U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 01:33 PM

11,506 posts, read 11,869,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
It doesn't matter what you do to it, they're still going to have their porter go over it with a fine-tooth comb before it hits the lot. I'd probably clean everything out of it first, not just trash but all the personal items, but when it gets down to the brass tacks I don't think the cleanliness of your car is going to have much impact.
Yeah, you want to get all the guns, drugs and wads of cash out of the car before you trade it in. It's amazing what I have found under the seats in used cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 01:57 PM

7,522 posts, read 5,556,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Help settle an argument. One person says to get the most for your trade in at the dealership you should fully clean (including interior detail and wax body) the vehicle while another person says the dealership already has a price based upon year, make, model, and miles. I fall in between. Iíll touch up paint dings, remove any possible fabric stains, and do a general wash/vacuum but wonít go beyond normal regular cleaning methods.
I agree with you.

No need to go full detailing but don't have it look like you just got back from transporting a bunch of livestock in the back seat.

Old 01-28-2019, 02:15 PM

9,225 posts, read 7,665,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Yeah, you want to get all the guns, drugs and wads of cash out of the car before you trade it in. It's amazing what I have found under the seats in used cars.
In 1997 I was stationed at a Navy base in Texas. The base security had a service in which you bring them your used car purchase for them to do a drug dog search and full search of other areas most people donít look into. Anything they find isnít an arrest. This being south Texas some drugs and guns were found in these searches.

Old 01-28-2019, 02:47 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,854 posts, read 52,082,710 times
I don't think they care that much since they have one or more detailers they are paying for that anyway. Just don't have a condition that gives them a reason to reduce the value, such as dog smell or un-repaired windshield chip.

Old 01-28-2019, 03:13 PM

5,197 posts, read 2,025,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
I agree with you. I think a clean car can't hurt and will help if you get down and dirty with negotiations.

If you buy a car would you rather see a clean car or a dirty one?
A clean car looks cared for...including mechanically. A well-maintained car is worth more. Assuming you did the maintenance in addition to a fancy wax job that is.

Old 01-28-2019, 03:54 PM

10,579 posts, read 7,566,092 times
A trade in is what it is to the dealer. They consider the year, model, options, mechanical issues etc..

Does it matter if the car is clean, yes and no. When I worked at a dealer we had trade ins that fetched more money because they were clean. We also had some real pigs come in that smelled like an old dog that has been smoking a fat stogie.

What makes the trade in price the dealer pays you is the flexibility your vehicle offers.

If it is clean and mechanically sound they might resell it on their lot which would net the most profit for them.
If they don't want to sell it they will offer it as wholesale to small local dealers that wouldn't want the hassle to clean a disgusting car unless they could get it cheaper than it should be.

The worse thing that can happen to a dealer is no one local wants your old wreck so it goes to auction (think added cost to the dealer) it goes through the auction and no one buys it (think even more cost to the dealer)

A solid clean car will get you more money at trade because there is less that the dealer needs to do to flip it.

Old 01-28-2019, 03:56 PM

3,365 posts, read 916,063 times
Sure clean it so they can see the scratches and small dings that will really help the trade in amount NOT.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:33 PM

1,230 posts, read 889,840 times
I would get any bad odors out. I knew a guy who forgot and left a stringer of fish in his trunk for a week. When he went to trade, he didn't even try to get the smell out. I'm sure they docked him for it. It was his old fishing car, but I still think he should have cleaned it up.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:49 PM

9,046 posts, read 16,027,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
I would get any bad odors out. I knew a guy who forgot and left a stringer of fish in his trunk for a week. When he went to trade, he didn't even try to get the smell out. I'm sure they docked him for it. It was his old fishing car, but I still think he should have cleaned it up.
When I picture "old fishing car" I picture something that they show him a decent allowance for on paper but really only put $100 on it because it's going straight to the auction, fish smell or no fish smell.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:51 PM

23 posts, read 14,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
We got more than our trade in was worth, becasue they wanted to seal the deal on our new car. We did nothing to it.
That's a bit of a red flag, how many ways do you think there are to balance that equation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or