U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 08:31 AM

2,694 posts, read 1,553,583 times

Advertisements

I'm a three year trader myself. I always pay the car off in three years. I always trade in as a I don't want to deal with the hassles of trying to sell privately. I'm fully aware that what I'm doing financially isn't perfectly logical, but I like driving a new vehicle.

The one thing I do is trade at the end of the year, or just after. I just got a 2018 F150 that stickered at $54K for $44K and got exactly what I wanted for my trade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 11:01 AM

14,235 posts, read 9,117,025 times
Let's work with real numbers. According to KBB, a 2016 ES350 fetches $22K at trade in. It's probably closer to $20K. Private party is $25K which I know I will never get. I have to go into debt for 30 grand to get into a comparable new car....I dunno.

Old 01-27-2019, 05:50 PM

13,672 posts, read 15,450,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
You USED to be correct... way, way back in the early 2000's.

That is no longer the case. A closer comparison would be an Avalon, but I never could figure out why anyone would buy that over a Lexus.
Avalon and ES have always been closely related to the Camry. Shared platform, shared engine, shared transmission.

Avalon = LWB Camry with nicer interior.
Lexus = LWB Camry with a nicer interior, a Lexus badge, and a few options that are not available on the Avalon.

You choose based basically on those things.
1) Do you want a to pay more for a Lexus badge? Get the Lexus.
2) Do you prefer the styling, interior and exterior, of one or the other? Get that one. It used to be more the exterior. Now it's the opposite. They're both ugly now, the Toyota is just subdued ugly and the Lexus in your face chrome ugly. I used to like the Avalon more. Now I actually would go for the Lexus. I still don't like it but it's at least angry ugly which is better than boring ugly. Interior styling is different. Lexus integrates the MMI better (especially the base model) and Toyota does more of the float a big screen out like you're Tesla.
3) Do you want the ML audio, finer grain leather, and adaptive suspension options that are only available on the higher trim ES.

Not everyone cares about badges. Some even dislike them. I'd take a Land Cruiser over an LX any day of the week. That you're driving around in a $90,000 Toyota that just looks like a Toyota is the point. It's not flashy.

Old 01-27-2019, 08:18 PM

14,235 posts, read 9,117,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
You choose based basically on those things.
1) Do you want a to pay more for a Lexus badge? Get the Lexus
I know what I DON'T want. Buy a Toyota at Lexus prices. It's very easy to load up the Avalon close to the ES. This is not unique to Toyota. Maxima can cost as much as the Q50 if you're not careful.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:19 AM

13,672 posts, read 15,450,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I know what I DON'T want. Buy a Toyota at Lexus prices. It's very easy to load up the Avalon close to the ES. This is not unique to Toyota. Maxima can cost as much as the Q50 if you're not careful.
It's easy to load up an Avalon so it's more expensive than an ES. Thing is the Toyota will have leather seats and more options. The Lexus will have vinyl seats and fewer options. I won't say that the badge doesn't matter to me. It just doesn't matter very much. I'd rather have a well-equipped Toyota with leather seats than the base model Lexus and am more than willing to pay the extra money for the Toyota. I've just never seen vinyl seats I don't dislike, and since I'm going to spend a lot of time sitting on them it's way more important than the badge.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:32 AM

7,527 posts, read 5,560,822 times
All things being equal...I think there's something to trading it in still under or just out of warranty...Dealers like a car that can be re-sold and still get excellent financing terms.

Otherwise, drive the wheels off of it.

Of course, if you have the money, do what you want.

If your needs change, they change; life happens.

Old Yesterday, 08:50 AM

11,143 posts, read 13,166,494 times
A dealer won't give you more money for it because there's some warranty left on it. Not sure where that's coming from. Dealers going to low ball you then mark it up and make a profit whether it has a warranty or not. It may be easier them to sell to the next sucker because it has 6 months left on the warranty, but they aren't paying you more for that.

Old Yesterday, 08:11 PM

26,245 posts, read 50,741,169 times
I have a neighbor that trades his tow pickup every 3 years... one time he kept the vehicle a little longer waiting for a new model to come out... he tows 24' merchandise trailers up and down the state 9 months of the year...

His company has bought 20 vehicles from the same Dealer... the dealer told him they were not interested in his out of warranty Ford Pickup as a trade... said he should sell it or they could wholesale it out for him...

This was the first time I had heard about trade in and remaining warranty being tied...

Only time that had come up.

I have seen it with others... mostly high end cars like Range Rover and Mercedes/BMW flagship... remaining warranty is a consideration...

For me... I have only owned one car that came with a factory warranty... and I presently own 50 vehicles... with some being over 100 years old.

Old Yesterday, 08:23 PM

9,675 posts, read 11,573,663 times
just traded a tahoe at the 25 month mark, 48K miles and lost $11,000.

dealer recertifed it as (CPO) and it sat on the lot for 4 months, I got the onstar email that my service was cancelled (meaning it sold).

I bought a set of tires and gas.....did a few oil changes but got to drive a 54K MSRP truck for 11K ($440 a month lost). I'll take that all day long. Bought a leftover new F150 in 2010, drove it 5 years/60K miles for 10K loss. The F150 was my best cost per year deal ever!

Old Yesterday, 09:40 PM

2,694 posts, read 1,553,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
just traded a tahoe at the 25 month mark, 48K miles and lost $11,000.

dealer recertifed it as (CPO) and it sat on the lot for 4 months, I got the onstar email that my service was cancelled (meaning it sold).

I bought a set of tires and gas.....did a few oil changes but got to drive a 54K MSRP truck for 11K ($440 a month lost). I'll take that all day long. Bought a leftover new F150 in 2010, drove it 5 years/60K miles for 10K loss. The F150 was my best cost per year deal ever!
Just traded a 2016 4runner 30k miles, 24 months, cost of $10K. Routine maintenance was free. Traded it in on a 2018 F150 on the first Monday in 2019. Got $11K off the sticker.

Car dealers only screw people who bend over and ask for it.

Edit to add: The F150 with the ecoboost actually gets better gas mileage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive