U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:44 AM

6,443 posts, read 3,510,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I'd buy an Impala and wouldn't think twice about doing so.
Even Consumer Reports likes it.

Better hurry. Impala production will cease in the near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:47 AM

3,054 posts, read 1,397,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Better hurry. Impala production will cease in the near future.
Discontinued sedans are what the OP is asking about.
If they're dealing, I'd grab one of the last ones.
It's a good car, the best of all of the soon to be eliminated models.

Old Yesterday, 11:08 AM

2,582 posts, read 3,145,013 times
The quality was already low on GM and Ford cars. I wouldn't have bought one before they announced they were discontinuing them and sure wouldn't buy one if I was concerned the quality might go down more due to factory workers knowing they were probably losing their jobs. There is a reason they are discontinuing them and even though they try to spin it and say it is because consumers don't want them, it is really that they can't sell enough of them because they keep building pieces of junk and buyer choose other brands that are reliable such as Honda and Toyota. They are selling plenty of them. Pay attention to how many Camry's and Accords you see in a day.

The GM cars have that crap where they shut themselves off at red lights or any other time you come to a complete stop. It can't be turned off. The only way I found to get them to stop doing it is to put the car into manual shift mode but then I have to remember to go back to auto once I start moving again. I rented an Impala for a week that had that annoying crap and it about drove me crazy shutting off and starting back up every 50 ft in Orlando. I now specifically tell the rental car places I do not want a GM car just because of it. I added them to the list of cars I will not drive along with the Nissans with CVT transmissions. It sucks being stuck with an annoying car for a week when you are on a trip and in it a lot.

Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
it is really that they can't sell enough of them because they keep building pieces of junk and buyer choose other brands that are reliable such as Honda and Toyota.
Then the Avalon must be a real turd because sales are continuing to fall despite foolishly redesigning it.
If Toyota was so smart they would've dropped it like GM did with the LaCrosse and Impala. They don't need both the Avalon and ES.
It was the perfect time to dump it as it had reached the end of its life cycle.

CUVs taking over is obvious to anyone who's even paying a little bit of attention. What Toyota did was just dumb.
Now they're stuck with a dog that they just invested a bunch of cash in... and it's only going to get worse.

Old Yesterday, 01:01 PM

7,868 posts, read 11,521,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taksan View Post
I would absolutely go with your first preference... an off lease G80 in fact I’d do everything in your power to at least get her sitting in one because once she tries that out against the competition you’re talking about it will be game over..
I bought a 2019 G80 Sport 3.3T a few months ago and I've been pretty happy with it. One caution with buying one off lease is that you lose some of the Genesis benefits that only go to original owners. For example, not only does Genesis cover the cost of all my maintenance for 3yrs/36k, I don't even need to take the car into the dealership. They have a service valet program set up so that when the car requires service, someone from the dealership come to your house, drops off a loaner, and then takes your car in for service. They then reverse the process afterwards and deliver your car back to you. You don't get any of that (including the free maintenance) as a second owner.

Another consideration is that Genesis provides a ten-year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty in addition to the 5yr/60k bumper-to-bumper warranty to original owners that is not transferrable. If you buy off lease, you'll just get the remainder of the standard 5yr/60k warranty.

Here's a couple photos of my G80.
Attached Thumbnails
Buying a new sedan in 2019-20181118_125621.jpg   Buying a new sedan in 2019-20181118_125656.jpg  

Old Yesterday, 01:09 PM

311 posts, read 75,132 times
Quote:
Then the Avalon must be a real turd because sales are continuing to fall despite foolishly redesigning it.
If Toyota was so smart they would've dropped it like GM did with the LaCrosse and Impala. They don't need both the Avalon and ES.
It was the perfect time to dump it as it had reached the end of its life cycle.

CUVs taking over is obvious to anyone who's even paying a little bit of attention. What Toyota did was just dumb.
Now they're stuck with a dog that they just invested a bunch of cash in... and it's only going to get worse.
Something to remember about Toyota - they are a global company, and they sell tons of sedans in China and Japan. The Avalon was going to get a redesign for their largest markets, and it's no sweat to them to also bring that to the 'States, which isn't anywhere near where the majority of their sedan sales are.

Old Yesterday, 01:29 PM

3,827 posts, read 2,001,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
Something to remember about Toyota - they are a global company, and they sell tons of sedans in China and Japan. The Avalon was going to get a redesign for their largest markets, and it's no sweat to them to also bring that to the 'States, which isn't anywhere near where the majority of their sedan sales are.
Except that it's only sold in the US and Canada so there is no other larger market to justify offering the Avalon.

What keeps the Avalon around is that it is built on the same platform as the Camry and RAV as well as the Lexus ES. It's cheap to build a vehicle around the expensive platform.

Old Yesterday, 02:41 PM

1,907 posts, read 803,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Except that it's only sold in the US and Canada so there is no other larger market to justify offering the Avalon.

What keeps the Avalon around is that it is built on the same platform as the Camry and RAV as well as the Lexus ES. It's cheap to build a vehicle around the expensive platform.
They also sell a ton of them in the Middle East. I was in KSA and UAE last week and half the car are either white Camrys or white Avalons.

Old Yesterday, 03:36 PM

5,330 posts, read 20,959,596 times
Quote:
I think part of the problem is they must have fired the designer before the process was done. IMO the front of the car, especially the grill, looks like slapped on salvage parts.

Old Yesterday, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
It wasn't that cheap. The entire body and interior were redone.
We're still talking several hundred million dollars for a dying product. It wasn't just a nose and tail job like Acura did on their sedans.
They already had two cars (Camry and ES) in the segment. The sales charts are saying that's all they need.
Avalon is the answer to a question fewer and fewer are asking. Someone made very poor decision.

Even so, a dying Avalon blows up the specious argument that GM killed their full sized sedans because they were bad.
They killed them because eliminating duplicate products in a dying segment is the smart thing to do.
They still have the Malibu, so it's not like they pulled a Ford and killed everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or