Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 06:55 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,960,626 times

Advertisements

no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 07:17 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,748,785 times
I grew up in the 70's-80's and knew those cars were junk then because every old guy who seemed to know anything said the 60's were better.
After doing some research, I concurred.
90' saw some improvement since we were figuring out how to make cleaner horsepower. 2000's, kinda the same.
None of these era's stand out for design. Too much hit and miss.
Overall, I like most European brands sold in this country for their looks, and they hold them well. Always have. Japanese cars look new and trendy for 4-9 years, after that they abruptly look severely outdated. At least most of them. Domestics can be bland all too often. I like Chrysler design because they take risks and it works surprisingly often.
But no, I don't miss the 2000's and 10's as a whole. If anything we seem to be doing better today, but maybe I'm just a sucker for trends more than I realize.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:14 PM

496 posts, read 445,400 times
In a way I do. I was in my early 20s then. That was the era when cars were getting kind of like todays cars, but not quite as complicated. They started adding input jacks and USB on some models, plus backup cameras and bluetooth phone on certain ones. And the safety features were increasing with side curtain airbags getting standard on some and optional on most. Like a lot of things they were adding a lot of the current safety technology but it was mostly on the luxury brands then. Whereas now many more models can have it as options and sometimes standard.

As for the body styles, they were similar to the ones today but not quite as streamlined. They weren't the completely rounded jellybean look that was around in the late 90s/early 00s, but were starting to add lines and a more aggressive styling.

There are some cars from the late 2000s I wouldn't mind owning but I'd want a nice example with low mileage which would be harder to find as time goes on.

But yeah, like the others said, it probably has to do with how old you were then. Older generations will appreciate cars of the eras they were young probably.

I was thinking just today of 2007 and it's hard to believe it's been 12 years already.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:29 PM

169 posts, read 160,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsgoingon4 View Post
In a way I do. I was in my early 20s then. That was the era when cars were getting kind of like todays cars, but not quite as complicated. They started adding input jacks and USB on some models, plus backup cameras and bluetooth phone on certain ones. And the safety features were increasing with side curtain airbags getting standard on some and optional on most. Like a lot of things they were adding a lot of the current safety technology but it was mostly on the luxury brands then. Whereas now many more models can have it as options and sometimes standard.

As for the body styles, they were similar to the ones today but not quite as streamlined. They weren't the completely rounded jellybean look that was around in the late 90s/early 00s, but were starting to add lines and a more aggressive styling.

There are some cars from the late 2000s I wouldn't mind owning but I'd want a nice example with low mileage which would be harder to find as time goes on.

But yeah, like the others said, it probably has to do with how old you were then. Older generations will appreciate cars of the eras they were young probably.

I was thinking just today of 2007 and it's hard to believe it's been 12 years already.
I had just turned 20 years old in July of 2013.

I am thinking of 2013 right now and can’t believe it’s already been 6 years

Old 01-29-2019, 10:33 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,593,062 times
I actually do like cars from that era. There was a good balance then. That was the best time for car audio too because the cars had both phone support (aux, USB) and CD players. The cars may have had infotainment systems but less complicated than today. I'm young but I really don't care for having a complex infotainment system, and I collect CDs so it's frustrating that most new cars don't come with CD players.

I also think the cars from that period look nicer than ones from now.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:59 PM

169 posts, read 160,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I actually do like cars from that era. There was a good balance then. That was the best time for car audio too because the cars had both phone support (aux, USB) and CD players. The cars may have had infotainment systems but less complicated than today. I'm young but I really don't care for having a complex infotainment system, and I collect CDs so it's frustrating that most new cars don't come with CD players.

I also think the cars from that period look nicer than ones from now.
This was the best looking car of that era, and it included all audio options you mentioned including CD player

Last edited by Synott; 01-29-2019 at 11:10 PM..

Old 01-30-2019, 02:54 AM

399 posts, read 354,533 times
The mid 00s to early/mid 2010s Audis looked better imo. Ditto for the Jetta Mk6 vs the current one.
Alfa Romeo 159 and MiTo are still beauties, the Grande Punto with its Maserati front, Golf Mk5 and 6 looked better than the mk4 & 7 imo. Peugeots were weird but unique. The 308 is now too bland. The facelift of the 208 made it too fussy. The current Citroen C1 & C3 are uglier than their predecessors. The C3 Picasso was cool for a van. I think that the first decent looking cars of the 2000s arrived circa 2003 - the quirky Megane II, the first gen Mazda3, the Citroen C3. But by 2007-8 even Hyundai and Kia were releasing beautiful cars. the ToyoBaru GT86 was launched at that time frame. I also think the newest Ford Fiesta looks duller. The second gen Hyundai i30 looked better imo than the current one. The new Elantra also lost the edginess of its predecessor. I will never buy a car made in the years 2015-2019, except if it's a model that was launched in before the second half of 2014 (the tiny Peugeot 208 or Dacia Duster or Sandero for example, we have small roads here). And yeah 2008-2014 was a completely different era, no terrorism in Europe, a Democrat for a POTUS, Disney channel was still watchable and the best era of pop music since 1990.

Old 01-30-2019, 05:35 AM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
Whats to miss?

Old 01-30-2019, 06:50 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Miss them? Look around, those are the majority of the cars on the road.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:13 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Last I saw, the average age of cars on the road is 12.something years old. thus, most cars on the road are form that time period. those are pretty new cars. In fact our "new cars" are 2006 and 2009. The rest of our cars are from the 1970s 1980s and 1990s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive