U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 01:38 PM

35,679 posts, read 43,861,555 times

Advertisements

We used to live in the country, and we kept AAA on all our cars and drivers. I used them many times if I locked myself out of the car or had a dead battery or a flat tire. Iím sure we got towed a few times. Hubby was traveling, so I had to fend.

Then, circumstances changed. We are retired, and the car we drive most often has its own roadside service. Hubby is always around to come to my rescue. We canít afford to pay for things we can do without.

If I were a single woman and I didnít choose to change my own tires, I would have AAA for the peace of mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2019, 01:53 PM

2,009 posts, read 2,351,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
We've not used the discounts, so can't speak to that.

But we had AAA for decades. Bought it for our kids. Rarely used it, but it was peace of mind. Liked the TripTiks.

Then last year, our pickup wouldn't start and when the neighbor tried to jump start it, he got the cables backwards and fried something. I've forgotten what exactly, but it had to be towed.

AAA refused to do it. Said because it was on our property, it was not "emergency towing."

Went around about it a bit, but AAA was adamant.

So cancelled it.

Haven't missed it since.

That's really cheap of AAA. Many times car batteries die overnight in your own garage. It's happened twice to me.

Old 01-26-2019, 01:53 PM

2,137 posts, read 502,702 times
Sort of related to this thread but not worth starting a new thread for:

Even if you don't subscribe to roadside assistance with your insurer, it's often cheaper to still use their # to dispatch the tow truck. A 20 mile tow was $88 through Nationwide without coverage.

Old 01-26-2019, 02:10 PM

18,433 posts, read 15,477,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
That's really cheap of AAA. Many times car batteries die overnight in your own garage. It's happened twice to me.

I find that odd, they have towed my car from my property before.

OP is not correct, they do not charge for towing, unless you have a limited plan and get towed outside that range. My fiance travels up north multiple times a year so we get the 200 mile plan.

I love AAA. I've used the car lock out service several times (once while my car was running, lol). Last summer, they saved one of our kitties, who somehow locked himself in my honey's van, with the keys in it. He was in there for hours before we found him, thank goodness it was cool out, and nighttime. Still, the AAA operator said she was making it a priority emergency call because he was in there, and the guy was here within 30 minutes. That would have cost a fortune had we had to get a locksmith.

Now we have the service level which includes a free house lockout, too. It also provides up to one free battery a year if they respond to a call in which your battery cannot be jumped or if their equipment detects it needs to be replaced.

I have also used AAA before where I was only a passenger in a car that had a problem, but since it covers the member and not the car, flat tire service, battery service, lockout and towing extend to the car I'm in even if the owner/driver is not a AAA member himself. I don't think insurance auto service includes that feature, but not sure. It certainly covers all your bases though.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 01-26-2019 at 02:21 PM..

Old 01-26-2019, 02:44 PM

5,062 posts, read 5,129,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
We've not used the discounts, so can't speak to that.

But we had AAA for decades. Bought it for our kids. Rarely used it, but it was peace of mind. Liked the TripTiks.

Then last year, our pickup wouldn't start and when the neighbor tried to jump start it, he got the cables backwards and fried something. I've forgotten what exactly, but it had to be towed.

AAA refused to do it. Said because it was on our property, it was not "emergency towing."

Went around about it a bit, but AAA was adamant.

So cancelled it.

Haven't missed it since.
No. Not quite. Sorry. AAA will tow any vehicle.

There are various "plans" with AAA.

The base plan will tow it to the nearest shop or tow companies repair shop.

AAA PLUS will tow anywhere up to 100 miles. Any time. Any place.

Poster didn't state what plan had.

Best to learn what plans are available and what plan one has.

Old 01-26-2019, 03:27 PM

8,702 posts, read 4,092,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
I believe itís relatively very cheap insurance against a breakdown, dead battery, key locked in your car or for getting a flat tire at nighttime. That alone is worth knowing you can make a phone call and have a service safely change your tire in the dark. Iím more than capable to do thebtire change but at night itís definitely more risky!

You can make the phone call and get the same service without AAA. You'll just pay for it.

Old 01-26-2019, 03:32 PM

8,702 posts, read 4,092,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
AND that local repair shop can fix a run flat tire ??????????

I'm not sure run-flats can be fixed. I don't use them. Way too expensive and rough rides. I'd rather just carry a spare and change it as needed. But there may be scenarios where it makes sense. Like someone for whom money is not an issue but being stranded is life threatening. Maybe someone in remote areas where you can't even get a cell signal. Or someone handicapped.

Military vehicles use them. The President's limo is equipped with them.

Old Yesterday, 05:28 AM

12,320 posts, read 6,417,490 times
I get AAA Plus as a gift. I’d never buy it myself. I have jumper cables in the car and it’s under warranty so if it dies, it’s the dealer’s problem. I can afford the towing bill.

If the car has big miles on it, I don’t trust it, and I’m trying to coax another year out of it before replacing it, I’d get AAA Plus. I normally unload a car the minute I don’t trust it but we all have those years where all the cash flow is going somewhere else.

Old Yesterday, 10:22 AM

4,602 posts, read 2,328,502 times
Many posters mention the old-vehicle factor, but in all my years of owning new and old and having AAA, the age/condition or miles on the car has not made a difference.

The incidents have entailed bad luck or an unusual combination of circumstances. “Stuff happened” that had nothing to do with the vehicle’s condition.

Old Yesterday, 10:40 AM

9,664 posts, read 11,554,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Good luck with no spare tire. How far can one go with a run flat tire?
Depends on the damage.........

I have owned vehicles 100K+ miles and never used the spare once. I have gotten 6 flats on ONE 300 mile trip. Just depends on your luck that day!

I currently have a car with no spare, no run flats. You get a flat, you have to have the car towed. It is a performance car (small gas tank, poor mileage) so I didn't buy it for a travel vehicle but I have considered the no spare factor a few times when I was going on a 100-200 mile trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or