U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:12 AM

9,216 posts, read 7,656,923 times

Advertisements

Help settle an argument. One person says to get the most for your trade in at the dealership you should fully clean (including interior detail and wax body) the vehicle while another person says the dealership already has a price based upon year, make, model, and miles. I fall in between. Iíll touch up paint dings, remove any possible fabric stains, and do a general wash/vacuum but wonít go beyond normal regular cleaning methods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:22 AM

196 posts, read 53,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Help settle an argument. One person says to get the most for your trade in at the dealership you should fully clean (including interior detail and wax body) the vehicle while another person says the dealership already has a price based upon year, make, model, and miles. I fall in between. I’ll touch up paint dings, remove any possible fabric stains, and do a general wash/vacuum but won’t go beyond normal regular cleaning methods.
They are going to low ball you on a trade in, regardless if it's dirty or not. Do a basic wash/vacuum and get ready to bend over.

Old Yesterday, 10:29 AM

9,216 posts, read 7,656,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_MI View Post
They are going to low ball you on a trade in, regardless if it's dirty or not. Do a basic wash/vacuum and get ready to bend over.
Would they low ball you more if your vehicle looks like a family of pigs lived inside and never threw out the trash and leftover food? I donít do this but Iíve seen some peopleís vehicle that looks like they were trying to make compost in the back seat.

Old Yesterday, 10:36 AM

30,652 posts, read 2,421,255 times
We got more than our trade in was worth, becasue they wanted to seal the deal on our new car. We did nothing to it.

Old Yesterday, 10:55 AM

9,037 posts, read 16,016,948 times
It doesn't matter what you do to it, they're still going to have their porter go over it with a fine-tooth comb before it hits the lot. I'd probably clean everything out of it first, not just trash but all the personal items, but when it gets down to the brass tacks I don't think the cleanliness of your car is going to have much impact.

Old Yesterday, 11:02 AM

10,987 posts, read 41,956,430 times
unless your car is detailed to the professional level that it would need to put it on the lot, a dealer will include that as part of their prep/recon expense for reselling your trade-in.

So, it's rarely worth your time/effort/expense to do much more than "tidy up" the car by removing your personal effects and a modest vacuuming out.

Old Yesterday, 11:25 AM

465 posts, read 341,766 times
I've only traded in one car in my life. I didn't do anything crazy before going in; just shook out the floor mats and removed all my personal belongings. Then again, I'm not a pig and keep my cars relatively clean. I think the dealer already had a set trade in price because they just looked at the car through the showroom window. It was dark and nobody went out to inspect or drive it.

Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM

9,664 posts, read 11,559,783 times
Totally depends on the car. If it is a "wholesale piece" the cleanup won't matter (20 yr old car, 150K miles, just a used beater). If it is a 4-5 yr old, 50-60K mile car then the dealer may keep it and the better it looks then the more you can ask for it. Look for a similar car on their lot, if they are asking 10K for it, then say that your car is cleaner/less miles so it must be worth at least 10K!........just another tactic.

Old Yesterday, 11:48 AM

1,201 posts, read 749,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Help settle an argument. One person says to get the most for your trade in at the dealership you should fully clean (including interior detail and wax body) the vehicle while another person says the dealership already has a price based upon year, make, model, and miles. I fall in between. Iíll touch up paint dings, remove any possible fabric stains, and do a general wash/vacuum but wonít go beyond normal regular cleaning methods.
I agree with you. I think a clean car can't hurt and will help if you get down and dirty with negotiations.

If you buy a car would you rather see a clean car or a dirty one?

Old Yesterday, 01:06 PM

18,772 posts, read 17,105,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Totally depends on the car. If it is a "wholesale piece" the cleanup won't matter (20 yr old car, 150K miles, just a used beater). If it is a 4-5 yr old, 50-60K mile car then the dealer may keep it and the better it looks then the more you can ask for it. Look for a similar car on their lot, if they are asking 10K for it, then say that your car is cleaner/less miles so it must be worth at least 10K!........just another tactic.

^^^This. Really depends on if they wish to sell it again or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or