Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 09:39 AM

23,859 posts, read 33,518,785 times

Advertisements

I miss my 2002 Mazda Tribute. I loved the look plus it was a well made SUV. It was fully loaded with a tow package and had premium soun d with a 6 disk CD player and cassette. I have cassettes that I can't buy on CD. I'll have to find a player for the computer where I can transfer them to CD.

That's about the only car I'd want that's newer, if I had my choice I'd have my 69 Mustang and 67 Fastback. Those are my dream cars, when cars were still cars.

I drive a 2015 Mazda CX5 which almost looks like every other SUV out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 09:53 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,952,148 times
I have a 2010, 2013, 2016. So I don't miss them since two of them are in the era you discuss and all three came from generations that started before 2010.

What I do miss are larger uncomplicated engines (4.0 V6s and the like), and cars where the radio/head unit are not integrated into the car's computer because now you can't do aftermarket radios and changing sound systems has become a chore. Everything now is turbo 4-cyl w/ start-stop type features.

I do like the way Nissan is doing driver assists in newer cars, very passive systems that help you but do not distract you. But I had a Kia where I turned off the system because of all the beeping and steering wheel vibrations while in traffic.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:50 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,663,106 times
The current "big car with no room inside" fad makes it very difficult to find cars that present an overall smart choice. Ugly isn't the word. Useless...for more money...may be.

This is MUCH worse than Fins and other styles. This time around they are making "cars" with worse visibility, worse driving manners and that have less room inside. It's like perfect...if you were trying to design everything wrong.

I did just sell my 2010 Passat (got Toyota Hybrid), but the 08 Subie is still sitting outside. The new Outback grew into an ungainly SUV so we can't buy that brand any longer. We are silly - we want a car where we can see out the windows and fit in into the small parking spaces...and fit stuff in it. In terms of decent choices at a mid-level price, that makes the VW Golf Sportwagen about the only option. We may just give up and get another Toyota sedan.

I do agree that the driver aids and other safety measures in a new care are worthwhile....older drivers should definitely consider the advantages.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:31 PM

4,684 posts, read 6,132,633 times
I miss how much they were easier to service vs these modern cars with no room in the engine bay to work on them, no transmission dipsticks, lifetime fluids which arent, and throwaway CVT's, thats cheaper for the manufacturer, but screws the consumer afterward

Old 01-31-2019, 12:50 PM

13,641 posts, read 9,696,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
No i miss the 70’s when cars didn’t have all emission crap wich ended the muscle car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
I grew up in the 70's-80's and knew those cars were junk then because every old guy who seemed to know anything said the 60's were better.
After doing some research, I concurred.
The watershed year in the US was 1973. That saw confluence of safety requirements (big bumpers) and strengthened emissions requirements... a double blow against domestic performance cars.

But in Europe and Japan, things remained apace. Some of the most memorable Japanese classics are from the 70s and early 80s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
I noticed that cars in the late nineties to 2000s tend to be built the best. It seems golden age of vehicle engineering and durability.
I'd place the abrupt ending of the "golden age" in 1996... and advent of OBD-II.

Old 01-31-2019, 01:48 PM

169 posts, read 160,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
I have a 2008 Audi S4 Avant. I really like the haulin-ass utilitarian nature. Audi doesn’t change their design very much so that’s not the issue. The issue is trying to find another high performance sport wagon in the US. Despite some recent news that they’re coming back, right now it’s Europe that gets all the good stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
The Audi is okay, but that Honda and Alfa are butt-ugly.
What? Your kidding right? That Honda was the best looking Accord to date! Much better looking than the ugly 2018 model

Honda 2013

Old 01-31-2019, 01:55 PM

3,241 posts, read 6,294,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthy_ View Post
Considering in pop culture 2013 feels like long time ago and 2008 is like eons away? The reason is cities in Europe are banning all kinds of cars. I don't want to ever buy a post-2014 model year car as I find new cars really disgustingly ugly. But it's like late 2000s and early 2010s cars are underrated. I think 2008-2014 was a high era not only in pop music but also the peak of car styling and design.
I miss the car designs from the 1969-1972, that was the peak of car styling. However I wouldn't mind getting a brand new 2010 Lincoln Town Car if it were still available. It was one of the last cars with comfortable seats and enough interior space.

Old 01-31-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synott View Post
What? Your kidding right? That Honda was the best looking Accord to date! Much better looking than the ugly 2018 model

Honda 2013

I agree...I LOVED that new Accord(but disliked every other year that I have tried for 15 years) but bought a Toyota because of a simple thing that Honda refuses to do - have an upward adjustable passenger seat (wifey is short!).

But I drove the Accord Hybrid a few times...STUNNING. Perfect. It's a shame Honda doesn't give it that simple upgrade.

Old 01-31-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I miss how much they were easier to service vs these modern cars with no room in the engine bay to work on them, no transmission dipsticks, lifetime fluids which arent, and throwaway CVT's, thats cheaper for the manufacturer, but screws the consumer afterward
Maybe you aren't old enough to remember when we thought 80K miles was End of Life?

You will find lots of cars today at 150+.

My recent story....I loved my 2010 German made Passat. At 122K it was perfect inside and out. Then I decided to have the tranny fluid changed. Bad idea. The DSG (trans) started acting up soon after and I got rid of it.

But I have little doubt that I could have gone for more years if I didn't mess with it. Sometimes closed systems are good.

Old 02-01-2019, 03:05 AM

7,024 posts, read 4,885,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthy_ View Post
Considering in pop culture 2013 feels like long time ago and 2008 is like eons away? The reason is cities in Europe are banning all kinds of cars. I don't want to ever buy a post-2014 model year car as I find new cars really disgustingly ugly. But it's like late 2000s and early 2010s cars are underrated. I think 2008-2014 was a high era not only in pop music but also the peak of car styling and design.

I know an opinion about music is subjective, but seriously, the high era for music was between 1964 and 1975. Well, for real music anyway. Nothing is ever going to match 4+ 20 by Stephen Stills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive