U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 02:09 AM

1,678 posts, read 1,743,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Agree with you. It's more possible for EV to replace internal combustion motors in Europe where driving distances are a lot shorter than in the US. However, I can see EV being possible in US metropolitan areas as long as there are charging stations on the most congested highways where it can take a very long time to drive 20-30 miles. For example, in NYC driving such distances during the rush hour takes quite a long at perhaps 5-10MPH bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Another example: Electric vehicles can be quite difficult to drive in the middle of the winter of the interior of Alaska and Northern Canada. The batteries can't power the vehicle very long, and the driving distances are quite long.

I have read that in order to put enough speed loaders on German motorways, these speed loaders would need more electricity than the German railways, speedloading only a few battery cars at the same time would need as much electricity as the train pictured here, don't know if its true but if it it's true you can imagine the costs, whether in Europe or the US.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 04:28 AM

3,549 posts, read 3,336,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
I have read that in order to put enough speed loaders on German motorways, these speed loaders would need more electricity than the German railways, speedloading only a few battery cars at the same time would need as much electricity as the train pictured here, don't know if its true but if it it's true you can imagine the costs, whether in Europe or the US.
What's a speed loader?

Old 01-23-2019, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
What's a speed loader?

The device to load a battery car within minutes instead of hours, don't know the proper English expression, probably charging station?

BTW does ICE stand for normal cars with combustion engine? EV = battery car, so it's ICE vs. EV?

Old 01-23-2019, 08:32 AM

11,426 posts, read 9,439,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
The device to load a battery car within minutes instead of hours, don't know the proper English expression, probably charging station?

BTW does ICE stand for normal cars with combustion engine? EV = battery car, so it's ICE vs. EV?
ICE is internal combustion engine, yes, so gas cars. ICE vs EV

Old 01-23-2019, 08:39 AM

2,574 posts, read 3,140,932 times
Nope but what I do predict is this debate will still be going on 20 years from now. In 20 years, if this forum is still here, you will come here and this exact same question will still be coming up. Most likely the answer will still be no not anytime soon.

Off topic but in response to some other posts, electric weedeaters and chainsaws suck unless you are dabbling around in a 1/4 acre yard in a subdivision somewhere. They are crap when you are out on some acreage actually doing some work with them. I can carry how many ever gallons of gas I may need but I'm not going to go buy 15 batteries at $150 a pop to have enough to get some actual work done.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:58 AM

2,017 posts, read 3,462,779 times
No, the gas/diesel engines will be around for at least 40 years - pending on some major new source of energy discovery (cold fusion, etc).
We are just finding out the negatives about batteries: new energy to fill up the battery brings extra pollution, disposing of old batteries, etc.

GM had something going about 20 years ago with hydrogen cars, but it was ahead of its time, no infrastructure and danger of riding on HP hydrogen tanks.

Old 01-23-2019, 10:33 AM

8,307 posts, read 7,294,604 times
EV's are not the future, imho. In a warm , mild climate, maybe, if you dont travel very far. But forget long trips, and forget it in cold weather. Batteries lose efficiency at temps below freezing. What good is that electric car when it's zero degrees. Its just a brick. Even if it does run, running the heater will shorten the battery life even more.

Electric cars look good from Ca or to people who live in large cities. Not so for those who live in cold country.

Old 01-23-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
EV's are not the future, imho. In a warm , mild climate, maybe, if you dont travel very far. But forget long trips, and forget it in cold weather. Batteries lose efficiency at temps below freezing. What good is that electric car when it's zero degrees. Its just a brick. Even if it does run, running the heater will shorten the battery life even more.

Electric cars look good from Ca or to people who live in large cities. Not so for those who live in cold country.

I'm wondering how it works in Norway, maybe I should ask this in the Europa forum but your input is welcome as well, doesn't promote Canada EVs too, how does it work there? Doesn't get NYC quite cold as well?

Old 01-23-2019, 11:36 AM

321 posts, read 81,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
No, the gas/diesel engines will be around for at least 40 years - pending on some major new source of energy discovery (cold fusion, etc).
We are just finding out the negatives about batteries: new energy to fill up the battery brings extra pollution, disposing of old batteries, etc.

GM had something going about 20 years ago with hydrogen cars, but it was ahead of its time, no infrastructure and danger of riding on HP hydrogen tanks.

New energy is mostly renewable, wtf? Batteries are 99% recyclable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post

Most of that loss is just using energy to heat cabin. As battery density increases and electric car range gets bigger, the amount used to heat cabin will stay the same, so the % "lost" will keep decreasing.

Old 01-23-2019, 03:00 PM

5,215 posts, read 3,446,421 times
I’m in no hurry to trade in for something with a limited range, takes more than a couple minutes to refill the tank, or with typical battery fashion will have a declining range based on usage/age.

I’d imagine a lot of Europeans do a lot less driving. Traveling a couple hundred miles in a day, while isn’t my every day, is pretty common. A lot of Europeans don’t understand how big the US is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Off topic but in response to some other posts, electric weedeaters and chainsaws suck unless you are dabbling around in a 1/4 acre yard in a subdivision somewhere. They are crap when you are out on some acreage actually doing some work with them. I can carry how many ever gallons of gas I may need but I'm not going to go buy 15 batteries at $150 a pop to have enough to get some actual work done.
^^ they’re totally garbage. I’ve got a gas weed eater, $200ish new probably 8-10 years ago. Maybe changed the spark plug once. Never let me down. Battery ones don’t have enough juice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or