Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 07:13 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,356,252 times

Advertisements

Thanks all for the encouraging advice. Amazing how a little critter can do so much damage. One thing I read was to keep vehicle clean. I had been keeping it clean since I bought it so the rodents don't care how clean it is. Literally, all I had inside the car was an ice/snow scraper and a couple lawn chairs I left in the back from over the summer. And a few papers in the glove compartment. So, I was shocked.

I do have a cat. He chooses to stay inside where it's cozy and warm. So I had this idea, to scoop his litter and put it near my car. Maybe that will deter the mice.

I read mice don't like mint. So I placed altoids all over my car, peppermint and wintergreen. Then I had this idea to sprinkle garlic powder also. I don't want anything in my car that will attract the mice.

This whole thing got me down. I did call my insurance co but my deductible was higher than the damage done. Plus, I don't want my insurance premium to increase because of the mice messing up my car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2019, 08:11 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Years ago, maybe 50, I had an old maid aunt that everyone loved

One day she started her new Cady only to hear screams and crunches. Seems a family of cats moved in between the fan and radiator to keep warm Blood and fur everywhere

Can anyone play Taps? I knew you could

Animals and cars never played well together!!!!!!!!!

Once, on a cold day, I had to drive back home to get something I'd forgotten. I never did this, ordinarily. I came out after ten minutes and started the car. There was a brief shriek and a loud chunking sound. When I got out, there were two halves of a cat, thrashing around on the driveway. The other cats were stalking around, with their fur standing on end. I never re-started a warm car again, without checking under the hood first or at least making a head-count of the cats.

Old 01-27-2019, 02:00 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
We live on 5 rural acres, right in the heart of field rodent heaven. Keep cars in garage, the only place the car/truck are really available to rodents. We solved rodent problem with this solution. Does not bother humans, our dog or cat. Plugged it in so it covers both doors. Not one in the garage since. 10 years no rodents.

https://gopestfree.com/

https://stoppestinfo.com/79-electron...eview.html#top

Old 01-27-2019, 04:40 AM

669 posts, read 581,372 times
Opened boxes of dryer sheets. I buy them from dollar store. ...hubby puts them under the hood of the vehicles he drives occasionally. ( refurbed clunkers) Dryer sheets stink imho..I refuse to gunk up my dryer with them.

Old 01-27-2019, 05:27 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,043,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
You've been suggested trapping and poisoning. And there cats and varmint dogs like Russell terriers. Personally, if I had a real problem, and could manage a varmint dog, the dog will do a better job. Unless you have a whole passel of barn cats. That's to keep the population down. In my experience, my car isn't a preferred housing solution for the mice until I have an overpopulation - but I don't have the modern-car-tasty-wiring.

But I will share what is absolutely, 100%, guaranteed to get the mice to leave your car. Ammonia. Get a couple of old pots - not aluminum. Ceramic or steel. Take two. Pour a cup of ammonia in each, and put one on each side on the floor. Close the doors and leave. The next morning, before you start the car, open the doors for a half minute, and leave open to air out the car. Remove the pots with ammonia.

The fumes will pretty much have already dissipated by then. It might smell a bit for a few hours, but that won't last long. All the ammonia in that cup or so of liquid is no longer there. It evaporated into gas and drove the mice - and their odor - out. If the mice aren't in the air ducting or interior at all, just put the ammonia under the engine compartment. If they are nesting in the trunk, put the ammonia there.

That liquid ammonia evaporates as gaseous ammonia, which is a deadly poison, and it stinks, as you know. The mice will leave the premises. Generally, for me, this takes no more than one or two nights and the mice will stay away - at least until a new generation comes along that needs to be taught where not to stay. The ammonia has an added benefit of removing some of the mouse odor, as well.

What is left in the pan in the morning isn't much more than water. Throw it away. If you have lilacs, they will appreciate it, although other garden plants probably won't. If you have a mulch pile, throw it there. Or down the drain. Every time you do this treatment start with fresh ammonia from the bottle.

My grandma used to swear by ammonia, and for the longest time I didn't get it. But it is cheap, easy to get, harmless with a little bit of sense, and a great tool in some circumstances.

Good luck.
Yeah, your idea of ammonia might work. But what is the evaporating ammonia doing to metals, plastics and fabrics? I don't want ANY chance of using a material that will cause corrosion.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
We live on 5 rural acres, right in the heart of field rodent heaven. Keep cars in garage, the only place the car/truck are really available to rodents. We solved rodent problem with this solution. Does not bother humans, our dog or cat. Plugged it in so it covers both doors. Not one in the garage since. 10 years no rodents.

https://gopestfree.com/

https://stoppestinfo.com/79-electron...eview.html#top
I also live in field rodent heaven living in a rural area. Unfortunately, I have a dog with very sensitive hearing. He cries when the fire alarm in house accidentally goes off. And don’t have a garage to plug anything in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Yeah, your idea of ammonia might work. But what is the evaporating ammonia doing to metals, plastics and fabrics? I don't want ANY chance of using a material that will cause corrosion.
Ammonia can cause corrosion damage. Not worth the risk especially with newer models being “eco-friendly” I wouldn’t want the chance either of accidentally getting spilled.

Another poster mentioned tabasco sauce. I don’t want to spray anything that might cause corrosion.

I’m going to make it habit to look under my hood every day. I can’t leave it open bc its parked outside. Also, a larger animal might try to weasel itsel in. My parents gave me a frost sheild that has a flap that covers the gap near the windsheild wipers

Old 01-28-2019, 06:44 PM

Default To deter the mice to stay away from my car, I did this

Idk if it’ll work. I scathered a tin each of those peppermint and wintergreen altoids all over my car to help deter mice. I rather use natural solutions bc I don’t wanna harm an innocent cat or dog, or kids that may be around the neighborhood. Also, using something that is a potential fire hazard is something I don’t want to do either. I think mice can learn to be smart enough to avoid the traps and find another entry. And I didn’t want to use something that could cause the parts to rust faster.

I also sprinkled a 3.12oz. canister of store brand garlic powder on the flooring of the car and backseat. I read mice don’t like the smell of it. My sense of smell is poor so it doesn’t bother me. I had some a bottle of pepper flakes and sprinkled half of it in the trunk of my car.

Since I have no choice but to park outside in a cold, wintry climate surrounded by open fields, I really can’t spread anything outside my car.

I also read mice don’t like baking soda but haven’t tried it yet

Old 01-29-2019, 09:58 AM

17,304 posts, read 12,228,591 times
We had tried the crushed altoids deal at one point after a hardware store employee recommended it. Exterminator we eventually hired just laughed. That's candy that they'll eat right up. Sugar is the first ingredient after all. We tried all sorts of deterrents. He said he doesn't know of any that work. Just have to kill or physically block them off.
Myth busting natural mice repellents

Last edited by notnamed; 01-29-2019 at 10:12 AM..

Old 01-29-2019, 10:05 AM

949 posts, read 571,918 times
That may work temporarily. Remember, mice are like humans in that once they find a safe, comfortable place with food they stay put.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:16 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
I have heard that mothballs deters most rodents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive