U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:04 PM

3,031 posts, read 1,392,056 times

Advertisements

I buy what I like and don't sweat this stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 07:55 PM

191 posts, read 63,186 times
Default Any used car past 70k miles needs more attention paid to maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
You'd have to get a little more granular to realize what has to get looked at, depending on how long you want your car. Any used car past 70k miles needs all this looked at.

Of course regular maintenance of certain things:
  • Oil changes - 3-5k miles (according to manufacturers - conspiracies abound)
  • Timing chain/belt change - 80k
  • Hoses - There are alot more than just radiator, theres little ones, and they eventually need changing too.
  • Sensors - So many sensors in cars now, they can cause cascading problems if not fixed quick
  • Brake pads - Change them on time and you shouldnt need rotors or calipers ( just look at them)
  • Fuel lines - 70K cleaned out and piston heads cleaned of carbon - whatever concoction is needed
  • Anti-freeze - 70K flush and change

I learned not to buy rebuilt products like alternators and starters from mom & pop shops, because they are ripoff houses. AT least they were when I bought used cars with high mileage.

After 80k miles its just a matter of how much money you want to pour into the car as parts start breaking down one after the other.
Great points folks, I think timing chains are a lot longer lasting then timing belts ever thought of being. That's an important point I would check out whenever considering a new or used car purchase. I also agree that at 70,000 miles or above it's time to pay a little closer attention to your cars preventative maintenance. I also think (wants and needs vary) and that is why the car market is large and varied to serve the hundreds of millions who drive a variety of vehicles. I think we are lucky to be living in a time when all this information is just a couple of mouse clicks away. Another point worth mentioning is just as safe driving is (on you) so is tire air pressure, oil level, lights all working properly, and all the rest of the safety inspection the car manual recommends. You may have someone else preform the inspection and or service, however be it new or old car or truck, see that it gets done for (safety's sake)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or