U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 07:34 PM

3,049 posts, read 2,786,569 times

Advertisements

They had the new Ranger on this weeks Grand Tour episode.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 07:30 AM

3,902 posts, read 2,068,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
What is that, a 3' bed?
Probably 4' with a mid-gate to allow cargo to enter into the cab.

This is not supposed to carry 4x8 sheets of plywood. It's designed for light cargo such as bikes, scuba gear, camping equipment, et al.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:20 AM

258 posts, read 44,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Not quite.

Emissions were/are up to date. Same with airbags. Could have added more as time went by.
There's more to crash safety than just adding airbags. Small offset collision design was abysmal and couldn't be fixed in the existing platform, for example (the platform had been around since the '80s). The old V6s couldn't be updated anymore. The 4 cyl was also outdated. The truck needed a complete redesign to be able to be continued to be sold in the US. Which it finally got with the new one.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:51 AM

3,439 posts, read 2,020,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Probably 4' with a mid-gate to allow cargo to enter into the cab.

This is not supposed to carry 4x8 sheets of plywood. It's designed for light cargo such as bikes, scuba gear, camping equipment, et al.
Worthless for bikes. My fat bike is over 5' long and even my smaller bike that I fork mount is over 4'

Yech - I will continue with my little Ranger

Old 02-04-2019, 01:21 PM

3,902 posts, read 2,068,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Worthless for bikes. My fat bike is over 5' long and even my smaller bike that I fork mount is over 4'

Yech - I will continue with my little Ranger
If that works for you - great. Others will find this vehicle to work for them.

If you google Fiat Toro Bicicleta, you'll see a similar sized trucklet carrying bikes in the bed. Further, with the factory roof rack on these trucks you can carry things on the roof instead.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:03 PM

5,201 posts, read 5,261,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
There's more to crash safety than just adding airbags. Small offset collision design was abysmal and couldn't be fixed in the existing platform, for example (the platform had been around since the '80s). The old V6s couldn't be updated anymore. The 4 cyl was also outdated. The truck needed a complete redesign to be able to be continued to be sold in the US. Which it finally got with the new one.
Redesigning a vehicle just for the sake of redesigning is meaningless. Although most buyers want the latest and greatest "modern" look. But that is not the point of this thread.

Ford could have sold the previous Ranger forever. Done.

From the original post:

"There is a market for smaller trucks like the original Ranger."

Old 02-04-2019, 02:14 PM

3,631 posts, read 1,014,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Redesigning a vehicle just for the sake of redesigning is meaningless. Although most buyers want the latest and greatest "modern" look. But that is not the point of this thread.

Ford could have sold the previous Ranger forever. Done.

From the original post:

"There is a market for smaller trucks like the original Ranger."
The market is not big enough for Ford to make a profit on so thatís why they also will never bring back the old Ranger size pickup. There would have to be a market like they are experiencing with the new Ranger thatís what Ford wants not the couple thousand that like the old size better. So forget about the old Ranger if you want to build them than open your own automotive company and build an assembly plant to build them for you and your small pickup buddies.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:46 PM

8,310 posts, read 6,798,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
The market is not big enough for Ford to make a profit on so thatís why they also will never bring back the old Ranger size pickup. There would have to be a market like they are experiencing with the new Ranger thatís what Ford wants not the couple thousand that like the old size better. So forget about the old Ranger if you want to build them than open your own automotive company and build an assembly plant to build them for you and your small pickup buddies.
Except they are, they said as much which is why this thread was started. It will likely be more akin to my Baja, but theyíre making something (as is Hyundai).

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 02-04-2019, 06:28 PM

3,631 posts, read 1,014,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Except they are, they said as much which is why this thread was started. It will likely be more akin to my Baja, but theyíre making something (as is Hyundai).
Then it would probably be built in China or Europe, or Mexico.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:40 PM

3,439 posts, read 2,020,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
If that works for you - great. Others will find this vehicle to work for them.

If you google Fiat Toro Bicicleta, you'll see a similar sized trucklet carrying bikes in the bed. Further, with the factory roof rack on these trucks you can carry things on the roof instead.
I googled and these are the first pix that came up!

Think I'll stick with my 6' bed. Or my car, that I can actually reach the roof on.
Attached Thumbnails
Will we finally get a pickup truck that is the size of the original Ranger?-screen-shot-2019-02-04-7.38.37   Will we finally get a pickup truck that is the size of the original Ranger?-screen-shot-2019-02-04-7.38.44  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or