U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 03:23 PM

1,557 posts, read 1,642,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Any GT model Porsche or 911 made.
Porsche GT cars I agree with. But not just any 911. A base carrera is def no supercar. If we're talking about true supercars, then the only Porsches that make the grade start with GT or the 918 of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 03:27 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,712,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Porsche GT cars I agree with. But not just any 911. A base carrera is def no supercar. If we're talking about true supercars, then the only Porsches that make the grade start with GT or the 918 of course.
Correct, I wouldn't put an NSX in supercar either, because it's not.

Old 01-25-2019, 03:33 PM

1,557 posts, read 1,642,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Correct, I wouldn't put an NSX in supercar either, because it's not.
You should probably look up the definition of supercar then because the NSX ticks all the boxes...

exotic looks
mid-engine
600hp
top level performance... 0 - 60 in 2.8sec
$200K

I assume you disqualify it for "supercar status" because it's made by Honda and not Ferrari, Lambo, etc... the same Honda that makes all the Formula 1 engines?????

Old 01-25-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
You should probably look up the definition of supercar then because the NSX ticks all the boxes...

exotic looks
mid-engine
600hp
top level performance... 0 - 60 in 2.8sec
$200K

I assume you disqualify it for "supercar status" because it's made by Honda and not Ferrari, Lambo, etc... the same Honda that makes all the Formula 1 engines?????
Guess it does, I was wrong. I don't know much about them other then a video I watched yesterday where Tiff from 5th Gear chose a 911 turbo S over it after driving both, so did his counterpart. Hmm....I wonder why MB has won so many F1 titles on last 5 years. Are they putting their own engines on the shelf for a Honda? AMG built engines have 74 wins out of the last 100 F1 races.

Old 01-25-2019, 03:53 PM

123 posts, read 20,285 times
If your question is do I own a car like that that is a practical and reliable daily driver the answer would be no... probably the closest would be various 911 turbos over the years. However my reliable and practical daily driver has 600 hp and a 3.4 sec 0-60 time but it’s hardly a supercar just a stock Mercedes S63 cab. I’m much more inclined to buy practical and more luxurious cars then hyper cars.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:42 PM

2,133 posts, read 499,605 times
Quote:
Corvettes overheat when driven hard for extended periods, especially the Z06 and ZR1.

The only supercar I know of that can truly be driven extensively without worry is the Acura NSX.
Blah blah praise the Japanese car

Blah blah crap on the American car

The mere attitude with which people approach an American car (due to propaganda like this) completely changes the way a driver perceives it.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:50 PM

2,133 posts, read 499,605 times
Seems that an extremely small percentage of people ever personally own them from new. They're often purchased by a luxury car rental company and lent to "wannabe self-made millionaires" for an hourly rate and hefty deposit, abused for a few thousand miles, then sold again when resale holds about a third to half of what it cost new.

This is when your "wannabe super-car enthusiast" picks it up at 10 years old. Congrats. You spent $100k on a used car.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Blah blah praise the Japanese car

Blah blah crap on the American car

The mere attitude with which people approach an American car (due to propaganda like this) completely changes the way a driver perceives it.

And frankly a Z06 or a ZL1 is a more practical usable and attainable car then ANY foreign exotic AND quite frankly faster then most of them to boot.

This was also true for the Cadillac CTS-V for a few years and yet it never got the accolades it deserved.

The Lincoln Navigator is the best full sized SUV and people buy GLS Mercedes....

Donít get me wrong I love a lot of foreign cars and even collect them. But in many market segments US cars are clearly on top. Many of the crossovers coming out of European manufacturers are absolute trash with the main offender being VW/Audi/Skoda/Porsche/Bentley/Lamborghini who all are essentially building exactly the same cars and selling it to a ignorant market that only seeís the badge.
Apart from the 911, the mid engine V12 Lamborghiniís and the Mulsanne nothing made by VW has any credibility anymore.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Seems that an extremely small percentage of people ever personally own them from new. They're often purchased by a luxury car rental company and lent to "wannabe self-made millionaires" for an hourly rate and hefty deposit, abused for a few thousand miles, then sold again when resale holds about a third to half of what it cost new.

This is when your "wannabe super-car enthusiast" picks it up at 10 years old. Congrats. You spent $100k on a used car.
Sometimes you want what you want ... I like very traditional interiors and a certain brand of luxury manufacturers I like only ever seemed to have cars in stock with horrific interiors so I had to order one to my specifications and it cost me plenty compared to what I could have picked up one for that was 6 months old but I wanted what I wanted so it was a price I paid.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taksan View Post
If your question is do I own a car like that that is a practical and reliable daily driver the answer would be no... probably the closest would be various 911 turbos over the years. However my reliable and practical daily driver has 600 hp and a 3.4 sec 0-60 time but itís hardly a supercar just a stock Mercedes S63 cab. Iím much more inclined to buy practical and more luxurious cars then hyper cars.
Did you cross shop a Bentley CGT? The brand new ones interior at night, wow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or