Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 04:16 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,684,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Why could you not sit in it?

The 4.0 V-6 in my Ranger had torque for days and I towed with it.
For the same reason tall men cannot sit in one----It is not safe to drive a vehicle with you head solid against the roof of the cab or worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 04:30 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,312,825 times
Quote:
Why could you not sit in it?

The 4.0 V-6 in my Ranger had torque for days and I towed with it.
But you could not tow as much as i could and my F150 4x4 with the 5.4 could go places a little Ranger could not. Sorry i hate little pickups I’m a big guy and i want comfort when I’m driving. There is a small amount of people who like small pickups but not enough for the American automakers to make a profit on.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:02 AM

5,686 posts, read 4,596,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
But you could not tow as much as i could and my F150 4x4 with the 5.4 could go places a little Ranger could not. Sorry i hate little pickups I’m a big guy and i want comfort when I’m driving. There is a small amount of people who like small pickups but not enough for the American automakers to make a profit on.
I'll agree wholeheartedly with the towing bit. Not the go anywhere bit though. That Ranger had plenty of torque and I took it into many tight spots where you F150 would not have gone.

I'm 6' even and was comfortable, but no where near as comfortable as my 2005 F150 that I traded the Ranger in for.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:52 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,256,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
To me small pickups are useless.
That's because you have no clue HOW to use them. For a lot of businesses that just deliver small stuff, small pickups were VERY useful. Rangers, in particular were the number 1 choice of small businesses everywhere for delivery or occasional errand running.

MOST of them had no use for a full size truck, one that's harder to get stuff into the bed of, are larger than they need to haul most loads, and get worse fuel mileage, or are harder to park in town, etc.

I worked at an auto parts store and we had a fleet of small pickups, because there was no need for a full size truck.

I've had a number of mini trucks, from Couriers and LUVs to Toyotas and Rangers.

They've all done just about everything I needed a truck to do, from parts running to dump runs to carrying ATVs and towing jet skis. I got a full sizer once for towing a large travel trailer, but found that the Suburban does that better and got rid of the full size pickup.

Old 01-28-2019, 09:12 AM

155 posts, read 123,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
That's because you have no clue HOW to use them. For a lot of businesses that just deliver small stuff, small pickups were VERY useful. Rangers, in particular were the number 1 choice of small businesses everywhere for delivery or occasional errand running.

MOST of them had no use for a full size truck, one that's harder to get stuff into the bed of, are larger than they need to haul most loads, and get worse fuel mileage, or are harder to park in town, etc.

I worked at an auto parts store and we had a fleet of small pickups, because there was no need for a full size truck.

I've had a number of mini trucks, from Couriers and LUVs to Toyotas and Rangers.

They've all done just about everything I needed a truck to do, from parts running to dump runs to carrying ATVs and towing jet skis. I got a full sizer once for towing a large travel trailer, but found that the Suburban does that better and got rid of the full size pickup.

I would say an S-10 was the go-to...

Old 01-28-2019, 09:17 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,256,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homi View Post
I would say an S-10 was the go-to...

S10s were popular but not as popular as the Ranger, which is why the Ranger lasted so much longer.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6038/6...6354e529_b.jpg

Old 01-28-2019, 11:13 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,115,404 times
Cheap mini-trucks were popular in the 1980's because they were the cheapest new car on the lot. Young people bought them -- great for hauling stuff to college, helping friends move, putting a surfboard in the back for the beach. Older guys bought them as a second vehicle for hardware store runs, and they fit in every garage.

I think there's only one way to bring back cheap small trucks and that's to repeal the Chicken Tax. That'll open the door to cheap Chinese, Indian or other imports. Ford and GM have gotten fat off of overpriced luxury big pickups and the chicken tax helps protect that market, so it's unlikely the government will ever repeal that law.

Old 01-28-2019, 01:36 PM

9,785 posts, read 7,051,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Cheap mini-trucks were popular in the 1980's because they were the cheapest new car on the lot. Young people bought them -- great for hauling stuff to college, helping friends move, putting a surfboard in the back for the beach. Older guys bought them as a second vehicle for hardware store runs, and they fit in every garage.

I think there's only one way to bring back cheap small trucks and that's to repeal the Chicken Tax. That'll open the door to cheap Chinese, Indian or other imports. Ford and GM have gotten fat off of overpriced luxury big pickups and the chicken tax helps protect that market, so it's unlikely the government will ever repeal that law.
...and that's the reason that Ford gave for discontinuing the previous generation Ranger. Updating it to meet future EPA and crash testing would've have made it too expensive for the typical purchaser. Those who bought the majority of Rangers did so because it was a cheap to buy, cheap to run, and cheap to repair vehicle.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:36 PM

7,727 posts, read 6,286,329 times
I had an 86 Chev S-10 V6 with a topper on it. I towed a 17' travel trailer from St Pete to Seattle and back one year and St Pete to Nova Scotia and back the next year. Didn't need to tow my house. The seats could have been more comfortable, but we had some good times in that truck.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:45 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,312,825 times
Quote:
I'll agree wholeheartedly with the towing bit. Not the go anywhere bit though. That Ranger had plenty of torque and I took it into many tight spots where you F150 would not have gone.

I'm 6' even and was comfortable, but no where near as comfortable as my 2005 F150 that I traded the Ranger in for.
But the F150 i had went through deeper snow than a Ranger cold go through just because of the tire size and the height of the truck. I’m talking factory not modified but stock, I’m just not a small pickup guy..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive