U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 05:47 PM

8,628 posts, read 6,377,514 times

Advertisements

On my last truck, my tripometer was at something like 249325 while the regular odometer was at 249333 when I traded it in.

They reset it when I took delivery.. I never did after that.

But, the new truck has 2 tripometers.. Both measure the MPG automatically.. So, Trip 1 never gets reset, trip 2 I reset on each fillup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 06:33 PM

10,797 posts, read 25,876,242 times
I always reset the "A" trip odometer with every full tank of fuel. I had a vehicle that from new had issues with its gauge unit, so knowing the approximate mileage came in handy more than once, as it sometimes went from 1/2 a tank to critical in short order, including the day after delivery.

The "B" trip odometer I use when I need a precise number of miles driven that can be expensed. You can get the mileage from a map, but you have to plot the route, not always the one followed based upon traffic, accidents, delays, etc.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-22-2019, 07:24 PM

2,856 posts, read 2,601,445 times
Rarely. it's mostly when i want to get exact mileage between two locations. I've gotten to the point of trying to reset it when the odometer flips to a new thousand mile increment and just leave it there for the detailed tenth of mile. Silly I know but part of me likes to keep my mind working doing the math at fill ups myself. I think it's just a habit I picked up from my dad with his pencil and little notepad marking down the gallons of gas and cost each fill up and it reminds me of being a little kid getting to keep the record.

I do use the odometer on rental cars all the time to insure I know when to fill up. Or whether I am close to empty on a rental return and whether to fill up with a gallon or two for good measure in a city i may not be as familiar with and 'time' the return and usage to be optimized.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:26 PM

3,045 posts, read 1,112,693 times
Naw. I get there when I get there. Dead reckoning using paper maps, road signs.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:28 PM

8,690 posts, read 4,089,679 times
I used to for many of the reasons others have stated but no longer feel the need. My 2016 Nissan shows me fuel economy for lifetime, current, and between markers. Sorta like an electronic trip odometer. It also show how many miles remaining to empty and when oil change is needed. For business trips, I take a phone pic of instrument panel at the start and again at the end. I do the math on the numbers for my expense report. I don't submit the pics with the expense report but keep them until paid in case the mileage is ever questioned. For short measurements between two points, just basic math and memory, remember the last two or three digits at the start and subtracting upon arrival.

I suspect the OP asked because many newer cars and mapping apps have other ways to provide the info.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:55 PM

6,690 posts, read 8,866,809 times
I use mine with every gas fill up to check mpg.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:21 PM

10,159 posts, read 10,845,994 times
Yes. I use it to track mileage for work for reimbursement.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:57 PM

34,661 posts, read 53,201,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
I always reset mine with each fill up. My last quarter tank seems to go really fast and I use my mileage and gauge together to best guess.....also just idly curious how many miles I get betweeen fill ups.
Yes. This^^^ Exactly.
World, Europe, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Exercise and Fitness, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:04 PM

6,424 posts, read 3,502,558 times
I reset mine every time I gas up. I log trip miles and total miles on each receipt. Just one of the backups to documenting everything done to my vehicles.

Old 01-23-2019, 03:04 AM

5,295 posts, read 2,389,342 times
Yes.
Particularly when a family member secretly (so they think) borrows it without permission.
They are often amazed when I mention that the car was used recently. Ohh they are smart to park it back in the same spot. Not have evidence of bags or moving items in the car. Instead the one trip counter is reset each time I park it. The other one is usually higher in count so they think I won't notice. The funniest is when I put the ' audio" ding on. It basically alerts based on miles logged. Every 10 miles if my GPS says the destination is ten miles away. The family member asked in conversation what the ding sound was about. I played coy and said...maybe the door chimes if not closed or the trunk isn't latched?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or