U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 12:02 PM

10,207 posts, read 14,674,115 times

Advertisements

https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/c...802711790.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 11:19 AM

8 posts, read 1,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
That one seems really expensive for a 2010 vehicle. Why is it so expensive?

Old 02-04-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Purchased two cars off Craigslist this year.

One for myself and one for a neighbor.

Got a 2009 Nissan Versa (regular automatic transmission -NOT CVT). $2750 with two sets of tires/wheels.
No rust. No accidents. One owner. All service records. Runs drives virtually like a new car. 118,000 miles.

Got a 2005 Saturn ION 3. No rust. No accidents. One owner. All service records. Runs and drives virtually like a new car. BUT does need a new drivers power window motor. $1650.00.

BUT. It takes time and few/many short/long trips looking at junkers that sellers state are in "excellent" condition. Holes in exhaust system. Engine loud tapping sounds. Rust. etc.

Again, if you don't know how to look at a car - take a friend along. Part of buying a used car is to size up the seller. Do they appear to be honest? I never buy from a used car dealer. Sadly, on purpose or not on purpose - they know nothing about the used cars that they are selling. And most don't care. But they do know how to talk about how "great" the used car that they are selling. And ALL will state that they are "better" then all the other used car dealers.
What if you don't have a friend who knows a lot about cars?

Old 02-05-2019, 11:50 AM

10,806 posts, read 25,951,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choosecar View Post
That one seems really expensive for a 2010 vehicle. Why is it so expensive?
It looks like the current owner has customized it, so they want the money they put into it. I would skip it as it mentions custom lighting, and that can mean electrical problems over a stock vehicle, and/or hassles to track down how the lighting was customized in the event it needs to be fixed.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 02-05-2019, 03:53 PM

11,194 posts, read 13,221,110 times
Yes you can post links. Some of us will help you as best we can.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:04 AM

25,639 posts, read 61,130,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Purchased two cars off Craigslist this year.

One for myself and one for a neighbor.

Got a 2009 Nissan Versa (regular automatic transmission -NOT CVT). $2750 with two sets of tires/wheels.
No rust. No accidents. One owner. All service records. Runs drives virtually like a new car. 118,000 miles.

Got a 2005 Saturn ION 3. No rust. No accidents. One owner. All service records. Runs and drives virtually like a new car. BUT does need a new drivers power window motor. $1650.00.

BUT. It takes time and few/many short/long trips looking at junkers that sellers state are in "excellent" condition. Holes in exhaust system. Engine loud tapping sounds. Rust. etc.

Again, if you don't know how to look at a car - take a friend along. Part of buying a used car is to size up the seller. Do they appear to be honest? I never buy from a used car dealer. Sadly, on purpose or not on purpose - they know nothing about the used cars that they are selling. And most don't care. But they do know how to talk about how "great" the used car that they are selling. And ALL will state that they are "better" then all the other used car dealers.
My son had an ION of that vintage. It is basically a Chevy Cobalt. he bought it at around 250,000 miles and put another 50 or so on it. It was the most basic car ever with an original sticker price around $10k, but it kept chugging away. Good great MPG too. Downside for him, it has a nylon steering linkage gear (dumb dumb dumb) and you have to take half the car apart to replace it. When that gear stripped out, as it must, it was the end of the car.

When the junk yard tow truck was coming to get it, he decided to blow up the engine (why? because teenager). He tried and tried and could not do it. That engine was a tough little bugger.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:32 PM

Does this Sentra look like a good buy?
https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/c...783583532.html

Old 02-11-2019, 10:28 PM

7,339 posts, read 13,040,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choosecar View Post
Does this Sentra look like a good buy?
https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/c...783583532.html
Here's one piece of advice for you that will probably save you some headaches: Don't buy a salvage car....unless you really know what you're doing, and even then the advice is still the same: Don't buy a salvage car.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:52 PM

3,757 posts, read 3,031,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
I know itís tough to choose in Michigan because the sure volume of vehicles here. And prices are a little cheaper than other states and getting parts is never a problem here. Ford Chrysler and GM have their parts distribution centers here.
Tons of used cars? Huh. Thought the used car market was tight a few years ago. Times change.

Having grown up in Michigan, until 19, and buying as I recall two cars, couple things:

1. In the SE part of the state, things are pretty flat. As kids we had to search for ANY hill for sledding, and there was one (1) within miles. My old man put snows on our cars after Thanksgiving, most but not all years. He never owned an AWD. We survived once he taught me how to countersteer and in-general handle cars in the snow and ice. They plow well, but there are still sketchy moments. Funny, because AWD is more useful here in Seattle...

2. Rust, yep. They used to salt roads like mad, which works great on the ice (go figure) and not so great on.... I remember having my Supra washed weekly, no excuses, at the car wash for that reason alone. Lot of used cars are badly affected, which may or may not be obvious.

3. Line up an inspection beforehand. I did that and avoided one craptastic car, not much money well-spent since it looked legit until that point...but that's just sensible. Outside of a CPO, that's the "only" smart money on a used car.

More generally, Craigslist is a playground for highwaymen, road agents, swindlers, Nigerian dipsticks, second story men, and confidence artists. In there somewhere are great deals from innocents who tell fewer lies than George Washington at the cherry tree, however. Telling A from B isn't terribly hard, but it's always a gamble.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:56 AM

25,639 posts, read 61,130,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Here's one piece of advice for you that will probably save you some headaches: Don't buy a salvage car....unless you really know what you're doing, and even then the advice is still the same: Don't buy a salvage car.
Absolutely.

Especially not a flood car. Worst choice you cam make. Tempting because they are oh so cheap. I wold not take a flood car for free other than to junk it can collect whatever I cloud get for it. After paying taxes on the income, it would probably not be worth the time and hassle to junk it. They always try to tell people that it was not really in the water, just the tires got wet, but the insurance company decided to total it anyway. This is always a lie.

In fact, assume anything a seller tells you that you cannot verify is false.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or