U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 05:58 AM

158 posts, read 28,371 times

Advertisements

Diesels are stupid because the cost of fuel negates any MPG savings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 06:26 AM

2,760 posts, read 1,902,465 times
Id be willing to bet you could get a very good deal on one of those 4 cylinder trucks in the near future.

Old 01-27-2019, 05:41 PM

16,306 posts, read 27,989,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwh View Post
However it likely has less emissions and a lower displacement allow lower tax rates in some countries so it may not get more MPG but still is better although most Americans would get the V8 as it has same MPG and more HP and Americans care more about MPG then emissions and there is no displacement tax in the US
I have no idea why a lot of people believe that I the US we don't care about emissions. You need to spend some time China, Hong Kong, Korea, and India. European and other automobiles can only be imported after passing the strict US emission rules.
https://www.epa.gov/importing-vehicl...es-and-engines

Emissions are also reduced by making motors more fuel efficient, and in the US the CAFE Standards help with that:
https://www.transportation.gov/missi...cafe-standards

You don't have EPA rules and CAFE Standards in a lot of places overseas, but those who do are doing so because of the US:
http://climatechangeauthority.gov.au...icle-emissions

Last edited by RayinAK; 01-27-2019 at 05:50 PM..

Old 01-28-2019, 12:44 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
21,361 posts, read 38,367,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homi View Post
My fuel for diesels is FREE (as it has been since 1976). I know a lot of A&P (jet mechanics) who have not bought fuel for their diesel vehicles for over 40 yrs.. (Free Jet A)

Diesels are not too picky about what they drink!

Of course many countries price diesel as the USA previously did... ~30% less cost for 30% more energy efficiency. (+15% for diesel fuel energy content and +20% for increased Diesel engine efficiency over petrol). Diesel is a lower distillate than petrol (should be cheaper to make) Taxes / politics excepted.

Come on Algae BioDiesel! grow your own fuel.

Old 01-28-2019, 01:50 AM

1,204 posts, read 753,346 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
My fuel for diesels is FREE (as it has been since 1976). I know a lot of A&P (jet mechanics) who have not bought fuel for their diesel vehicles for over 40 yrs.. (Free Jet A)

Diesels are not too picky about what they drink!

Of course many countries price diesel as the USA previously did... ~30% less cost for 30% more energy efficiency. (+15% for diesel fuel energy content and +20% for increased Diesel engine efficiency over petrol). Diesel is a lower distillate than petrol (should be cheaper to make) Taxes / politics excepted.

Come on Algae BioDiesel! grow your own fuel.

Old 01-30-2019, 02:03 PM

3,410 posts, read 5,587,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
RAM 1500 Ecodiesel claims 27mpg at 9500 lb towing capacity.
One or the other. I doubt an Ecodiesel Ram has 9500 lb’s of towing in it once you hit payload limits and whatnot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
M3.

Problem with boosted engines is they run rich when boosting. Then you get modern turbochargers that you basically sneeze at and they're generating boost. If it's actually boosting going down the freeway at 75 mph, it's just dumb design. Get an electronic wastegate and open it up so it doesn't. There's no reason a 2.7 is going to have any trouble cruising around at 75
Right. Unless I’m hammering the go pedal, my Ram is usually in Eco mode way before I hit 75. At 60-65, it’ll even tease me with 30 MPGs on the MPG display. Being a GM product aside, I’d considering toting one of these trucks around just to see what it’s all about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwh View Post
However it likely has less emissions and a lower displacement allow lower tax rates in some countries so it may not get more MPG but still is better although most Americans would get the V8 as it has same MPG and more HP and Americans care more about MPG then emissions and there is no displacement tax in the US
We can have both and we do. That’s like saying “Nobody buys trucks to go fast”, but Ford sold every last supercharged Lightning they ever made!

Old 01-30-2019, 03:43 PM

17,120 posts, read 18,474,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
RAM 1500 Ecodiesel claims 27mpg at 9500 lb towing capacity.
Maybe the base model single cab long bed with low gears. The loaded quad cab 4x4 Laramie won’t have that rating. Besides the Hemi actually has a higher tow rating. So does the F150 XL at 13,000 pounds. Would I tow 13,000 pounds with a 1/2 ton....not on your life

Quote:
You have no idea what you’re talking about. Pound off pound a real diesel is a better tow vehicle than a gas counterpart. Those ecodiesel Small displacement diesels in 1/2 ton chassis aren’t real tow vehicles.
I’m talking real v8 6 liter or more 3/4-1 ton trucks.

So given two identical 3/4-1 ton trucks identical loads one gas one diesel the diesel will ALWAYS win because not only does it tow easier it gets better mpg while towing. Which is why you buy a diesel. . The difference in fuel isnt enough to make a gasser a better choice. A diesel usually lasts twice as long as a gas engine as everything is built heavier duty

Old 01-30-2019, 04:58 PM

2,950 posts, read 2,721,457 times
[quote=Electrician4you;54298481]Maybe the base model single cab long bed with low gears. The loaded quad cab 4x4 Laramie wonít have that rating. Besides the Hemi actually has a higher tow rating. So does the F150 XL at 13,000 pounds. Would I tow 13,000 pounds with a 1/2 ton....not on your life

You have no idea what youíre talking about. Pound off pound a real diesel is a better tow vehicle than a gas counterpart. Those ecodiesel Small displacement diesels in 1/2 ton chassis arenít real tow vehicles.
Iím talking real v8 6 liter or more 3/4-1 ton trucks.

So given two identical 3/4-1 ton trucks identical loads one gas one diesel the diesel will ALWAYS win because not only does it tow easier it gets better mpg while towing. Which is why you buy a diesel. . The difference in fuel isnt enough to make a gasser a better choice. A diesel usually lasts twice as long as a gas engine as everything is built heavier duty/QUOTE]

This, had a 05 GMC diesel and a 06 GMC with 6.0 same mileage and bought both at same time. The diesel is light years more powerful, it's a joke. Pulled 28ft enclosed trailer with both, the gasser struggled, diesel was a breeze. I average 12 mpg pulling a 16 ft trailer all spring/summer/fall with diesel. The 6.0 got 9 mpg pulling same setup.

Old 01-30-2019, 05:08 PM

17,120 posts, read 18,474,323 times
[quote=wamer27;54299183]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Maybe the base model single cab long bed with low gears. The loaded quad cab 4x4 Laramie won’t have that rating. Besides the Hemi actually has a higher tow rating. So does the F150 XL at 13,000 pounds. Would I tow 13,000 pounds with a 1/2 ton....not on your life

You have no idea what you’re talking about. Pound off pound a real diesel is a better tow vehicle than a gas counterpart. Those ecodiesel Small displacement diesels in 1/2 ton chassis aren’t real tow vehicles.
I’m talking real v8 6 liter or more 3/4-1 ton trucks.

So given two identical 3/4-1 ton trucks identical loads one gas one diesel the diesel will ALWAYS win because not only does it tow easier it gets better mpg while towing. Which is why you buy a diesel. . The difference in fuel isnt enough to make a gasser a better choice. A diesel usually lasts twice as long as a gas engine as everything is built heavier duty/QUOTE]

This, had a 05 GMC diesel and a 06 GMC with 6.0 same mileage and bought both at same time. The diesel is light years more powerful, it's a joke. Pulled 28ft enclosed trailer with both, the gasser struggled, diesel was a breeze. I average 12 mpg pulling a 16 ft trailer all spring/summer/fall with diesel. The 6.0 got 9 mpg pulling same setup.
It to mention a diesel has a higher resale value compared to a identical gasser. Or any gasser counterpart.

Old 01-30-2019, 05:28 PM

2,950 posts, read 2,721,457 times
[quote=Electrician4you;54299287]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post

It to mention a diesel has a higher resale value compared to a identical gasser. Or any gasser counterpart.
Correct, but is it same or more then the higher buy in price? Diesel was a $6k or so option, so when trying to sell both, if it's worth more then $6k then it pays off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive