Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 10:21 PM

9,005 posts, read 13,764,883 times

Advertisements

I have a 2013 Nissan Juke that i am leasing. I have to return it in Sept of 2015.

When i went to get an oil change yesterday at the dealership the mechanic said i must go the dealership and get the $30,000 mile service. It costs $500,plus he said i have to get a hubcap,new tires,and a rim.
The total costs would be $1300 for all.

The original reason i got the leased car is because i thought i would not have to worry about maintenance costs.
Nissan does not have maintenance included in their leases.

Does a leased car have to be serviced according to the schedule?
(I do get the oil changed at the scheduled miles/months)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 10:24 PM

If i am understanding correctly,if i have a local car shop do the 30,000 mile service,and something happens,i would still be responsible?

Old 11-08-2014, 12:57 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,227,113 times
Ok
First you DO NOT have to go to the dealer for service. You can go to any mechanic shop for service. The only time you have to go to a dealer is if you need a repair from something breaking that is covered by the factory warranty and want it fixed. A repair is NOT maintenance. Don't interchange the two. They are different.

Why do you need a hubcap tire and rim? Hit a curb? You can find a used tire shop. They most likely have a factory wheel that fits your vehicle.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:02 AM

The Nissan dealer said if the other car repair place does something and it breaks(like flushing the transmission) Nissan will not cover it.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:24 AM

13,715 posts, read 31,011,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post

The original reason i got the leased car is because i thought i would not have to worry about maintenance costs.
Nissan does not have maintenance included in their leases.
At a fundamental level, why did you think you would not have to worry about maintenance costs? Unless a repair is covered by warranty, you have to pay for it. If you damaged a wheel, you need to repair/replace it.

As for the 30K service, you should find out what is required (as per owners manual). Then review your lease to find out your responsibilities related to scheduled maintenance (you should have done this homework before you leased the car).

Old 11-08-2014, 06:59 AM

25,736 posts, read 16,354,005 times
I have a Nissan lease. I bring my car to Jiffy Lube or Tires Plus for all the service including the 30K maintenance.

The 30K maintenance I think is just inspecting fluids and cv boots ect. You can sign off on that yourself, there are many people who still do their own oil changes. Nissan cannot prove that you didn't have that stuff inspected.

One thing that annoys me about the 30K maintenance, they want you to pay to have the cabin air filter replaced. No friggin way am I paying for that. That filter should be good for 5 years unless you live on a dirt road. So no, that won't be happening.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:42 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,881,850 times
Dealer is forcing you into their shop for service. Don't be swayed by that. Leasing a car, you should be maintaining it so I can see getting the routine maintenance done.

If you do go to the dealer, make sure they are doing the required maintenance. I find dealers are famous for doing a lot of extra stuff in their specific mileage maintenance, which in itself is not bad for the car but is not necessary, is beyond what the manufacturer recommends, and is added in to drive up the bill.

If you go elsewhere, get their opinion on the tire, rim, etc.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:19 AM

9,593 posts, read 31,555,502 times
Very interesting scenario JerseyGal . . .

Sounds like just another negative associated with leasing a vehicle.

Others, possibly many on here may disagree but over the years I have heard numerous "scary war stories" when lease turn-in time arrives . . . primary related to those nickel and dime fees related to maintenance / repairs not performed.

I am a firm believer in the old theory . . . "You either fix it now or fix it later when you sell or, in your case, end the lease."

Good Luck

Old 11-08-2014, 09:29 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,142,205 times
The proponents of leasing seem to believe that maintenence is included in the lease, apparently that isn't so. Which is what I was always told when I inquired about leasing. It's a terrible way to pay to drive, you are always going to be making a car payment and still responsible for the maintence costs.

And dealership service writers are the greatest purveyors of doom I've ever run in to. All you have to remember is that the more they write, they more they make. Take your routine maintenence to an indie shop.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:31 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,599,264 times
You have to pay for normal wear and tear items like tires and brakes that wear in normal use. Missing hubcaps and damaged wheels fall under "damages", so forget including those in your "maintenance" expenses as they are neither normal wear and tear, nor routine. While tires are considered wear and tear, if you blew through a set in 10,000 miles by rubbing against curbs or hitting potholes, those could be considered damages instead of maintenance.

The car has to be maintained during the lease, but it does not have to be dealer maintained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive