U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 10:29 AM

4,666 posts, read 2,418,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Wow. Seconds way from an unpleasant 15 year vacation
We're talking California, I was thinking 25 to life. I would have had my character assassinated as some "racist supremacist" by the entire media, and the other guy would have been "a kid on his way to college, ready to become a doctor".

Really fortunate the way it actually played out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 12:41 PM

10,392 posts, read 13,304,778 times
I used to be bad with this stuff from 18-25 or so. After that, I grew up and cut it out and have had no incidents for decades.

Here comes a cool story, brah:

However, this summer I was pulling out of a parking lot onto a very busy 6 lane divided road. There is a very short lane that extends from the parking lot exit for making a right turn. The speed limit on this road is 40 and traffic regularly moves 55-65. The lane is in no way long enough to accelerate to highway speed into traffic unless you are driving a Ferrari. So traffic is heavy and I sit there waiting for an opening.

Some total jackass starts laying on his horn behind me..insinuating I should be driving into oncoming traffic. I look up at my mirror, look down. He honks again. He's a landscaper in his truck with a trailer with 2 laborers in the truck with him. I look up and raise hands in the "what do you want me to do" . More honking. An opening comes and I finally pull out. He bolts right out and almost causes an accident. Pulls up next to me at the next light and starts rolling down his window. Before he starts talking I say "the acceleration lane is 2 feet long you (numerous expletives). I'm not going to get killed because you are in a rush (expletives)" He starts getting out of the truck..he's a foot shorter than me and probably 10 years older...I do the old "are you kidding me (more expletives)old man?" and start recording on the phone. He gets back in the truck after trying to save face with his workers and people start honking him for not moving, and we both drive off amid more expletives.

He's driving a truck with his business name on it, and a phone number, which I recorded. The phone number and business when googled lead directly to his home. Ie, his (fictional) company name is "O'Malleys ditch digging", the number is listed to "Dopey O'Malley", and the address that comes up is also listed to "Dopey O'Malley". And he certainly looked the part of Dopey O'Malley, the 2 guys with him were not O'Malleys.

Good thing for him I have a wife and kids. If I had nothing to live for....

Moral of this cool story:
-sometimes it's hard to avoid a-holes
-if you're going to be a d-bag, you probably shouldn't do it driving around with you personal information for everyone to see

Old 01-23-2019, 01:08 PM

2,281 posts, read 536,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Oh, man. I'm losing it. I've had 2 road-rage incidents this week where I just HAD to flip the bird or yell something out and Guy #1 followed me, Guy #2 pulled around, got out of his car and got into my face. Maaaaaan. It's gonna get me in trouble some day.

Anyways, with Guy #1, he pulled an illegal U-turn and impeded the flow of traffic in my lane and the adjacent lanes. It was right in front of me so I flipped the bird on him and accelerated away from him. He pulled up to me and chased my butt for 5 miles before I did a dangerous, last-second exit to escape from him. He couldn't follow me and I just got on the access road and then back on the highway. Probably cost me 20 seconds of drive time. I hung back behind him after that.

Guy #2, this guy was an absolute genius. Wow. I went to the local grocer to get literally 4 things (that ended up being 5 things when I saw pistachios on sale) and driving out, I plod along the parking row until I get to the end when I have to brake hard: there was a car there! Why didn't I see that car? Because it's 10:30 PM at night and the genius is driving with LIGHTS OFF, just his aftermarket LEDs on the bumper are on. They don't illuminate at all! I thought it was really close, I braked hard, he didn't brake at all, just moved a little to the left. I high-beamed him, but he kept on driving with his lights off. He turned left, I had to go straight, I instinctively yelled at him to turn his lights on before someone hit him like I almost did. In the corner of my eye, I saw he had stopped and started turning in my direction. So I loop around and meet him. He gets OUT of the car instead of just lowering the window and gets all in my face. "What you say?!" "Sir, your lights are off and I nearly hit you! I told you to turn your lights on." "Awwww, that's what you said? Thought you had some negative energy going, huh? This is a parking spot, you don't have to turn your lights on." Said it when we're in the travel lane, not in a parking spot

(Can anyone clarify the law? I know you don't have to have lights on in a parking spot, but once you're out of the spot, lights are supposed to be on at night, correct?)

"Sir, I almost crashed into you and I just wanted you to turn your lights on. You saw what happened. Are you going to turn your lights on now?" "I'll think about it." "Okay, have a good night, Sir. Take care." *Window rolls up and I blast outta there while watching him in the side mirror* Still didn't turn his bloody lights on.

Sigh. I need to control these stupid emotional outbursts. I can't control what idiots do. I can, however, control my reactions to those idiots. And it looks like in these two instances, I didn't. Oh, well. Guess it's something to learn from. I really haven't had any road rage incidents in the 16 years I've driven, I have no clue what the heck is going on this week.

"Negative energy"? What was that about? Some hippie stuff? Just turn your lights on at night, man. What, are you just showing off your LEDs? Is that why you turn your regular lights on and make people nearly hit you? Whatever.
My response differs from whether it was just a stupid move (single occurrence) or a series of moves that communicates aggression towards ME. Cutting me off is one thing, but cutting me off and then brake checking me when there's no reason for the sudden stop sets the snowball into motion.

Old 01-23-2019, 01:38 PM

5,384 posts, read 2,436,640 times
Yup...it's a choice to be enraged.
Go ride a bicycle...a car isn't for temper tantrums.

Been the recipient of someone's road rage.

Old 01-23-2019, 02:16 PM

3,737 posts, read 3,014,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I used to be bad with this stuff from 18-25 or so. After that, I grew up and cut it out and have had no incidents for decades.

Here comes a cool story, brah:

(snip)

He's driving a truck with his business name on it, and a phone number, which I recorded. The phone number and business when googled lead directly to his home. Ie, his (fictional) company name is "O'Malleys ditch digging", the number is listed to "Dopey O'Malley", and the address that comes up is also listed to "Dopey O'Malley". And he certainly looked the part of Dopey O'Malley, the 2 guys with him were not O'Malleys.

Good thing for him I have a wife and kids. If I had nothing to live for....

Moral of this cool story:
-sometimes it's hard to avoid a-holes
-if you're going to be a d-bag, you probably shouldn't do it driving around with you personal information for everyone to see
In my 20s, I mostly drove a company F250. They were pretty lax about use so that served as my car until gave in and bought my own in 1995 (a BMW 325i), when I was 27. Milked that cow a long time.

(About) 1992, company had us put bumper stickers on ALL company trucks, which did not have too obtrusive logos on the sides (white trucks, blue logos). The bumper stickers:

"(Hank's Engineering) Values our Safe Drivers!
Please report any Unsafe Driving to: (510) 555-1212
Truck number: (666)"

Soo.....I just changed the phone number, last two digits. As an engineering firm, we had great laser printers and it would pass casual scrutiny. Never called out, never changed, but our Operations Manager was a 425 lb guy who could barely move from his office to the bathroom, much less canvas the truck lot. And we took advantage of that, believe it.

Had a bit of temper, as most guys those age did. No one got beat up or killed, but then again Bay Area drivers are nuts anyway. I was just one more behind the wheel. Nothing good came of those days, or that behavior, theme of this thread.

Old 01-23-2019, 03:00 PM

2,713 posts, read 5,221,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Any time I feel like retaliation is in order for something some pr**k did on the road, I force myself to think about my family. If I get into a serious situation, and by that Iím talking about weapons here, what would happen to my family should I not come home. So far, that has been enough to cool my jets.
Trust me, it is NOT worth it.

Old 01-23-2019, 03:04 PM

822 posts, read 2,009,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
Don't engage

Exactly the correct way to handle such incidents. I do not care who was right or wrong. The most intelligent thing you can do when some how involved in such an interaction, is, to:
BREAK CONTACT
I say this after serving as a police officer for over 40 years. You will never win in such a confrontation. Even (especially) if you kill the other person.

Rich

Old 01-23-2019, 03:14 PM

4,703 posts, read 6,298,662 times
The cases of people who get shot and/or killed in road rage incidents is enough to make me not want to engage with anyone regardless of what they do.

I'm wary of even honking my horn at this point unless its truly a warning sound to someone about to slam directly into my car.

Years ago I was behind a car at a stop sign and despite having every opportunity to turn, they would not. I finally tapped my horn, once, briefly.

Next thing I know, the female driver is getting out of her car. She comes back to my car and stands outside the driver's window screaming at me to roll down the window. I just sat there staring directly ahead with the window shut. I think my phone was in the backseat otherwise I would have picked it up. She eventually went back to her car and drove off.

Old 01-23-2019, 07:34 PM

20,133 posts, read 37,014,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
You were in a private parking lot so traffic laws do not apply. You would think people would have enough sense to turn their headlights on even in a parking lot but some people are just stupid.

You are right about road rage is going to get you in trouble one day. There are nuts everywhere and it is best to leave them alone as much as possible. I know every once in a while some a-hole needs to be flipped off and I do it as well. My biggest pet peeve is dumbasses that do not understand how multi-lane highways are supposed to work and they cruise in the left lane holding up faster moving traffic. That is actually the number one cause of road rage incidents.

I don't think so. The big dumb black guy was coming at him. If you reach the point you fear for your life, you have the right to defend yourself. California is a pretty ****ed up state though so you can't really say any rational laws would hold up in court. You never know what those tree huggers and liberal judges are going to do. lol

No. The number one cause of road rage incidents is people who think it is fine for them to rage and that there is any justification at all for them doing so. The sole responsibility for road rage lies directly in the lap of the rager themselves. No one else, no matter what stupid thing they do, so don't make excuses for the rager.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:02 AM

253 posts, read 121,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Oh, man. I'm losing it. I've had 2 road-rage incidents this week where I just HAD to flip the bird or yell something out and Guy #1 followed me, Guy #2 pulled around, got out of his car and got into my face. Maaaaaan. It's gonna get me in trouble some day.

Anyways, with Guy #1, he pulled an illegal U-turn and impeded the flow of traffic in my lane and the adjacent lanes. It was right in front of me so I flipped the bird on him and accelerated away from him. He pulled up to me and chased my butt for 5 miles before I did a dangerous, last-second exit to escape from him. He couldn't follow me and I just got on the access road and then back on the highway. Probably cost me 20 seconds of drive time. I hung back behind him after that.

Guy #2, this guy was an absolute genius. Wow. I went to the local grocer to get literally 4 things (that ended up being 5 things when I saw pistachios on sale) and driving out, I plod along the parking row until I get to the end when I have to brake hard: there was a car there! Why didn't I see that car? Because it's 10:30 PM at night and the genius is driving with LIGHTS OFF, just his aftermarket LEDs on the bumper are on. They don't illuminate at all! I thought it was really close, I braked hard, he didn't brake at all, just moved a little to the left. I high-beamed him, but he kept on driving with his lights off. He turned left, I had to go straight, I instinctively yelled at him to turn his lights on before someone hit him like I almost did. In the corner of my eye, I saw he had stopped and started turning in my direction. So I loop around and meet him. He gets OUT of the car instead of just lowering the window and gets all in my face. "What you say?!" "Sir, your lights are off and I nearly hit you! I told you to turn your lights on." "Awwww, that's what you said? Thought you had some negative energy going, huh? This is a parking spot, you don't have to turn your lights on." Said it when we're in the travel lane, not in a parking spot

(Can anyone clarify the law? I know you don't have to have lights on in a parking spot, but once you're out of the spot, lights are supposed to be on at night, correct?)

"Sir, I almost crashed into you and I just wanted you to turn your lights on. You saw what happened. Are you going to turn your lights on now?" "I'll think about it." "Okay, have a good night, Sir. Take care." *Window rolls up and I blast outta there while watching him in the side mirror* Still didn't turn his bloody lights on.

Sigh. I need to control these stupid emotional outbursts. I can't control what idiots do. I can, however, control my reactions to those idiots. And it looks like in these two instances, I didn't. Oh, well. Guess it's something to learn from. I really haven't had any road rage incidents in the 16 years I've driven, I have no clue what the heck is going on this week.

"Negative energy"? What was that about? Some hippie stuff? Just turn your lights on at night, man. What, are you just showing off your LEDs? Is that why you turn your regular lights on and make people nearly hit you? Whatever.
Soviet, one thing I have learned that in situations like this, people (to include all persuasions and types) do not admit to being wrong. Never.
When I am in the wrong, I wave and try to demonstrate remorse. I have learned not to let [mindless] jerks on the road not bother me too much. Road range confrontation can quickly escalate to irreversible results.
Calm down. It will be okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive