U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-25-2019, 06:35 PM
 
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
3,347 posts, read 907,313 times
Reputation: 2731

Advertisements

Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Are you talking about mini trucks like my '92 Toyota or my Chevy LUV or early Ford Courier or Datsun 620? They were far from useless. You could even get the Toyota as a 1 ton chassis (and small RVs were made from them). Mini trucks served a great purpose for those of us that wanted to make dump runs, or were parts haulers in a compact form that got great fuel mileage compared to full sizers and some even had 8 ft beds for hauling bulkier loads. And they were easy to get INTO the beds with loads even from the sides. Businesses LOVED them as parts runners and delivery vehicles.

I'd have another one of these before I'd have another full sizer (unless I decided to swap out my travel trailer for a 5th wheel):
There’s more people who want full size pickups than small so the automakers are giving what people want, people who want smaller are in a minority don’t forget you will need a full-size pickup to tow your small pickup if it ever brakes down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-25-2019, 06:55 PM
 
Location: San Ramon, Seattle, Anchorage, Reykjavik
1,907 posts, read 801,685 times
Reputation: 2603
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Y

Thereís more people who want full size pickups than small so the automakers are giving what people want, people who want smaller are in a minority donít forget you will need a full-size pickup to tow your small pickup if it ever brakes down.
I would argue that many people do not want a behemoth F150 but Ford can't seem to make a profit on much less so don't sell smaller trucks. That, and most of their buyers are getting older and fatter so need the cabin space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2019, 07:59 PM
 
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
3,347 posts, read 907,313 times
Reputation: 2731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
I would argue that many people do not want a behemoth F150 but Ford can't seem to make a profit on much less so don't sell smaller trucks. That, and most of their buyers are getting older and fatter so need the cabin space.
Ford isnít the only ones so they all canít be wrong because they are in the business to know what people want. And a majority of people wants full-size pickups and full-size SUVs. Because of the new fuel efficiency of the new full-size pickups and SUVs people are switching from sedans to full-size pickups and SUVs. The automakers are only building what people want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2019, 02:03 PM
 
6 posts, read 1,736 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Eww. As if the Honda Ridgeline and Subaru Baja (model they shot in the head some years ago) weren't bad enough...

"The worst of both a pickup and sedan, rolled into one!"

Why have I heard only the best about the Ridgeline? Granted, I know next to nothing about them, but what I have heard from owners is great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2019, 02:06 PM
 
6 posts, read 1,736 times
Reputation: 15
I've been driving a '17 Nissan Frontier for 2 years and have put 19k in stop and go traffic. Aside from the interior being poor it's done me no wrong. It parks in the tiniest of spots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2019, 03:31 PM
 
208 posts, read 182,382 times
Reputation: 241
I wouldn't mind something like the original Ford Ranger or one of the older Nissan compact pickups. They were fairly nice trucks. I would want an extended cab though. Even if I was getting a full size truck I'd want at least an extended cab.

When I bought my car last month I had considered getting a truck, but I just didn't need something so big to drive. And compared to a car, I just wouldn't be getting nearly as nice of an interior and features for the price going with a truck.

How about the Ford Explorer Sport Trac? It had a nice sized interior and didn't seem overly large. I don't think they had much cargo space in the bed though. Obviously they didn't sell well later on since they've been discontinued for several years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2019, 04:38 PM
 
12,634 posts, read 8,602,006 times
Reputation: 4133
We need the S10 BACK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:27 AM
 
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
3,347 posts, read 907,313 times
Reputation: 2731
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsgoingon4 View Post
I wouldn't mind something like the original Ford Ranger or one of the older Nissan compact pickups. They were fairly nice trucks. I would want an extended cab though. Even if I was getting a full size truck I'd want at least an extended cab.

When I bought my car last month I had considered getting a truck, but I just didn't need something so big to drive. And compared to a car, I just wouldn't be getting nearly as nice of an interior and features for the price going with a truck.

How about the Ford Explorer Sport Trac? It had a nice sized interior and didn't seem overly large. I don't think they had much cargo space in the bed though. Obviously they didn't sell well later on since they've been discontinued for several years.
The Sport Trac was an Explorer with a little bed attached to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:33 AM
 
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
3,347 posts, read 907,313 times
Reputation: 2731
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
We need the S10 BACK.
The big3 are not going to bring back the S10, or the original Ranger size pickups again the people who want them is small compared to the ones who want a full-size and it’s a money losing pickup why do you think they got rid of them in the first place. So everyone should get this out of their minds it will never happen closest smaller pickups are the new Ranger and the Colorado. If you all want the s10 back than open your own small truck manufacturing plant and stamping plant and engine and drivetrain planet and make your own and see if you can sell 100 of thousands of them to make a profit, because that’s what the automakers need to sell to make it worth while to make again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:56 AM
 
12,634 posts, read 8,602,006 times
Reputation: 4133
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
The big3 are not going to bring back the S10, or the original Ranger size pickups again the people who want them is small compared to the ones who want a full-size and it’s a money losing pickup why do you think they got rid of them in the first place. So everyone should get this out of their minds it will never happen closest smaller pickups are the new Ranger and the Colorado. If you all want the s10 back than open your own small truck manufacturing plant and stamping plant and engine and drivetrain planet and make your own and see if you can sell 100 of thousands of them to make a profit, because that’s what the automakers need to sell to make it worth while to make again.
I just hate big slow tanks. But if the 2003 S10 Xtreme came back with a factory 450hp V8 i would give up my 610hp C6 Vette in a beat heart. I would be glad to pay 60k for one. Plenty of old S10's to buy, but to make it new again and slap in a LT1 V8 would cost near 100k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top