U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 10:28 PM

12,085 posts, read 8,067,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Not the most recent one, no.

That's because most people are sane enough not to judge the Ody against a sports car. It's fine if you can't tell the difference between driving it and an S2000. Having driven both, well, yeah. We'll have to disagree that the Ody drives like a sports car. The Ody drives like the Pilot. The CX9, which I have not driven, may be better. It's not a sports car either. Actually, you're the lucky one. I miss the S2000 almost enough to pay $15k for a 15-year-old one with 130k on it. You get to save $10,000+ on an Ody and have just as much fun driving it as you would an S2000 plus it's actually practical.
I own both a Pilot and Odyssey, they do not drive alike not one bit. The Pilot does not handle as well because it has a much higher ground clearance than the Odyssey and the tires are much thicker too. As for comparison, nobody is comparing sports cars with minivans. Most sports cars actually are the slowest cars on the highway. I usually see vettes and Porsches drive under 60mph while most cars are above 70mph. I'm sure the owners are not looking to race anybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 04:40 AM

3,359 posts, read 913,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I own both a Pilot and Odyssey, they do not drive alike not one bit. The Pilot does not handle as well because it has a much higher ground clearance than the Odyssey and the tires are much thicker too. As for comparison, nobody is comparing sports cars with minivans. Most sports cars actually are the slowest cars on the highway. I usually see vettes and Porsches drive under 60mph while most cars are above 70mph. I'm sure the owners are not looking to race anybody.
Especially in a minivan lol

Old 01-28-2019, 06:27 AM

13,663 posts, read 15,442,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Especially in a minivan lol
But minivans do have narrower tires, unlike those pretend Corvettes. Small contact patch, winning at the stop lights since the VW Rabbit. #HotMinivans

Old 01-28-2019, 09:24 AM

9,076 posts, read 9,443,317 times
Honestly, driving a v6 with 300HP in an AWD minivan or SUV/CUV is glorious.

Now, I don't mean that in a hot-rod sort of mentality, but more in a practical way. Load up the family and luggage and actually having enough power to merge and pass on the freeway? Worth it, and why such vehicles do have available power. We bought an AWD 3rd row seat CUV to haul the kids around with and it has 310HP. This vehicle weighs maybe 4500lbs empty. It has gobs of low end torque, which means I can get it moving when loaded with up to 7 people and a luggage carrier on the roof. Not a speed demon by any stretch when doing this, but I can at least comfortably merge and maintain speed on the highway.

200HP is fine if you have a small, light sedan and drive alone a lot, but the power comes in handy if you regularly travel with people and gear loaded up. I usually get sub-200HP rentals when I travel and it's scary how underpowered some of these cars are when you have 4 adults plus luggage in the car and trying to merge onto a busy freeway.

Ever grip the wheel, floor it and watch the rear view mirror hoping you can get up the speed in time during rush hour where there aren't a whole lot of traffic breaks? Yeah...not fun.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 01-28-2019 at 09:34 AM..

Old 01-28-2019, 11:18 AM

7,513 posts, read 5,551,257 times
They're heavy cars, that often carry a load of people and tow as well. The power is nice to have when you need it.

Old 01-28-2019, 01:32 PM
DKM

2,288 posts, read 783,164 times
When our Ody is empty (just me driving it) it really moves well and not just in a straight line. The latest Honda J series V6 is a very well made engine, one of the best if not the best natural V6's left in mainline production in the United States or anywhere. The rest of it is well engineered too from the suspension, the braking to the steering. We put it all to the test when driving into Malibu on the weekend.

Old 01-28-2019, 01:42 PM

5,064 posts, read 1,673,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
We'll have to disagree that the Ody drives like a sports car.
Disagree how? No one here has said the Odyssey drives like a sports car. A big sports sedan, yes. Far more so than the trucky ride and handling of most SUVs and CUVs not built from car platforms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Minivans are used to haul people and cargo...
Yep, the way pickups are used to haul diesel engines and full loads of hay. I've seen the ads.

Simply having the capacity doesn't mean they need to drive like a cargo vehicle. Most older minivans did. It wasn't until the 3rd gen ones, built on big-car platforms instead of small truck chassis, that they didn't.

Old 01-28-2019, 02:29 PM

12,085 posts, read 8,067,000 times
The Mercedes R63 AMG - 500HP minivan should be able to take down most pretend sports cars today like Mustangs and Charger. 0-60 in 4.5 secs and 155mph top speed. I think my 2010 Odyssey does 0-60 in about 7 secs just myself.

Old 01-28-2019, 02:45 PM

7,513 posts, read 5,551,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Disagree how? No one here has said the Odyssey drives like a sports car. A big sports sedan, yes. Far more so than the trucky ride and handling of most SUVs and CUVs not built from car platforms.
I agree.

They drive far better than any other minivan. Half the time you feel the body is going to roll over the wheels in most minivans.

The Ody drives like most sedans with a halfway decent suspension...Its miles above the competition which seems to have taken (and has for as long as minivans have been around) their suspensions from 90's Cadillacs, mostly floaty and boat like.

Old Yesterday, 01:13 PM

16,302 posts, read 27,977,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Honestly, driving a v6 with 300HP in an AWD minivan or SUV/CUV is glorious.

Now, I don't mean that in a hot-rod sort of mentality, but more in a practical way. Load up the family and luggage and actually having enough power to merge and pass on the freeway? Worth it, and why such vehicles do have available power. We bought an AWD 3rd row seat CUV to haul the kids around with and it has 310HP. This vehicle weighs maybe 4500lbs empty. It has gobs of low end torque, which means I can get it moving when loaded with up to 7 people and a luggage carrier on the roof. Not a speed demon by any stretch when doing this, but I can at least comfortably merge and maintain speed on the highway.

200HP is fine if you have a small, light sedan and drive alone a lot, but the power comes in handy if you regularly travel with people and gear loaded up. I usually get sub-200HP rentals when I travel and it's scary how underpowered some of these cars are when you have 4 adults plus luggage in the car and trying to merge onto a busy freeway.

Ever grip the wheel, floor it and watch the rear view mirror hoping you can get up the speed in time during rush hour where there aren't a whole lot of traffic breaks? Yeah...not fun.
The Toyota V6 is quite reliable and strong. The one on my wife's 2010 RAV4 is not as powerful as the one on the new Sienna, but still produces 270HP. This RAV4 is a rocket, but she is a slowpoke driver
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive