U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 12:16 PM

3,365 posts, read 916,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
There's a disagreement on the thread about the definition of "clean." There's "Clean" as in, I cleaned out my car like I do most Saturdays, and there's "Clean" as in "I paid someone $100 to get this thing spotless." I don't think the latter will do you any favors. But if the car looks like the Pigs have had poker night in it, that's different.

Really? Do you think a used car manager is so dumb that he sees a dirty car and assumes no dings or scratches?
No but why make them obvious why spend the time and effort to clean a vehicle you are trading in these dealers have the blue book and other ways to give you a price Iíve never seen a appraiser take a very close look at a vehicle, they walk around and look for anything that sticks out. Iíve traded many a vehicle in my life since 1973 when i got my first vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 01:50 PM

2,518 posts, read 931,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Help settle an argument. One person says to get the most for your trade in at the dealership you should fully clean (including interior detail and wax body) the vehicle while another person says the dealership already has a price based upon year, make, model, and miles. I fall in between. Iíll touch up paint dings, remove any possible fabric stains, and do a general wash/vacuum but wonít go beyond normal regular cleaning methods.

I'd rather gamble the dealer would give more for a polished up car. Hopefully the car would look like it has been taken care of very well and that helps sell.

Old 01-29-2019, 02:12 PM

9,046 posts, read 16,027,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
I'd rather gamble the dealer would give more for a polished up car. Hopefully the car would look like it has been taken care of very well and that helps sell.
If it's going on the lot the dealer is going to have his own guy detail the heck out of it anyway, even if it's **** and span when it comes in. Clean enough that the car appears to have been cared for is good enough.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:19 PM

38,981 posts, read 46,026,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
^^^This. If it looks like a pig sty the dealer will figure it's not been well maintained overall and you'll get low dollar. If it looks clean and well cared for you're going to get a little more for it.

Old 01-29-2019, 11:31 PM

18,502 posts, read 16,862,404 times
Twenty bucks for having the engine steam cleaned at a car wash is the best money you can spend to get a better price and give the impression you've kept the car well cared for. I had an intake manifold repair and got sick of the antifreeze smell from that and the leaking before. I had it steam cleaned and a maybe 12 year old engine bay looked like it was almost new. I got a jump start from AAA a year later and the driver commented on how good the car looked, especially the engine.

Old Yesterday, 08:49 AM

103 posts, read 52,007 times
If you are trading in you are already saying you are ok not getting the maximum return on your car so, don't bother dumping a bunch of money into a full detail. Run it through a scratch-o-matic, dry it, clean the wheels, vacuum it, wipe down the interior surfaces with a damp microfiber rag and call it a day.

Another thing is what people define as "fully cleaning". You can spend $25 at the local car wash and have a reasonably clean car. If you are obsessive about detailing you can pay someone to do a full detail with paint correction and spend a couple thousand. You are definitely not getting your money back on the latter.

And again its very situational. If you are trading in a dodge K car and the difference between trade in and you selling outright is a couple hundred dollars while sparing you a bunch of low ballers wasting your time, it probably makes sense. If it's an air cooled 911 turbo S... sell it yourself and retire.

Old Today, 08:20 AM

3,422 posts, read 5,478,101 times
As others have said it depends on the overall condition of the vehicle. Lipstick on a pig with little value to begin with isn't going to help. With that being said I would at least remove any trash and wipe down the solid surfaces in the interior. One of the dealerships here keeps their trades headed for auction at the back of their open lot, it's crazy to me that some people won't take an hour or two to at least make their 3-5 y.o vehicle halfway presentable prior to trade. I really didn't even know there were that many people driving around in cars with filthy interiors. A 10 year old beater or work truck is one thing but what I was seeing in newer cars really surprised me.

Old Today, 08:32 AM

2,682 posts, read 1,551,571 times
I've personally experienced too many people who are actually in the business say they don't care about it being really clean. They drive it, make sure it has no major flaws, and make their offer. In my personal experience, dealers have more room on the trade because they can call it a loss.

I always go to CarMax first to get an idea of what the trade is worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or