U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 07:13 AM

3,623 posts, read 1,011,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I miss my 2002 Mazda Tribute. I loved the look plus it was a well made SUV. It was fully loaded with a tow package and had premium soun d with a 6 disk CD player and cassette. I have cassettes that I can't buy on CD. I'll have to find a player for the computer where I can transfer them to CD.

That's about the only car I'd want that's newer, if I had my choice I'd have my 69 Mustang and 67 Fastback. Those are my dream cars, when cars were still cars.

I drive a 2015 Mazda CX5 which almost looks like every other SUV out there.
That Mazda Tribute and the Ford Escape were made on the same assembly line at Fords assembly plant in MO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 12:10 PM

4,197 posts, read 3,881,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Maybe you aren't old enough to remember when we thought 80K miles was End of Life?

You will find lots of cars today at 150+.

My recent story....I loved my 2010 German made Passat. At 122K it was perfect inside and out. Then I decided to have the tranny fluid changed. Bad idea. The DSG (trans) started acting up soon after and I got rid of it.

But I have little doubt that I could have gone for more years if I didn't mess with it. Sometimes closed systems are good.

I remember quite well, when those old Ford Taurus transmissions self destructed at 100K, bu not quite the whole 80K and time for a new car, granted cars were way cheaper back then.
Transfluid chnages is only bad if you werent keeping up with the scheduled interval and sometimes, its just random failure.

Old 02-01-2019, 03:57 PM

136 posts, read 69,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
High point in pop music? Ha. Let's say 1964-1974 instead. I can give a million examples. Beatles, Led Zep, Stones, Beach Boys, on and on and on.
Those are all nothing compared to 1940-1949 jazz.
Same for cars. Most underrated eras: 1935-1949 and 2008-2013.
Most overrated: 50s, 60s, 80s. To a lesser extent the 70s and the 90s.

Old 02-01-2019, 04:03 PM

170 posts, read 40,019 times
Actually it would be better to say 2008-2012 era cars

I remember in 2013 lots of new generations were released which cyle ended just recently like in 2017

Old 02-01-2019, 04:17 PM

136 posts, read 69,856 times
Maybe in the USA. In Europe 2013 and early 2014 had fewer than usual introductions. Add a few monts to 1 year until you could see them on the streets in larger quantities.
As for the 40's, their the forgotten génération. Sure because of the WWII production stopped but in the US it restarted very soon. While the 57 Chevy was great, most late 50s and 60s metal's overrated. 1930s, 1940s and early 50s cars had that sturdy-but-classy style. Remember that cartoon where Tom was to get a fortune if he didn't hurt Jerry the mouse (Million dollar cat)? There's a scene in a car from the era. Even real-life cars had very beautiful interiors and grand exteriors. Also the cars in 40s Hollywood movies were great and imposing. Fintails are overrated.

Old 02-03-2019, 03:15 AM

1,685 posts, read 1,758,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthy_ View Post
Considering in pop culture 2013 feels like long time ago and 2008 is like eons away? The reason is cities in Europe are banning all kinds of cars. I don't want to ever buy a post-2014 model year car as I find new cars really disgustingly ugly. But it's like late 2000s and early 2010s cars are underrated. I think 2008-2014 was a high era not only in pop music but also the peak of car styling and design.

I can understand you, I prefer even older cars from lets say 1990 to early 2000s.

Old 02-03-2019, 04:10 AM

12,894 posts, read 8,788,719 times
I also had a 2005 LS2 GTO. Loved the power, but the looks never stood out. Then went to a 04 C5 Vette that seemed slow after coming from the GTO.

Old 02-03-2019, 05:56 AM

5,200 posts, read 5,258,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
The current "big car with no room inside" fad makes it very difficult to find cars that present an overall smart choice. Ugly isn't the word. Useless...for more money...may be.

This is MUCH worse than Fins and other styles. This time around they are making "cars" with worse visibility, worse driving manners and that have less room inside. It's like perfect...if you were trying to design everything wrong.

I did just sell my 2010 Passat (got Toyota Hybrid), but the 08 Subie is still sitting outside. The new Outback grew into an ungainly SUV so we can't buy that brand any longer. We are silly - we want a car where we can see out the windows and fit in into the small parking spaces...and fit stuff in it. In terms of decent choices at a mid-level price, that makes the VW Golf Sportwagen about the only option. We may just give up and get another Toyota sedan.

I do agree that the driver aids and other safety measures in a new care are worthwhile....older drivers should definitely consider the advantages.
Exactly.

It's not music nor is it nostalgia.

Those cars/vehicles had better utility , better seats, better comfort, better visibility, better ergonomics, and better (simpler) styling.

Today's cars have smaller and harder seats. Today's cars have huge center consoles. Today's car have smaller windows in the back.

What is it with all of the curves in the sheet metal? What is it with all of these obtuse odd shaped LED lights (front and rear)? What is it with these huge sharks mouth type front grilles?

If I can't sit in the drivers seat of any new vehicle and my right leg rubs against the center console - I don't want it. My daily driver is a car where both my right and my left leg do not hit/rub against the door or the center console. Find me a vehicle such as this today. Other then a full size pickup truck - which I also have. Yes, I have both a car and a pickup truck.

Bring back my 1976 Chevrolet Chevette or my 1978 Pontiac Grand Prix with the bench seat and the crushed velour seating material. The Chevette was new ($2656.00 out the door) and the Pontiac was used years later.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:06 AM

7,592 posts, read 2,912,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthy_ View Post
I think 2008-2014 was a high era not only in pop music but also the peak of car styling and design.
LMAO!
Now that’s just too cute. Millennials are already becoming old crumugeons.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:11 AM

7,592 posts, read 2,912,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Exactly.

It's not music nor is it nostalgia.

Those cars/vehicles had better utility , better seats, better comfort, better visibility, better ergonomics, and better (simpler) styling.

Today's cars have smaller and harder seats. Today's cars have huge center consoles. Today's car have smaller windows in the back.

What is it with all of the curves in the sheet metal? What is it with all of these obtuse odd shaped LED lights (front and rear)? What is it with these huge sharks mouth type front grilles?

If I can't sit in the drivers seat of any new vehicle and my right leg rubs against the center console - I don't want it. My daily driver is a car where both my right and my left leg do not hit/rub against the door or the center console. Find me a vehicle such as this today. Other then a full size pickup truck - which I also have. Yes, I have both a car and a pickup truck.

Bring back my 1976 Chevrolet Chevette or my 1978 Pontiac Grand Prix with the bench seat and the crushed velour seating material. The Chevette was new ($2656.00 out the door) and the Pontiac was used years later.
Really? Of all the cars ever built the Chevette and Grand Prix where the best examples of old car design that you want brought back? I first I was following but now you lost me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or