U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2019, 03:51 PM

7,193 posts, read 4,664,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
I see pontiacs g6 and g8 and grand ams along with Saturns and oldsmobile in fact i see aolds Bravada in great shape here in the frozen state of Michigan. I see Saturn Vues and ions all the time. You must live in a one gas station town if you’re the only Saturn in town.
Absolutely! I see plenty of Saturns locally... more than I see Mercedes or BMW. It's a cultural/regional issue.

By way of another data point, my girlfriend drives a Chevy Cruze. Here in the Midwest there's such surfeit of Cruzes, that we have difficulty finding ours in the grocery-store parking lot. Every 5th or 6th vehicle, it seems - that's not a truck or SUV - is a Chevy Cruze. There have been occasions when two of the same color were parked abreast; which one was hours? But now that I'm spending more time in Los Angeles, I struggle to see even one single Cruze on the morning commute on the I-405 or I-110. If it's a compact sedan, it's going to be Japanese, German or Korean. The only American cars are Mustang/Camaro/Corvette/Challenger, or classics.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 03:54 PM

3,511 posts, read 957,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Absolutely! I see plenty of Saturns locally... more than I see Mercedes or BMW. It's a cultural/regional issue.

By way of another data point, my girlfriend drives a Chevy Cruze. Here in the Midwest there's such surfeit of Cruzes, that we have difficulty finding ours in the grocery-store parking lot. Every 5th or 6th vehicle, it seems - that's not a truck or SUV - is a Chevy Cruze. There have been occasions when two of the same color were parked abreast; which one was hours? But now that I'm spending more time in Los Angeles, I struggle to see even one single Cruze on the morning commute on the I-405 or I-110. If it's a compact sedan, it's going to be Japanese, German or Korean. The only American cars are Mustang/Camaro/Corvette/Challenger, or classics.
You forgot the Charger and 300 for now.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:07 PM

3,866 posts, read 2,031,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
It wasn't that cheap. The entire body and interior were redone.
We're still talking several hundred million dollars for a dying product. It wasn't just a nose and tail job like Acura did on their sedans.
They already had two cars (Camry and ES) in the segment. The sales charts are saying that's all they need.
Avalon is the answer to a question fewer and fewer are asking. Someone made very poor decision.

Even so, a dying Avalon blows up the specious argument that GM killed their full sized sedans because they were bad.
They killed them because eliminating duplicate products in a dying segment is the smart thing to do.
They still have the Malibu, so it's not like they pulled a Ford and killed everything.
I don't deny that the Avalon is a dying model. But I'm guessing the redesign wasn't hundreds of millions.

As I noted, the expensive part (the platform) is shared with 2 volume models and another mediocre selling model. The cost of the platform is spread around and due to the high volume of the Camry and RAV, it makes it "cheaper" to make the Avalon and ES.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:40 PM

3,174 posts, read 1,442,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
I don't deny that the Avalon is a dying model. But I'm guessing the redesign wasn't hundreds of millions.

As I noted, the expensive part (the platform) is shared with 2 volume models and another mediocre selling model. The cost of the platform is spread around and due to the high volume of the Camry and RAV, it makes it "cheaper" to make the Avalon and ES.
It costs billions to do a platform. That is the expensive part.
$100 million gets you nowhere in the car business. Certainly not a nose to tail plus total interior redesign.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:49 PM

1,004 posts, read 366,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post

The Avalon is essentially a Camry with more bells & whistles. If I wanted more than a Camry, Iíd move to a Lexus like going from a Honda to an Acura. The Avalon is kind of an unnecessary model, IMO!

Old 01-28-2019, 07:44 PM

1,996 posts, read 828,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Even so, a dying Avalon blows up the specious argument that GM killed their full sized sedans because they were bad.
They killed them because eliminating duplicate products in a dying segment is the smart thing to do.
They still have the Malibu, so it's not like they pulled a Ford and killed everything.
No, honestly, the GM product is terrible. So are their trucks. If they don't fix their poor design and quality even Ram will beat them.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:20 PM

3,174 posts, read 1,442,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
No, honestly, the GM product is terrible.
Quote:
With a contemporary interior and powertrain, as well as impressive ride and handling, it became one of our top-rated sedans.
Consumer Reports, who aren't normally GM's biggest fans, says you're wrong.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...ngs/110708890/

This horrible product was CR's top large sedan for four consecutive years.

Old 01-29-2019, 03:12 AM

1,919 posts, read 3,564,879 times
Thereís a lot of GM hate on here, and believe me I had some reservations before buying a 17 Impala. But after a doing a lot of research prior to purchasing the car, I felt confident that the Impala was a great choice and a large car at prices that if you know how to bargain, you get a lot more car for your money than a Camcord.

Plus, I wanted a sedan with a V6, that looked great/handsomely styled and didnít have a grill or a nose that looked like someone on meth/drugs designed (A.K.A Toyotaís)...A sedan that rode extremely well, was very quiet on the road and was reliable, the Impala hit all those needs for me.

These sedans can be had for really good deals, especially used. Donít bother with the 2.5 liter 4 banger Impala, itís either the smooth 3.6 V6, or itís a no go.

One thing Chevy got right in this car was the interior quality. It has some of that BMW type fit n finish, no hard plastic on the door panels unless itís the lower half like just about every other sedan out there. Everything you touch for the most part is padded and well dampened. Nothing feels overly flimsy either, even the arm rest is solid feeling compared to most cars, and the hinges are made out of metal instead of plastic. Thatís durability for you.

I donít really care for the gauges, Chevy could have made them more elegant and sleeker instead of looking like they belong in the 90ís, but Iíve gotten used to it.

Thereís a high quality feel about the Impala that the Malibu doesnít have. Itís insane to me that the Impala has won so many awards for being best in class, and having a very high reliability and overall satisfaction ratings all over the web, that it hardly ever sells!!!

I see tons of Toyota, Honda, Benz/Beemer products on the road out here in SoCal, but itís a very rare site to find another Impala on the road. If itís a Chevy, itís either a Truck, a Volt or a Cruze, barely any Malibuís or anything else in between.

Way more Ford vehicles in general in SoCal (San Diego), especially Fusions, sometimes Iíll see more Fusions on any given day than Camryís or other foreign midsize brands. The Fusion is a very nice car, but the Impala is way better hands down, thatís why I bought it versus a turboed Fusion. The interior quality and looks is much nicer in the Impala and the ride quality and comfort is more isolated as well. The trunk space is massive and everything about the car feels well put together.

Nobody ever talks about how Nissan vehicles are mostly garbage which they are, but I guess the more popular thing to do is bash on the Domestics, right?? For building such horrible crappy ďleave you stranded on the side of the roadĒ American branded vehicles?

Those days are behind us, I donít see broken down cars on the side of the road as much as I used to, and if I do, there a mixture of everything, not solely American vehicles like some would like to think.

Last edited by sdlife619; 01-29-2019 at 03:21 AM..

Old 01-29-2019, 07:17 AM

2,908 posts, read 4,561,735 times
Impala premier is real nice and large inside, not like Honda Accord.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:28 AM

4,164 posts, read 2,291,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I bought a 2019 G80 Sport 3.3T a few months ago and I've been pretty happy with it. One caution with buying one off lease is that you lose some of the Genesis benefits that only go to original owners. For example, not only does Genesis cover the cost of all my maintenance for 3yrs/36k, I don't even need to take the car into the dealership. They have a service valet program set up so that when the car requires service, someone from the dealership come to your house, drops off a loaner, and then takes your car in for service. They then reverse the process afterwards and deliver your car back to you. You don't get any of that (including the free maintenance) as a second owner.

Another consideration is that Genesis provides a ten-year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty in addition to the 5yr/60k bumper-to-bumper warranty to original owners that is not transferrable. If you buy off lease, you'll just get the remainder of the standard 5yr/60k warranty.

Here's a couple photos of my G80.
Beautiful car! I really wanted the original of this model (2015 Hyundai Genesis Sedan) same exact vehicle just the change in badge. They had it in a 5.0 V8 N/A RWD model that made 420hp/450tq in that Ibiza blue. I test drove it and the ultimate package had great dampers but it was just too darn heavy for my tastes. My hope is that the G70 will alleviate all those issues in a smaller tighter package (back seat space be damned).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or