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
There is no mass market for those things.

Even as of now, the lowest cost cars do not sell well.

The problem is the lowest cost cars are small with six gazillion bells and whistles. If you could sell larger vehicle without all the bells and whistles for same price you might be onto something. Let's say you took a bronco from the 60's and just added modern safety features, modern drivetrain, modern brakes. Everything required to make them mechanically comparable to modern vehicle. No power windows, no power door locks, no radio.. you eliminate all that extra stuff.

I wouldn't be surprised if a vehicle sells quite well if the price were right. I'd love to have one and would immediately begin modifying it.

Old 01-21-2019, 02:34 PM

1,892 posts, read 686,444 times
To all of you citing the Yugo as a comparison to this proposal of a 'no frills car for $1k'?

When it was introduced in the United States in 1985, the Yugo retailed for $4000. In 1985 dollars, which is roughly equivalent to $9000 in 2019 dollars.

So even the crappy Yugo cost 9x that of the price of the proposed magically-cheap car in this thread.

Thus, what is being described here is:
"A car, like the Yugo but an entire order of magnitude less luxurious!"

I can just see the sales pitch. Comes with a 10-day/100-mile warranty!

Old 01-21-2019, 02:54 PM

7,095 posts, read 4,618,612 times
If the car’s simplicity matches that outlined in the opening-post, the car almost certainly would be a “classic”, commanding far more than $1000 on Craigslist. If it were in running condition and relatively free of rust, try $10K… even a lackluster low-performance model from a no-name brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
but... you can still buy used, functional, acceptable (and relatively safe) car for under $1000 (Which saves a lot of energy / manf waste.)
While that's possible, such a car wouldn't have the raw simplicity of which the OP speaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
If you want to sacrifice modern features in order to get a $2k car, you already have the option of doing it - buy a 20th-century econobox with low mileage.
To what part of the 20th century do you refer? Even a 1970s car with carburetor and no ECU, would be substantially more complex than what the original-posting describes. And how many 70s cars – in running condition – remain available on the market? What the OP describes is more of a pre-WW2 car, and those command an enormous premium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Are you delusional? Too much demand for crank window, no A/C, no power steering, no ABS brakes, no cruise control?
This describes my 1991 Miata. A fine car – but by my reckoning, too complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or