U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would there be a market for mass produced simple basic cars?
yes 39 44.83%
no 48 55.17%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 04:20 AM

1,447 posts, read 641,839 times

Advertisements

By simple and basic, I mean none of the bells and whistles of modern cars, no computer systems, advanced emissions systems, modern braking systems, electric window controls, etc etc etc.

just a basic motor that comes in 3 , 4 or 8 cylinders, manual tranny, drive shaft and 4 wheels. a car that anyone with a $50 ratchet set can work on and fix the majority of problems that may come up(no specialized parts). that could be sold for under 2K new.

I have a young cousin in college who did a report on the average cost to build a car factoring in money spent on R&D, labor and materials, the cost of each part. if you strip away all the bells and whistles with todays modern production technology a Functional car or truck could be built for under 1K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 04:26 AM

122 posts, read 19,604 times
Unfortunately there would be no market in the USA, Europe or Asia for such a car as it would be illegal to sell such a car without all the modern safety features.

Old 01-21-2019, 04:32 AM

3,036 posts, read 1,108,617 times
The market is not what consumers want or need, but what they have been persuaded to wish for, in the absence of what they want or need..

Old 01-21-2019, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taksan View Post
Unfortunately there would be no market in the USA, Europe or Asia for such a car as it would be illegal to sell such a car without all the modern safety features.

So cable breaks would be a no no?

Old 01-21-2019, 05:19 AM

6,407 posts, read 6,799,614 times
I'd say so. So yes, cable breaks would be a no no.

Old 01-21-2019, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I'd say so. So yes, cable breaks would be a no no.

But they worked just fine for over 70 years, vs the 40 years power brakes have been the norm, and the 15 years anti-lock breaks have been the norm.

Old 01-21-2019, 05:55 AM

359 posts, read 356,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
But they worked just fine for over 70 years, vs the 40 years power brakes have been the norm, and the 15 years anti-lock breaks have been the norm.

Pretty sure cable brakes weren't used in cars for "over 70 years", unless you were talking about the parking brake which still sometimes uses a cable, but I'm pretty sure you weren't thinking about the parking brake.

I've always found it interesting that if the vehicle has 2 wheels it can be a dangerous as possible (except even they don't usually have cable brakes), but if you have 4 wheels all kinds of extra safety and emissions crap requirements kick in.

To jump back on topic, I don't think there is a market in the USA for a basic vehicle anymore. People here are spoiled and most "have to have" things like auto transmissions, air conditioning, cruise control, apple carplay, etc, etc, etc...

It's only the small minority of true enthusiasts or real tight-wads that would ever consider a true stripper model, and since the manufacturers make much more money by being able to sell a car for 30k vs. 1k, I don't think they are going to start building them again anytime soon.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:07 AM

16,770 posts, read 10,300,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
By simple and basic, I mean none of the bells and whistles of modern cars, no computer systems, advanced emissions systems, modern braking systems, electric window controls, etc etc etc.

just a basic motor that comes in 3 , 4 or 8 cylinders, manual tranny, drive shaft and 4 wheels. a car that anyone with a $50 ratchet set can work on and fix the majority of problems that may come up(no specialized parts). that could be sold for under 2K new.

I have a young cousin in college who did a report on the average cost to build a car factoring in money spent on R&D, labor and materials, the cost of each part. if you strip away all the bells and whistles with todays modern production technology a Functional car or truck could be built for under 1K.

I really doubt that figure. I build cars as a hobbyist, and one time I said I could build a bare bones, no frills hot rod for $3K. I gave up that idea and had $20K in it before I was done, and it had NO frills.

As to the original question, there have been some cars that sort of fit the description you outlined, like the YUGO, of years past. It was a flop and was pure junk. Quality and technology cost money, and with todays requirements for air quality and fuel economy, we can't go back to carburetors and distributors, that is horse and buggy technology.

So, no, a cheap car like you describe would not be a success....people like their frills and luxury.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:32 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,645,754 times
There are 2 examples that say 'yes'..

One is the original VW Beetle.
The other is the original WWII surplus Willys Jeep.

I have owned both. They were a breeze to work on. They were dependable, 'around town' or 'around the farm' transportation. They were inexpensive to own and operate.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:44 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
21,311 posts, read 38,310,292 times
Cost basis on a minimally acceptable car in 2019 will far exceed $1000, possibly closer to $10k. (Delivered to the door of a dealer)

but... you can still buy used, functional, acceptable (and relatively safe) car for under $1000 (Which saves a lot of energy / manf waste.)

Keep driving beaters! Our state licensing scheme caused me to transition to beaters 38 yrs ago.

Works for me (My daily driver cost me $35 and gets 50 mpg on FREE fuel)
Never been to a fix-it shop, Should last the rest of my life. If not, I have plenty of spares

As well as a few extra 1T truck 'workhorses'
$3500 for a 4x4 dually capable of GCVW of 40,000# and delivering a million miles of HD service (on free fuel)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or