U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 02:58 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,989,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
I just replaced my tires, so I should not have any problems there.
You can get a flat tire as a result of road hazards, and it might not make a difference how old the tires are.

But as long as you keep a good spare, and have the ability to change the tire yourself, you really don't need roadside assistance for something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 03:01 PM

328 posts, read 482,119 times
Pet peave, membership should be part of my policy,

Old 01-25-2019, 04:15 PM

2,131 posts, read 499,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Seems like their membership costs go up every year and the things they do go down. For instance, they used to tow free of charge but now you pay for the towing. Service calls like battery jumps and gas also has their charges as well. So what the point of joining? Free maps and bumper stickers?
Don't do it. Ask for roadside assistance from your car insurance carrier. I had them for about a year and still get a monthly envelope 9 YEARS LATER despite many attempts to stop the mail. You'll never see it stop.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:22 PM

4,596 posts, read 2,325,890 times
Then there are the unusual situations, such as one road service call I had forgotten about. We were doing a multistage, long-distance move over an extended period. During one of the last stages, I flew back to our home, leaving a lot of items in an unheated storage unit till the new house was ready. One item was my truck. It sat for over a month undriven, during a rare cold spell. Upon returning to the storage unit, the truck would not start. We jumped it from DH’s truck. Several days later, it was dead again; this time a jump did not work. I called AAA, who was there within 15 minutes. The tow truck driver jumped mine using TWO batteries in line with each other. He said that is how he could jump a severely discharged battery.

We would not have known to do that. The service did not cost anything beyond the annual dues.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:35 PM

4,341 posts, read 2,301,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
We've not used the discounts, so can't speak to that.

But we had AAA for decades. Bought it for our kids. Rarely used it, but it was peace of mind. Liked the TripTiks.

Then last year, our pickup wouldn't start and when the neighbor tried to jump start it, he got the cables backwards and fried something. I've forgotten what exactly, but it had to be towed.

AAA refused to do it. Said because it was on our property, it was not "emergency towing."

Went around about it a bit, but AAA was adamant...
Where do you live? Here in California, we have over the years had cars towed numerous times from our house to our mechanics' facility, orchestrated by AAA. No one ever suggested we were not eligible for towing, and in fact, when asked to provide a flat bed truck for towing our car from home, it was no problem. We have Premier coverage.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Where do you live? Here in California, we have over the years had cars towed numerous times from our house to our mechanics' facility, orchestrated by AAA. No one ever suggested we were not eligible for towing, and in fact, when asked to provide a flat bed truck for towing our car from home, it was no problem. We have Premier coverage.
Aren't all AAA independently owned?

Also CA gets to do some pretty cool things like renew their DL in a branch office.

Old 01-25-2019, 06:13 PM

8,314 posts, read 7,074,749 times
Every year I question if I should renew AAA but the few times I need them, they were worth their weight in gold.

Old 01-25-2019, 06:15 PM

8,314 posts, read 7,074,749 times
Every year I question if I should renew AAA but at 80 cents per week, it was worth its weight in gold the few times I needed to use them.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:14 PM

5,057 posts, read 5,126,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
You can get a flat tire as a result of road hazards, and it might not make a difference how old the tires are.

But as long as you keep a good spare, and have the ability to change the tire yourself, you really don't need roadside assistance for something like that.
Don't change tires anymore. Too many nuts driving 80 MPH on interstate and never slowing down. I let AAA change my flat tire.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Don't change tires anymore. Too many nuts driving 80 MPH on interstate and never slowing down. I let AAA change my flat tire.
Short of a sidewall failure, most times you can limp to an exit. I didn't even get a spare with my car. I got a compressor with two hoses - one for air, one for Fix-A-Flat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or